AC in 4k@60hz - Problem

I am pulling my hair out here why my system won't run AC in 4k smoothly?

Spec:
  1. Win 10 Pro 64 bit
  2. I7 3960x @ 3.3GHZ
  3. RAM – 16GB DDR3 @ 666 MHZ
  4. NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 4095 MB (Edit: It is actually 16gb)
  5. Samsung 850 EVO SSD – 1TB
  6. Monitor - 40" JVC 4K Ultra HD TV
No matter how low the settings, it seems to run 'choppy' but still shows as 60FPS, and this is just in singlepayer ?
Is there something that may be causing this, as I am sure my specs should be able to manage it shouldn't they?
I can run everything at max in 2k with no issues, soon as I select 3840 x 2160 it turns choppy.

Any advice on this is most appreciated as I have spent most of the weekend trying to sort this out.

Last edited:
Andrew, these were done a few days ago already.

CPU is water cooled, so no idea why it is hot
I am not running windowed either, always fullscreen
Not wanna sound like an ass but if you want to solve this you need to start answering our requests with the exact wording we're using.
So if we ask:
"did you try to hit alt+enter to switch between windowed mode and fullscreen to make sure it's really fullscreen? Because AC like to jump into windowed without really noticing".

Then you need to reply with:
"I did hit alt+enter and I could see the difference. But even in 100% sure fullscreen the stutter was still there"
And not with:
"I'm not running windowed, always fullscreen".

Because the latter might also say that you selected "fullscreen" in the settings so you think it is running in fullscreen, although it actually jumped into windowed mode after loading.

We're trying to find a problem here that's very difficult to spot and lies deep in the details of your settings so we need as detailed and waterproof replies :)

I did hit alt+enter and it windowed AC, so I assume I was previously running in Fullscreen.
I also made sure it was running fullscreen before I actually replied to be sure.
I have fullscreen enabled in AC and in Content Manager also

I get guaranteed stutter with AC no matter what.

100% of the time massive stutter around 3 or so laps in and will go on for up to 4-5 seconds continuous and then it dies down and then another 10 laps or so massive - I've tried absolutely everything, and when I mean everything I mean every solution to rid myself of it here on racedepartment, the assetto corsa forums, googling everything - been trying to fix it for over a year now. From re-installing windows, putting AC on different drives, v-sync/adaptive/fast everything, frame caps everything, nvidia inspector everything, windowed modes everything, graphic settings everythings, frame timing everything, sounds/audio everything. ffb feedback everything, 720/1080/1440/4K everything, underclock/overclock. config file adjustments of everything, alt-enter at different stages. pc running cool - read everything on the net for solution and whatever I do stutter fest every so many laps!
Desperate, and even though I "100%" own my AC copy from steam, I even went and downloaded a pirate copy of a much older AC version to see if that was any different = no different!!
*piracy - as you know you can't go back to an old version of game you own on steam even if the new version is nuked so no other choice*

Every other racing game works fine..

I reckon Windows 10 anniversary edition did something that makes AC in-particular run like this for me/my system as I'm certain it worked before okay - just didn't play it much back then to notice so not 100%.
System: I7 7700K/watercooled cpu/32gb ram/ssd drive/2nd drive/gaming motherboard/GTX 1080. I've got the power..

But enough about me! :D

@Craig Turner
Your problem looks like RAM to me - well, could be. Have you changed the timings? Or fiddled with the RAM voltages etc. Been fiddling with any settings in the bios? I had that problem before with something else and it was down to fiddling with the RAM settings in the bios.

Last edited:
Has to be CPU.

I have a 6600K overclocked to 4.4ghz and a 1080ti, 16gb ram and run in 4K also, when I race against AI I put ACS.exe priority to high as I'm always at very high CPU, up to 100%.
So with your CPU you have a very slim chance.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 85 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 62 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 13.9%