ACC Blog: Bentley Continental - Second Generation

Chris

Premium
Bentley1.jpg
The next instalment of the informative and insightful development blogs regarding the beautifully replicated vehicles in Assetto Corsa Competizione has been released by Aris Vasilakos. In this episode he takes a detailed look into the second generation of the Bentley Continental GT3, more affectionately known in the online community as the "Boatley".

After the initial success of the 1st generation Bentley, during 2017 it was clear that the opponents had move to much more aggressive designs, Not even a favourable BoP to the engine power could help the big Bentley against the Blancpain GT series dominators.

Enter the 2nd generation, based on the brand new road model. Completely redesigned to every single part, focusing to maintain the strong points of the old car while improving on everything else, especially some of the most evident shortcomings.

The new car has a transaxle configuration of engine and gearbox. This means that the gearbox has moved back to the rear axle leaving room for the front mounted engine to be installed more rearwards and lower. This lowers the CoG and moves the weight bias backwards, closer to a 50:50 distribution, greatly benefiting traction and handling. It also permits for all the front radiators to move even more backwards, massively improving the aerodynamic design of the front end. Speaking of front end, it now has a much shorter overhang permitting the car to ride lower without risking of breaking the front splitter over kerbs which was one of the big shortcomings of the original car. Even though the car has a shorter front splitter, it manages to achieve the same high levels of downforce while also controlling the flow to the rest of the body of the car.

Bentley2.png

The rear placed gearbox is not without compromises. The size and depth of rear diffuser is a tiny bit smaller than the old model, but perfect design and development guarantees similar or better downforce levels. The big difference and main focus of the aerodynamic design was to minimise drag. We all know that the Bentley is a massive car with a big frontal area. Many hours in aero testing have been used to make the car as aerodynamic efficient as possible. Incredibly enough, not only they achieve great improvement but they even improved the looks, which was actually a requirement of the manufacturer as they wanted to maintain the elegant looks for their racing clients. Indeed the car is a stunner!

The 2nd generation Bentley also maintains the same twin turbo engine. A well tested engine, reliable, efficient and powerful in all the power band. It now sports even better electronic control and much improved Traction Control, one of the big issues of the old model. It also keeps the costs controlled as there was no need on developing from scratch a brand new engine.

Being a Bentley it remains a very big car, the wheelbase is almost 3 meters long! The improved weight balance, the lower CoG and the downforce, will definitely let you feel the grip in turn in, mid corner lateral grip and traction out of the corners, but the agility is not the best there is. Still, in GT racing, the gained stability from such a long wheelbase is always an advantage, making the car easy to push and exploit its full potential, especially on long fast sweeps.

Bentley3.jpg

The chassis is brand new, with improved stiffness while remaining light. The improved suspension geometry helps to get the most out of the big engine. It pays to setup the car in a way to take advantage of its high levels of grip and stability. You can even get alone with more neutral or even oversteery setups and control the car with the steering wheel and accelerator, out of the corners. Try to take round lines with high mid corner speed. You can force the turn in with a bit of trail braking which in the case of the Bentley will slowly over rotate the car. Don’t exaggerate of course, you still have slicks and high downforce to keep under control. The length of the car and the higher inertia will help you to control better a bit of sliding. Point the car to the exit and unleash the generous V8. As with the first Bentley, the new model also has an excellent behaviour over kerbs. Obviously the car isn’t agile and sometimes you need to be aware where the rear end will be after the turn in (sounds like a truck advice), but you can still jump over the kerbs without the car getting too much out of shape

Same powerful engine as the older model, much improved aerodynamics, brakes, chassis, electronics and suspension, one would think that the Bentley was about to dominate the new season. Balance of Performance has a different idea…

In the testing it got evident how the car was improved all around while the big engine could finally push the car in much higher speeds because of the lower aero drag. As you can imagine, the BoP acts precisely to lower the engine output and bring the acceleration and top speed of the car, back to the levels of the rest of the field. It is actually the first “big” frontal area car that has much less than 550bhp (which usually all the big cars are allowed).

Combining the unexpected BoP and the fact that the car was brand new so the team had to explore its potential, it’s not surprising the during 2018 the car performed well but not exceptionally. An updated BoP update at Barcelona, with even less turbo boost for the final race, hints that the team was finding much pace with the car, but the organisation wanted to limit them for the last race and possibly for the future… 2019 is underway and the car already performs very well.

Original article HERE.

For more from the world of ACC, why not head over to our Assetto Corsa Competizione sub forum and get yourself into the thick of the action? We have a great and knowledgeable community, plus some pretty epic League and Club Racing events, if I do say so myself. Go on, treat yourself!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Had before some laps with the Gtr and for me its was quite hard to throw it in the corners.

Actually tested the Big Ben :D and its surprisingly agile in tight corners.Its funny to drive this tank. ;)
Like it:)

Btw. I see the night screeshot and wondering why there is visible the glowing brake disc?:cautious:
I am using now the 1.02 beta and it seems that this effect is deactivated.
The same is that the shifting Leds do not "glow". Hard to explain....
My graphic settings are maxed so did i overseen something?

Last edited:
I'm SO conflicted...
Love the Bentley as it has British heritage etc.
Plus it looks so mean this year, and it handles so well that an idiot, I.e. me, can drive it very well with minimal mistakes over a long distance.
But then you have the Aston... it sounds so flipping awesome but it just doesn't handle as well and is not so forgiving.
Audi R8 GT3... what can I say? I'd beg to argue that if anyone has watched the Bathurst onboard lap of an Audi R8 GT3, that if you have any racing soul at all, it would make your goosebumps have goosebumps, and it doesn't even stop there...
This car makes me look good. But then the rest of them just feel and sound so real that I want to drive them all well.
Yes, I've had a few drinks at a BBQ and I apologise for my ramblings, but I think I may still have the same thought process sober... oops. :thumbsup:;)

My first few corners with the new big ben was like "that's illegal! it shouldn't be able to sail around these corners like that" :D
And yet the drivers in both Blancpain Europe and USA seem to be able to do just that.
Makes you wonder if they have either managed to trim the car down so much that it's just a large light shell, or whether they have managed to obtain a favourable BoP from the organisers?
Conspiracy theory I know. But if that were the case I'd assume Ferrari would have been all over that from the get go if their F1 programme is anything to go by... :whistling:

And yet the drivers in both Blancpain Europe and USA seem to be able to do just that.
Makes you wonder if they have either managed to trim the car down so much that it's just a large light shell, or whether they have managed to obtain a favourable BoP from the organisers?
Conspiracy theory I know. But if that were the case I'd assume Ferrari would have been all over that from the get go if their F1 programme is anything to go by... :whistling:

Sure i read they were allowed more bhp due to the weight and aerodynamic penalty because of the sheer size of the Bentley to help with BoP.
I think it's great that a non-supercar is out there winning races in GT3 categories and it's my default pick in ACC as well.
#BoatleyForLyfe

But then you have the Aston... it sounds so flipping awesome but it just doesn't handle as well and is not so forgiving.

I want to love the Aston but I just can't get on with it at all. Even once I get over the numbness from the wheel at the limit and manage a slightly sharper setup the fun turns to frustration during a race where my pace is lacking compared to any other car.

I'm still playing with setups but I'm running out of patience, hopefully the 2019 AM works better for me.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 98 14.0%