AC suddenly become unplayable

Des Pearce

Premium
My setup is i7-9700k, rtx 2070 super, 2tb m2 ssd and I use either a HP Reverb or 35" 3440 x 1440p monitor. I have an Accuforce V1 pro and diy load cell pedals and run through Content Manager and Sim Commander 4.

Up until 3 weeks ago I could comfortably run my current graphics presets on both the headset and monitor but something has gone wrong or changed as now, whatever I do it brings up a "99% cpu occupancy" message.

Anyone able to help as I'm frustrated at not being able to use a great sim.

Try this. There is also an batch file to fix it automatically on the AC Custom Shaders discord.

My setup is i7-9700k, rtx 2070 super, 2tb m2 ssd and I use either a HP Reverb or 35" 3440 x 1440p monitor. I have an Accuforce V1 pro and diy load cell pedals and run through Content Manager and Sim Commander 4.

Same CPU, GPU and monitor + of course Content Manager .... but nothing else to compare with your own material.
No single special problem with this kind of message ( except at the AC young ages years ago ).

Not sure at all as I don't use Sim Commander and don't really care about it in my case ... but I think I remember reading some messages about this kind of problems when running AC with it.

Maybe have a search in that direction.

I had a problem like this just not the same pc setup at all.

And for me it was actually a mod that was "broken" that caused this. Probably one you added or edited recently. After i deleted mine, game was back to normal.

Another thing i've noticed, i get a few issues every now and then which seem to be caused by steam. Whether it's steam overlay, friend list or something else i don't know. But something doesn't seem right, and i can see steam using cpu for no reason. Had issues in other games too which also seem to be caused partially by steam overlay or other.

Disable steam overlay, disable "replay" feature in gpu settings (you know where you can press a button and it records/saves what just happened in the last 2 mins or so).

Hope it helps.

Not sure at all as I don't use Sim Commander and don't really care about it in my case ... but I think I remember reading some messages about this kind of problems when running AC with it.

Maybe have a search in that direction.

Indeed, I received a response on the SimXperience website about incompatibility between SC4 and CM,
but have no issues provided that CM is already running before attempting to connect from SC4.
Another quirk was that AC Controls configuration wizard did not work for AccuForce (but click to assign does).

Thanks for all of the pointers, I've done a mod free install, run without CM and turned opponents down to 13. I still, quite often get the "99% cpu occupancy" problem.

I'll try looking at Steam and investigate the other things people have mentioned

Still struggling, I'm using razer cortex to minimise background programs and msi afterburner (with riva tuner) to see gpu and cpu usage. I've disabled xbox game bar, steam overlay and geforce experience overlay. Still get the message and less than 10fps more than half the time I try to race, this is with 13 AI in the race.

According to Riva Tuner my cpu occupancy stays at below 60% but the gpu runs between 80 and 97%.

Any more thoughts? I've tried running without SC4 (no difference), starting content manager first (no difference) so I'm a bit stuck now.

I've had some success using msi afterburner in conjunction with Process Monitor in troubleshooting some AC issues that I've had in the past. Both apps keep a history log, so it was a simple matter of observing the time of the frametime drop/stutter logged by afterburner & cross-referencing it against the real time thread activity captured by Process Monitor, i.e., in my case, I found that Chrome & Occulus rift were the main source of my troubles.

Thanks for all of the pointers, I've done a mod free install, run without CM and turned opponents down to 13. I still, quite often get the "99% cpu occupancy" problem.

I'll try looking at Steam and investigate the other things people have mentioned

Have you tried the vanilla version of AC with post processing off & lowered the graphics to the minimum? I'd also try AC with just the bare basics - no Content Manager and Sim Commander 4, all unnecessary peripherals disconnected - including Reverb. From there, maybe use CapFrameX, & on a trial & basis increase the settings one step at a time.

FYI - AC only uses upto 4 threads, so looking @ the overall cpu usage might give you a false impression of what is happening with the cpu.

Last edited:
Have you tried the vanilla version of AC with post processing off & lowered the graphics to the minimum? I'd also try AC with just the bare basics - no Content Manager and Sim Commander 4, all unnecessary peripherals disconnected - including Reverb. From there, maybe use CapFrameX, & on a trial & basis increase the settings one step at a time.

FYI - AC only uses upto 4 threads, so looking @ the overall cpu usage might give you a false impression of what is happening with the cpu.

I think I've found the solution, I had a program called Razer Cortex running and since disabling (and later deleting) it every thing's been back to normal. Fingers crossed it was that simple....

As a follow up (i looked into it as I was struggling to run Sebring smoothly compared to other tracks) I found that (in my single screen graphics preset and using the benchmark) I can reduce cpu usage by turning motion blur on and setting it between 1 and 5. I can't notice any negatives in terms of visuals and got the following results:

Motion blur @ 0 = 91% CPU and 190 fps
Motion blur @ 1 = 77% CPU and 162 fps
Motion blur @ 3 = 75% CPU and 158 fps
Motion blur @ 5 = 72% CPU and 151 fps

Hope this helps if you're struggling with the occupancy issue as I was.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing