AC RC issue - The AI still need lots of work

Msportdan

@Simberia
I haven't had this installed for a long whole, probably since they botched the AI. I was hoping that in 1.0 they will fix it.. but they haven't and that to makes the average career mode even harder to stomach. This game I mean is very good handling audio and visual (please redo pp settings) but the ai are so dull to race. to the point it reminds me of the forza days starting from last an pushing your way to the front.

Why in gods grean earth isn't there a season mode, with points and a calander!!! how hard can that be.

Also please make the AI act like race drivers, the way that they actually want to overtake you...not just mobile chicanes.

At the moment this game for me is let down by its Ai, and im not a mp player. having RRe and rf2 ai is the benchmark for me, please kunos. improve this part of the game.

dan

If you want the ultimate experience, become a licensed member here, and you won't have to worry about AI at all because you'll be having too much fun racing against real humans :D

The main thing I noticed is that the AI seem to be easier to beat!
use to have to work on it with AI on 95% now I have no problem keeping up with them at 98% That said I have driven the 458 GT2 a lot and and it mite need some tuning to be equal to the rest!

wow I thought I was gonna get shot dow in flames, like I would on the official forums.. Forgot we are a bit more mature here..

but yeah I agree with all the above.. AC does everything else pretty well, just needs a better ai and a custom season mode. hehe

Apparently we can make our own single player championships!
check out the download section. Only problem They used an MOD car so the sounds does not work.

Hopefully this will evolve and some modder makes an editor to make the process easier to do! That would be really cool!

Completly agree, mainly an offline player and waiting for the RC improvement on the AI like water on the desert, but its very very dissapointment racing against a line of mobile chicane :-(

There always will be R3E...

PS: sorry for the bad english.

Last edited:
... hoping I get to race them before they get fixed - I might win one!

*Waits anxiously for new PC to arrive* :D

I used to be a games AI coder for First Person Shooters. Nearest I got to vehicle AI was when Crytek tried to sign me up to do a space combat game which they later abandoned, but I was already working on something for another company at the time. :cool:

May get back into AI once I have a decent PC - getting that 'urge' to write code. The trick to writing good AI, in my opinion, is to try to mimic as much real human behaviour as possible - this is what gives them 'personality'. If I ever got someone to hate one of my 'bots', I used to celebrate.

I just love AI. Making the soldiers/enemies in a game behave like humans is sheer joy. I had to invent "Artificial Stupidity" routines for the SiN (Redemption) Arcade Machine conversion back in 1999 because people couldn't beat my bots *chuckles*

Definitely the AI needs some work on it.
It seems is possible to make laps bellow 1.36 in Monza with LaFerrari.
This mean that after 8 laps you overlap the entire AI with the same AI at 100%, as the following video demonstrates.
[Video removed]
Maybe Kunos can increase AI to 125% or something to give some challenge.

Last edited:
lol this is funny. I haven't played with AI ever since the MP came out. I was almost tempted to try the career mode of this game, but the AI was always too slow. Never using full track. I mean they don't even exit corners onto the curbs.

They used to divebomb everywhere, then they stopped, then they did it again, now it appears they're again not divebombing. I see everyone who makes a video about AI, just divebombs the crap out of poor AI. I almost feel sorry for this little AI. It goes up and down, but it's never good. Kunos wasted so much time on trying to do something with the AI, but barely anyone even likes it.

[...]They used to divebomb everywhere, then they stopped, then they did it again, now it appears they're again not divebombing. I see everyone who makes a video about AI, just divebombs the crap out of poor AI. I almost feel sorry for this little AI. It goes up and down, but it's never good. Kunos wasted so much time on trying to do something with the AI, but barely anyone even likes it.

I am not sure they have put that much time... To me it looks like they went for a simple approach (multiple racing lines according to what the AI had around) and they have only tweaked a couple of parameters now and again (when to change lines).

But I would expect they are now putting some more effort on it, as I would see AI a feature that needs to work reasonable well if you want to sell the game to the thousands of single player oriented buyers.

Reading some of the comments from people saying AI are too slow for them, usually coming from the same driver saying they have so much fun driving MP, motivated me to write this post.
I am not very fast, so a lot of driver in MP are too fast for me, at least before they crash, because I also see a lot of very uneven driving from most fast guys.
AI is at the right speed for me, it depends a little bit of the track/car combo, they are also not going off road every 3 laps, if you do not dive bomb them or push then around they are actually fun to race.
It would look logical for me that AI is better adapted to drivers like me who enjoy Offline racing a lot more than On line. After all online aficionado have MP.
Also, if AI is too slow for you, drive a slower car on less grippy tires, and the level of challenge will eventually be more then you can cope with.
Racing the AI is 100% all about racing, ( getting a good pace, passing when possible, avoid making mistakes) as there is absolutely nothing to gain in winning, as there is nothing to win.
So in the end, AI could be better, I guess, but as is , for me it is very ( very) entertaining.

... hoping I get to race them before they get fixed - I might win one!

May get back into AI once I have a decent PC - getting that 'urge' to write code. The trick to writing good AI, in my opinion, is to try to mimic as much real human behaviour as possible - this is what gives them 'personality'. If I ever got someone to hate one of my 'bots', I used to celebrate.

Pardon my ignorance, it sounds like you are saying you can write an app to mod the AI for AC? I think that would be really cool if possible!

Maybe Kunos can increase AI to 125% or something to give some challenge.
To do that they'd need to make the AI use unrealistic physics, give it 25% more grip than players get, or 25% more horsepower...

at 100%, the AI is pushing its line as hard as the car can take it. The limit is that it aims for a fixed line, not that there's more speed to get out of the car. And right now they're terrible about picking an alternate line to get past slower cars so they slow down a huge amount in traffic (not sure why this is but it makes them way less competitive)

At lower percents, it aims for that much of the car's potential, so at 90% it's only cornering using 90% of available grip... of course during acceleration grip isn't the limit so the AI just floors it.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing