ACC 4090 Reverb G2 OpenXR toolkit CAS 100

HI all, for those that use openXR toolkit and ACC, I just got a 4090 and 13900KF and tested some settings to see if I can finally play ACC in VR to my satisfaction. For those who never tried, I finally got the sharpness and clarity issues solved with this game. Feels like a miracle. The most important setting is the openXR toolkit and enable CAS and set to 100%. Any sim racing title will look so crisp and sharp in distance and close without needing to bump the resolution far above 100%. Much better than ingame sharpness settings. No need for having custom Engine.ini settings. I have everything default.

Ingame openXR toolkit settings:
- Enable CAS and set to 100%.
- Optionally use FFR to Quality Wide or Performance Wide.

I have also put an opencomposite.ini file where the openvr_api.dll is, with settings:
admitUnknownProps=enabled
enableHiddenMeshFix=enabled
hiddenMeshVerticalScale=0.8

In ACC video settings, I've attached my json but most importantly:
-Set resolution to 100% or higher (I use 110%)
-Keep pixel density 100%
-Turn off temporal upsampling
-Turn off advanced sharpen filter
-Set sharpness to just 25% (doesn't need to be high can also be 0%).
-Other settings set to preference I run mostly high and couple on epic and have HLOD off (I can get in corner otherwise framedrop suddenly.)

Even in night, day/night transitions I got steady 90 fps with quite extreme high/epic settings. I could turn more to epic but want to leave some headroom.

Attachments

• VR4090CAS100.json
    1.2 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks for sharing! I haven't touched ACC in ages because VR always looked horrendous compared to iRacing and AMS2, but your post has given me the motivation to give it another shot. Please do update if you've changed anything since your original post.

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing! I haven't touched ACC in ages because VR always looked horrendous compared to iRacing and AMS2, but your post has given me the motivation to give it another shot. Please do update if you've changed anything since your original post.
Sharpness wise I'm still happy. I did up sharpness ingame to 50%. But keep temporal upsampling and advanced sharpen filter off. Bloom noticed epic can sometimes give me dip to 89 fps so depending on track I put it on high.
Only thing still happening is trees textures popping in with more detail when driving. But CAS 100% is the big game changer. For other games like Rf2 I set it to 90% CAS as its already extremely sharp and doesnt overdo it.

Last edited:
Sharpness wise I'm still happy. I did up sharpness ingame to 50%. But keep temporal upsampling and advanced sharpen filter off. Bloom noticed epic can sometimes give me dip to 89 fps so depending on track I put it on high.
Only thing still happening is trees textures popping in with more detail when driving. But CAS 100% is the big game changer. For other games like Rf2 I set it to 90% CAS as its already extremely sharp and doesnt overdo it.
Thanks for the update. I noticed the same thing with the trees. I wish there was something to fix it. It looks pretty good otherwise! I’ll try upping the sharpening as well.

An alternative would be to set your render scale to like 70% either in OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality or OpenXR Toolkit. Then pump Pixel Density up to about 130% in ACC. It's a beautiful thing.

An alternative would be to set your render scale to like 70% either in OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality or OpenXR Toolkit. Then pump Pixel Density up to about 130% in ACC. It's a beautiful thing.

Interesting. I will have to try this approach as well. Do you use FSR or NIS to reduce render scale to 70%? I assume it cannot be done with CAS. Or, is render scale a separate setting altogether? I don't have the OpenXR tookit overlay pulled up at the moment, so I am just thinking from memory. Perhaps asked more clearly: What are your exact settings in OpenXR Toolkit?

Last edited:
Interesting. I will have to try this approach as well. Do you use FSR or NIS to reduce render scale to 70%? I assume it cannot be done with CAS. Or, is render scale a separate setting altogether? I don't have the OpenXR tookit overlay pulled up at the moment, so I am just thinking from memory. Perhaps asked more clearly: What are your exact settings in OpenXR Toolkit?
It is on the System tab in OpenXR Toolkit. I calculated 70% resolution per eye (on my Varjo Aero) then increased Pixel Density to 130% in ACC. I did this on my HP Reverb G2 previously and it worked well. Also had to increase Virtual to Real Scale to 110% as everything was a little larger as a result. I set TAA to Ultra.

[EDIT] Now that I think about it, I believe I still have CAS set to 80%. So, this wouldn't be an "alternative". More of an enhancement ;)

Attachments

• OpenComposite_AC2-Win64-Shipping_20230201_221302_CAS_100_80_R.png
    OpenComposite_AC2-Win64-Shipping_20230201_221302_CAS_100_80_R.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 844
Last edited:
It is on the System tab in OpenXR Toolkit. I calculated 70% resolution per eye (on my Varjo Aero) then increased Pixel Density to 130% in ACC. I did this on my HP Reverb G2 previously and it worked well. Also had to increase Virtual to Real Scale to 110% as everything was a little larger as a result. I set TAA to Ultra.

