AC 289 Sports

Cars AC 289 Sports 1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
OldRebel submitted a new resource:

AC 289 Sports - Recreating a lost diamond

View attachment 328215 View attachment 328215 View attachment 328215 View attachment 328216 View attachment 328217 What we have here is the terrific 'meco and pankykapus' AC Cobra 427 Mod remade into two versions of an AC 289 Sports. The car in it's completely stock form and a version we call the AC 289 Sports Trackday. Here is a link to an actual car. https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/LF16/London/lots/r161-1967-ac-289-sports-cobra/384101
The...

Read more about this resource...

It has 328 wheel hp 377HP at the crank with 13% loss. I suggest you learn how power in AC actually works... This is the second car you released with more HP than it should.

upload_2019-10-7_8-50-37.png

Do you have permission from meco and pankykapus this time to modify and re-release their mod?
The description says he does for the models but not the sounds as he doesn't know the author. I personally would like to know who made them as they are pretty good and would like to use them in a project at some point.

Thanks.
Couple of things I spotted on a quick walkaround: the rear number plate still has the Cobra normal map visible, and the headlights cast light but don't actually illuminate (oops, already mentioned in the blurb).
Cheers.

The description says he does for the models but not the sounds as he doesn't know the author.
I totally missed that. Sorry @OldRebel ! I'm glad you have permissions, because it actually is quite a special Version of the Cobra and it's a good thing it can be shared here. But, as @LilSki said, it's too powerful.

The description says he does for the models but not the sounds as he doesn't know the author. I personally would like to know who made them as they are pretty good and would like to use them in a project at some point.

OT: The soundbank file matches the checksum originally included in FordGT40_Soundmod_AmplifiedNL.rar, it's the older 2017-09-11 release that you can download here. It has also been included in the T70 MkII Ford, and in the base 302 Boss on the Mustangs pack. On its older reviews, a user mentioned it's lacking the proper 5.1 mix for a GT40, which makes it good for a front engine car.
I've come across it exactly when searching for sound to put on the TVR 200 289 racecar, so I immediately remembered the file size. IIRC, it sounds a bit low on exterior.

OT: The soundbank file matches the checksum originally included in FordGT40_Soundmod_AmplifiedNL.rar, it's the older 2017-09-11 release that you can download here. It has also been included in the T70 MkII Ford, and in the base 302 Boss on the Mustangs pack. On its older reviews, a user mentioned it's lacking the proper 5.1 mix for a GT40, which makes it good for a front engine car.
I've come across it exactly when searching for sound to put on the TVR 200 289 racecar, so I immediately remembered the file size. IIRC, it sounds a bit low on exterior.
Thanks. I would likely remix a new bank but wanted to know where the samples came from so I could seek proper permission.

It has 328 wheel hp 377HP at the crank with 13% loss. I suggest you learn how power in AC actually works... This is the second car you released with more HP than it should.

View attachment 328219
Hi Kevin. Once again I thank you for your input. First off, I am so much of a noob at this (can't you tell?), that I need all the help I can get. I am not a 'modder' like so many artists here including yourself. I swap files between cars and adjust parameters...that's it. I never pretended otherwise but my original Sunday afternoon mini project grew a life of it's own and here we are. I must say I am a bit confused. After your post re my 289 Cobra having too much power and showing me the graph from Content Manager I scoured Content Manager for the way you apparently were able to generate it. I came up empty-handed. I do not know how to test and create those hp and torque graphs like you do. Therefore I have been at the mercy of other authors stating the hp and torque of the engine in their mod. I was starting to realize there were inaccuracies so I was paying more attention to lap times, 1/4 mile times at the drag strip, etc. Do people generate their own engine.ini's and power luts each and every time they create a car? I can see it for something unique but a 289? I only included the stock version of the car really to show off how great the Trackday car is. I don't like the stock version as it's kind of a dog. I really thought that the declared 300 hp felt about right and not only that it seemed to generate stats that seemed plausible to me. I have always been in the simulator hobby mainly to have fun. It's only this year that I started delving into uploading minor mods...getting my feet wet. I do have a lot to learn and I want to learn but the minute the fun goes out of it I'm done.-----OldRebel

Do you have permission from meco and pankykapus this time to modify and re-release their mod?
I have full permission from Marc, the meco and pankykapus author to modify and upload these cars as complete cars. He is a great guy but it seems he has moved on in life and this car is in his past. He does however still want to protect his models from being sold or used to make money.

