AC crashes: Car ks_whatever might be missing or its data is heavily damaged

Since last night, AC crashes back to the desktop when I try to load a race and CM gives a message to say: Car ks_porsche/or whatever might be missing data or is heavily damaged.
It doesn't seem to be doing this with all cars - there seems to not be a problem with mod cars, but just with some, not all, Kunos cars.

I'm thinking I may have to do a file integrity check through Steam. What do you think?

Thing is, I recently (for another problem) did a file integrity check and have used the cars that are now causing AC to crash since that integrity check many times with no problem.

Any tips on how to proceed? And what could have caused this problem? When I check if the cars are missing - they are not mising, they're exactly where they should be.

Just had exactly the same thing happen here. All DLC cars cause crash with the message "ks_car_name_whatever might be missing data or is heavily damaged" as reported by Billy Pilgrim in the OP.

Steam reports that the game is ready to install... Has anyone found a good solution for this bug? Steam seems to have forgotten that its already installed. If I instruct Steam to i(re-)nstall to the same location where it has been happily working for months, is it going to destroy my 1200+ car collection, etc.?
I have 3500+ cars and this happened a good 3 times. It's like the game aren't sure if you really own the game or not.

The solution to me was: I reinstalled the from steam in other HD and then make the Content Mananger (Setting->Content manager->General = then change the AC folder) loads the game from this new location and then point back to where my all cars were installed. Works wonders. :) Hope it helps.

Cheers for that. I think yours is a better solution to mine. In the end I backed up my current install and just pointed the Steam re-install at the original location. Steam found the existing data OK but then proceeded to download some gigabytes. I lost all my customisations for Kunos tracks and cars but got them back by replacing the relevant folders (i.e., the newly downloaded car and track data) with the back-ups I made earlier. Non-Kunos mods remained unaffected throughout the process.

All good now, but a total waste of several hours.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%