[EDIT] Now that I think about it, I believe I still have CAS set to 80%. So, this wouldn't be an "alternative". More of an enhancement ;)

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip! The info in in this thread helped me finally get ACC to place in terms of visuals that I actually want to play it after years of trying on and off!!! I mean my RTX 4090 certainly helps, but I can't tell you how many times I've started "Career Mode" just to abandon it three laps later because the visuals and performance are terrible in VR. There might be some marginal gains still to be had, but I think it's definitely playable now!

One thing though: I am confused as to why reducing overall render resolution in OpenXR, and then increasing Pixel Density in ACC works better than just running higher render resolution without touching Pixel Density...Anyone know why? I guess it's not really that important since it works well, but I am just curious!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Can't speak for OpenXR, with SteamVR it didn't matter as both Pixel Density and SteamVR resolutions were setting target (final) resolution.
What mattered though is to drop resolution in game settings (source resolution) and increase Pixel Density or SteamVR resolution, this way TAAU worked its magic.
There was some difference in result between SteamVR and Pixel Density as they use different scale, Pixel density = sqrt(SteamVR SS). So 200% Pixel density = 400% SS, but once aligned they were almost identical.

I also run a RTX 4090 + G2. I've got OpenXR CAS set to 100%. In game screen resolution and pixel density I've been going back and forth between 50% SR + 200% Pixel Density, to 100% SR and 110% Pixel Density to see which looks better and offers more consistent performance. They seem to be about the same for me in terms of quality. I do believe turning down SR + high Pixel Density might allow me to turn up more settings. Also I'm hardly noticing any difference at all between just completely turning off AA, and setting Temporal AA to High / Epic. Anyone else notice this?

When you play with all these parameters, such as pixel density, screen resolution, DLSS, and also OpenXR similar parameters like resolution, NIR/FSR, aren't they sort of cancelling/balancing each other?

For instance, if I set resolution 1000x1000 in OpenXR, and then I set a Pixel Density of 200% in ACC, in the end the graphics engine will draw an image of 2000x2000 pixels each frame, which has a certain computational cost.

If you do 2000x2000 in OpenXR and 100% density in ACC, won't the result be exactly the same?

Just for the record, I have unscientifically played around with all these settings, and my tests suggest that there is no difference, or the difference is not detectable by a quick visual test.

Right now I have the native resolution in OpenXR (3152 along the X axis, can't remember the Y right now), 100% CAS, and in game I have 110% pixel density.

Most settings are at mid or high. My benchmark is being Monza, because at T1 there's lots of cars in the frame and that's where I drop frames if I get too optimistic with the settings.

However, while this is no doubt playable, it still looks much worse than iRacing, where I can bump resolution to 140% and it looks so beautifully crisp! :(

It's disappointing because ACC feels so much better in terms of driving the car, and how nice the FBB is. Even the bass shakers via SimHub seem better in ACC!

AMS2 looks amazing and with great FPS, but the online racing experience is what it is...

• Deleted member 197115

Yes, it is correct.
Pixel Density x OpenXR or SteamVr SS = target resolution. You can play with either one and if final result is the same, it doesn't matter which one you adjust.

In game resolution though does matter as it's used as source resolution before it gets TAAU upsampled to target. Some rendering phases are done at that smaller res helping with performance.

1677534287803.png

I have a 4090 ROG Strix and 7900X3D system on its way. Really looking forward to finally getting my G2 up and running. It’s was not good at all on my current 2070 Super and i7-9700

Just stumbled on this as I have just replaced my 3090 with the 4090. One issue though - over the last week or so, ACC will only ever start into SteamVR. No amount of DLL replacement or reloading Opencomposite system wide launcher will stop it. No other apps are affected. Anyone else seen that?

With out the OpenXR Toolkit changes, this settings JSON will only hit 60FPS or so in SteamVR (with a 13700k). :(

Ok what am I doing wrong?
ACC is the only sim that I can't get open composite/ Open XR to run with. I have tried clicking the "use Open Composite" system wide option, and I have also tried installing the "openvr-api.dll" individually, but Steam VR always take over and OpenXR toolkit settings (the purple options in the VR headset) don't apper when I press ctrl+down (Ichanged the keys).
It works in all my other sims except ACC.

ACC is the only sim that I can't get open composite/ Open XR to run with. I have tried clicking the "use Open Composite" system wide option, and I have also tried installing the "openvr-api.dll" individually, but Steam VR always take over and OpenXR toolkit settings (the purple options in the VR headset) don't apper when I press ctrl+down (Ichanged the keys).
Try replacing the .dll instead of choosing the system-wide install.

Try replacing the .dll instead of choosing the system-wide install.

Do you find a solution? Also for me it does't work anymore with openxr

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years