I totally missed that. Sorry @OldRebel ! I'm glad you have permissions, because it actually is quite a special Version of the Cobra and it's a good thing it can be shared here. But, as @LilSki said, it's too powerful.
Hi Gevatter. Thank you for your comment. Could you please clarify your comment of 'too powerful' ? To me a car that came stock with 271 SAE gross hp (260 whp..I think) can (and would be) easily be modified to well over 300 hp in real life as a track car. I was reading an article just the other day about an old used car 289 Cobra that was putting out over 330 hp with four weber carbs. Before it blew up that is. :) The Trackday car is a lot of fun to drive as is in my opinion. I certainly would not want to take away any of it's power. It doesn't seem 'overpowered' to me, that's for sure. The AC 289 Sports was a light car (950 kg). In fact it was identical to the weight of the famous 1964 FIA Cobras and they were on the old fashioned trans-leaf suspension. The AC 289 Sports really would have been a very quick, great handling car with only a few pretty basic performance mods. That's why I refer to it as a lost diamond. Everybody was into big blocks back then and this car got ignored and it's a real shame.....OldRebel

After your post re my 289 Cobra having too much power and showing me the graph from Content Manager I scoured Content Manager for the way you apparently were able to generate it. I came up empty-handed. I do not know how to test and create those hp and torque graphs like you do.
If you go to the content tab, pick the mod and click the "..." at the top right of the graph it has "recalculate curves using data only", if you do this it'll figure out the power.lut's actual horsepower/torque figures for you and update the ui to match them.

If you go to the content tab, pick the mod and click the "..." at the top right of the graph it has "recalculate curves using data only", if you do this it'll figure out the power.lut's actual horsepower/torque figures for you and update the ui to match them.
Thank you so much for this information Stereo. You are another well known name around here and I appreciate the help. I will check that out asap. It will be a great help to me in the future.----OldRebel

OldRebel updated AC 289 Sports with a new update entry:

Data Repair

I have realized a mistake in the data for the stock AC 289 Sports. The most recent update to stock horsepower was not reflected in the data.acd file before upload. I should have properly re-tested this before uploading it. Please delete the current data folder for the stock AC_289_Sports and paste this one in it's place.
Also included in this update is a revised ui file for the AC_289_Trackday car. There is a revised description including revised actual horsepower and torque values. This...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Nice looking mod, haven't had chance to drive it yet.

I notice you have data.acd and data folders for both versions. The data.acd takes priority over the data folder, so for your recent update to take effect people will need to delete the data.acd file.

Also with regard to torque and hp, https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1967/254915/ac_289_sports.html suggests the following:
Horsepower gross: 202 kW / 275 PS / 271 hp (SAE gross) / 6000 rpm
Torque gross: 423 Nm / 312 ft-lb / 3400 rpm (presumably at the crank).

I hope that's helpful.

For the power curve, the best place to start is probably googling something like "289 xxxHP dyno" (where "xxx" is your target power) to find yourself a real-world, representative power curve. Odds are you'll find something pretty close. I usually do.

For putting it into AC, this is a useful tool: https://acstuff.ru/u/torque-helper/

Bear in mind that the numbers in power.lut are torque, at the wheels, in nm - so you may have to do metric/imperial conversions which are easy at sites like this: https://www.convertunits.com/from/lb-ft/to/N-m

As the dyno chart you'll find will probably be taken from a chassis dyno, the numbers will already be at the wheels and you may not have to factor in driveline losses. If you do that's easy enough using the tool linked above.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 272 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 183 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 182 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 134 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 241 13.5%