AC crashes: Car ks_whatever might be missing or its data is heavily damaged

Since last night, AC crashes back to the desktop when I try to load a race and CM gives a message to say: Car ks_porsche/or whatever might be missing data or is heavily damaged.
It doesn't seem to be doing this with all cars - there seems to not be a problem with mod cars, but just with some, not all, Kunos cars.

I'm thinking I may have to do a file integrity check through Steam. What do you think?

Thing is, I recently (for another problem) did a file integrity check and have used the cars that are now causing AC to crash since that integrity check many times with no problem.

Any tips on how to proceed? And what could have caused this problem? When I check if the cars are missing - they are not mising, they're exactly where they should be.

The Steam file integrity check is surely the only method to retrieve those original cars working as they were.

If you already did it ... and those cars were perfectly working for a time... there must be something ( surely in a mod ) causing them not to work again after a time.

Discover what and how will be the most difficult problem to solve ... except remember by chance which cars were installed, modified or used just before those crashes happened.

Edit: or discover which mod will not work any longer after this new file integrity check.

I had another idea .... did you uninstall or unactivate a mod just before those original cars began to crash the game ?

If this mod replaced original files ... of course unactivating or uninstalling it should have deleted some necessary files for the original cars. Always a risk installing a mod replacing original files.
Normally JSGME gives a warning when replacing files and mostly retrieves the previous files in case of uninstall.... but uninstalling manually doesn't allow it.

This might be the 2nd likely possibility for your problem.

The Steam file integrity check is surely the only method to retrieve those original cars working as they were.

If you already did it ... and those cars were perfectly working for a time... there must be something ( surely in a mod ) causing them not to work again after a time.

Discover what and how will be the most difficult problem to solve ... except remember by chance which cars were installed, modified or used just before those crashes happened.

Edit: or discover which mod will not work any longer after this new file integrity check.
Merci pour les conseils.
I don't remember uninstalling a mod before these crashes started. I'll have a look when i get back to the PC

Same problem game crash ? ... or fully same problem ( game crash with this same Car ks_porsche/or whatever might be missing data or is heavily damaged message ) as the OP ?

I had a system crash yesterday while playing AC and now I am experiencing the same problem for some cars. I copied and replaced all the cars using AC on my other system but keep experiencing this problem for the same 'random' selection of cars. I cleared the cache but that didn't help. Could there be an issue with other stale/cached data somewhere... ? or has this issue been introduced with CM or CSP updates?. Have been working on this for several hours but haven't got a clue yet..

It might be related to Steam... I discovered that although I installed AC on my dedicated gaming PC several months ago (I have another copy on a Laptop) Steam lists AC as a game the can be installed... When did this happen? Because Steam 'assumes' that the game is not installed I can't check the integrity of the files using Steam (never started AC via the Steam GUI so I didn't notice this before). Strangely Steam also reports that AC was played several hours today.. Something is wrong here.. I am however not too keen about reinstalling AC because of CSP, CM and many, many mods and tweaks that would need to reapplied afterwards..

Are there simracers on racedepartment who were forced to reinstall AC because of unexplained crashes during loading of content? Did this resolve the problems you experienced?

It might be related to Steam... I discovered that although I installed AC on my dedicated gaming PC several months ago (I have another copy on a Laptop) Steam lists AC as a game the can be installed... When did this happen? Because Steam 'assumes' that the game is not installed I can't check the integrity of the files using Steam (never started AC via the Steam GUI so I didn't notice this before). Strangely Steam also reports that AC was played several hours today.. Something is wrong here.. I am however not too keen about reinstalling AC because of CSP, CM and many, many mods and tweaks that would need to reapplied afterwards..

Are there simracers on racedepartment who were forced to reinstall AC because of unexplained crashes during loading of content? Did this resolve the problems you experienced?
Having exactly same problem as you described. Did you find any other solution than to re-install whole game?

Hi, I had the same thing happening to me today, I lost access to all of my DLC cars randomly. Turns out Steam decided to flag my game as uninstalled for whatever reason. Fortunately I did not have to do a fresh uninstall, Steam at least recognized that most of my files were intact. Steam spent around half an hour scanning files, then downloading 100 Mo of whatever. Fortunately everything seems back to normal, except for the fact that all tags I put on Kunos cars are now gone, which is quite annoying...

I'm running the game in other HD apart from where steam installed it and transfered all my dlcs with no problem. Working wonders for months just running the game through Content Manager. Something happened and it doesn't seem steam related. Wondering if more people are with this issue.

Can you start the game through Steam? If not, it's the problem I described.
Thanks for trying to help :)

EDIT: I did a fresh installation of AC from Steam in a brand new external HD, launched it, waited a few seconds, closed AC and with the Content Manager (that points to open AC from a SSD) I started a race to find out that magically the DLCs are working again.

Thanks once again for the help :)

Last edited:
Same problem !: Steam tag Assetto Corsa uninstall (with 1892h working and an entire folder consistent.
I have more than 150 tracks and 430 cars installed. I have mod a lot of the kunos cars (with tag and sound, and uninstall many of them). So i don't want to re-install a game withou reason !

WHat a shame for Steam !

Just had exactly the same thing happen here. All DLC cars cause crash with the message "ks_car_name_whatever might be missing data or is heavily damaged" as reported by Billy Pilgrim in the OP.

Steam reports that the game is ready to install... Has anyone found a good solution for this bug? Steam seems to have forgotten that its already installed. If I instruct Steam to i(re-)nstall to the same location where it has been happily working for months, is it going to destroy my 1200+ car collection, etc.?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%