AC is still simulator?

sure .. race car simulator, driving simulator ... racing simulator hence the word 'racing' should simulate racing and car simulation as car being part of racing is included :p
Nah .. there is no definition .. it just potato - potatoe :)

Trust me, I've often criticized the choice of branding as "Your Racing Simulator" because it can lead one to believe there's a heavy focus on all the various elements that go into simulating a full on, major league race like we normally watch on tv. But the thread title just said "simulator", your opening post said you think it falls short of being a full on racing simulator (which I tend to agree with) but the other comments have suggested things as simple as not having brake heat/wear means it's not a simulator of any kind, and if that's the kind of criteria we're going to go by then we'll always be able to find an instance where a given sim falls short and therefore nothing could be considered a simulator. But clearly those people have already decided that they think AC is garbage and look for any piece of evidence they can use to support their opinion.

Last edited:
Trust me, I've often criticized the choice of branding as "Your Racing Simulator" because it can lead one to believe there's a heavy focus on all the various elements that go into simulating a full on, major league race like we normally watch on tv. But the thread title just said "simulator", your opening post said you think it falls short of being a full on racing simulator (which I tend to agree with) but the other comments have suggested things as simple as not having brake heat/wear means it's not a simulator of any kind, and if that's the kind of criteria we're going to go by then we'll always be able to find an instance where a given sim falls short and therefore nothing could be considered a simulator. But clearly those people have already decided that they think AC is garbage and look for any piece of evidence they can use to support their opinion.
agree .. still brake temp/wear is just as crucial for car simulation as for race simulation and it should be in every sim in my opinion .. and I believe it is something that will be introduced to AC ..

Brake temps are already close enough to being enabled that there is a reading for them in the telemetry app; right now the code simply isn't enabled.
Brake fade will be available for modders to implement on their cars, but will not be implemented on vanilla content.

Stefano stated this in one of his live streams.

Brake fade will be available for modders to implement on their cars, but will not be implemented on vanilla content.

Stefano stated this in one of his live streams.
Do you remember his reasoning for saying that brake fade will not be implemented into Kunos Official cars? I think it's great that the feature will be available to modders, but it would seem to me that if any cars should have it, it's the official content cars that should have it. If it has anything to do with making driving "more difficult" for noobies, I would think they could make it a feature you could turn on or off, ala Traction Control and ABS. Perhaps that's not the reason, however... If you remember anything more I would love to hear it.

An FPS doesn't stop being an FPS because if it's not any good, only on simracing (and maybe RPGs) we get these topics...

They are trying to realistically simulate racing on some level, so yes, it is.

I am disappointed that we won't ever get proper starts, how pitstops work... but that doesn't change the genre of the game, that's just ridiculous.

An FPS doesn't stop being an FPS because if it's not any good, only on simracing (and maybe RPGs) we get these topics...

They are trying to realistically simulate racing on some level, so yes, it is.

I am disappointed that we won't ever get proper starts, how pitstops work... but that doesn't change the genre of the game, that's just ridiculous.
FPS = first person shooter - simulator = game/program that simulates real experience, there's a massive difference between comparing FPS and simulation. FPS stays an FPS as long as there's no THIRD PERSON view in a shooter.

Street cars would be useless after only a couple of laps; what fun is that?

People (lots of them) wouldn't understand why they game suddenly doesn't work and would flood the support forum (and every other forum) with posts claiming the game to be totally broken.

They could take it a step further and remove tire wear as well - in my experience it has a more adverse effect on handling compared to brake fade.

Street cars would be useless after only a couple of laps; what fun is that?
People (lots of them) wouldn't understand why they game suddenly doesn't work and would flood the support forum (and every other forum) with posts claiming the game to be totally broken.
If that indeed is the case then that's a very poor excuse. The same already applies with road cars and road tyres on certain tracks anyway. Put a high powered road car on road tyres at Silverstone GP and the tyres are toast in 2 laps, you have to wait 20/30 seconds for the tyres to cool down. Where is the difference with implementing brake fade?

What's the further point in implementing brake temps at all if they aren't going to influence brake performance? So the brakes will just perform the same no matter what the temperature? Why bother doing it then?

If that indeed is the case then that's a very poor excuse. The same already applies with road cars and road tyres on certain tracks anyway. Put a high powered road car on road tyres at Silverstone GP and the tyres are toast in 2 laps, you have to wait 20/30 seconds for the tyres to cool down. Where is the difference with implementing brake fade?

What's the further point in implementing brake temps at all if they aren't going to influence brake performance? So the brakes will just perform the same no matter what the temperature? Why bother doing it then?
Don't shoot the messenger! :laugh: You'd have to ask those questions on the official forum. Michael was just relaying what he heard from a developer, to answer my question. I think you're asking a good question, by the way, I just don't think anyone should expect Michael to have the answers to those questions. Opinions, probably...Answers...No.

Like it was my decision or something. LOL
Pretty sure that tire wear can be turned off already, so not sure why it wouldn't be an option.

Oh yeah, another reason it won't be implemented in official cars is because there is no actual documentation about it. It would all be complete guesswork, which is fine for a mod, not so fine for official content.

From here on out though, if you guys want info you can go try to get it yourselves. I'm out.

AC is still simulator?
Oh oops it seems you made a typing mistake.
The correct writing was..
PC is still simulator?
And post it in Project Cars forums, please.
Also, may I suggest a more accurate title, like...
PC is still simulator? it drives like Super Mario Kart to me!
I'm sure you'll get lots of people wanting to help you. :rolleyes:

100% true, unfortunately the devs told the beta testers that would be coming becuase the street cars everyone would cry when they cooked their brakes, and it apparently doesnt matter in real life racing.

Funny because every team at the Rolex 24 changed pads 4+ times I would imagine. Guess they were doing it for fun, nothing to do with pad or rotor wear.
LMPs don't change them at all at Le Mans (or AFAIK Daytona), GTs will typically change pads once. (and seeing as no one will be running a 24 hour race in AC, I don't think it's much of an issue ;))

Can't say I understand the arguing regarding whether something is a simulator or not. A more constructive point would be to reference how feature rich a simulator is. AC is clearly not feature rich as a racing simulator but that does not mean it is not a racing simulator. If it is possible to race then it is a simulator ; especially if based on an atempt to also simukate real world physics. To say that every possible thing needs to simulated perfectly in order for something to be a simulator is to say simulators will never exist because there will always be possible improvements.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back