Abu Dhabi GP Debrief: Rosberg Withstands Hamilton Chicanery to Take the Title

Lewis showed that he's the best of the current field. Rosberg is as lucky, as his father was. I can't believe thath both Rosbergs has one title. Joke.
But it's good from that point that Hamilton will be more stronger next year, so Nico won't even have a chance.
And if i will ever have the possibility to buy a Mercedes road car, i won't. Disgusting what the team did on the last race. That's why i hated Msc and the Ferrari team--> team orders. Not acceptable for me.

I understand your fair racing but yes Senna would have done worse as he did in suzuka 1990

Senna whilst a great driver was far from a saint no sports person who has ever been super succesful has always played by the rules. Every loves to hate those who try and bend the rules and to be fair the only rule Lewis broke was not an FIA imposed one but the orders of his team.

You could argue Motorsport by it's very nature is about bending the rules as the differences between winning and losing are very narrow and drivers and teams take every advantage to us
ethem.

I can't see this was any more a big deal than Verstappen staying out to slow Rosberg so why all the fuss. The big thing is will Mercedes do anything to Lewis (i doubt it may be a token fine?).

You can bad mouth Hamilton, but he was doing what he had to do to at least give him a shot at the Championship. Would you do it any different...? Putting your Nico Rosberg Fan-dom aside??? It's not even close to what Prost did to Senna at Suzuka.

its as legit as in Soccer ,where they keep the bal and pass around to eat up the opponents time.

only a footbal team doesnt divide the team like mercedes did,and root for 1 over the other .

Toto,paddy and Niki where the problem,,not Lewis or Nico.

@k_badam & Andy 'Mars Bar' Graham

It's a matter of being fair or not, you are racing to go fast...
In Interlagos Lewis was wearing "The Senna Colors" on his Helmet, does Ayrton would have done something like this...?

Stan.
Yes he would of absolutely done what Lewis did.Can you remember when he took Prost out at the first corner at Suzuka.Let's not look back at Senna with rose tinted specs on.He was great,but he was ruthless.

Looks like Hamilton could be in serious trouble. German media are talking about terminating his contract (rather unlikely) or suspending him for the first few races next season...Senna, Wolf, all agree that he overstepped a line, and it must have consequences..will be interesting :)

Looks like Hamilton could be in serious trouble. German media are talking about terminating his contract (rather unlikely) or suspending him for the first few races next season...

I can't see anything like that happening. It was obvious to anyone that Lewis would drive exactly how he did so if the team management didn't want him to do it they should have told him beforehand which obviously wasn't the case from what Toto has said.

Lewis showed that he's the best of the current field. Rosberg is as lucky, as his father was. I can't believe thath both Rosbergs has one title. Joke.
But it's good from that point that Hamilton will be more stronger next year, so Nico won't even have a chance.
And if i will ever have the possibility to buy a Mercedes road car, i won't. Disgusting what the team did on the last race. That's why i hated Msc and the Ferrari team--> team orders. Not acceptable for me.
Keke took the title because he was very consistent. He drove a NON-turbo-charged car, don't forget that! Six podiums! More than any that year. He won one race, yes, but how many other drivers won more than one race? Five drivers. More than two? None! 16 races 11 winners.
Now look at Nico. He beat Hamilton. Ok, Hamilton had one DNF in Malaysia. But that's racing. It is a mechanical sport. We are too much spoilt with the extreme reliability of Mercedes. 1 DNF because of a mechanical failure. Last year Rosberg had a throttle problem while leading. Brake failures...
Oh, btw: team orders? All the teams do this. You are not always hearing this on the FOM radio.

Keke took the title because he was very consistent. He drove a NON-turbo-charged car, don't forget that! Six podiums! More than any that year. He won one race, yes, but how many other drivers won more than one race? Five drivers. More than two? None! 16 races 11 winners.
Now look at Nico. He beat Hamilton. Ok, Hamilton had one DNF in Malaysia. But that's racing. It is a mechanical sport. We are too much spoilt with the extreme reliability of Mercedes. 1 DNF because of a mechanical failure. Last year Rosberg had a throttle problem while leading. Brake failures...
Oh, btw: team orders? All the teams do this. You are not always hearing this on the FOM radio.
Keke won, because Gilles died and Pironi got injured. End of the story.

Looks like Hamilton could be in serious trouble. German media are talking about terminating his contract (rather unlikely) or suspending him for the first few races next season...Senna, Wolf, all agree that he overstepped a line, and it must have consequences..will be interesting :)

Any race bans would be a rather stupid move by Mercedes.
I'd have it firmly written in my contract as a driver, that any race bans would void the season... with full compensation paid.
Why should he race for any team who 'handicaps' him by doing that. The unreliability was enough.
Do you realize without that last engine failure the title would be his...coming on the back of all those failures at the start of the season?
As to holding the field....
He is there to win the WDC.
Putting his teammate who is leading the championship and certain to win all the 'marbles' in the clutches of an opponent is no different than blocking a faster car from passing during normal racing.
If it was such a 'gentleman's' sport, ALL drivers would allow faster cars to overtake without any kind of defending...even teammates.
It's no different.

Last edited:
I'll just say this. It was the right ending for F1. Nico wins amid Lewis controversy. But the point I want to make is the scene after Nico was headed to the room to await the victory podium. Several drivers gave Nico a hug or pat on the back which I can't say I've seen before. It was more than the usual awkward handshake that sometimes occurs. Alonzo and Seb were especially pleased. I know Lewis has a good number of fans in Britain at least and probably the U.S. but he is not loved like Red 5 or JB has been. In the parade vehicle he stands alone while the rest yuk it up. Okay, that might be his preparation but he has been at McLaren and Mercedes and both teams in controversy. Lewis and Nico, Lewis and Alonzo yet Alonzo and Button got on fine as did Schumy and Nico. Lewis is always thanking the fans, looking for support but the drivers don't care for him much it seems. Maybe he can find a buddy in Verstappen. At the end of a career I'd rather be a Stirling Moss without a championship or a Gilles Villeneuve tenacious but loved off the track than a Hamilton, Schumy or Senna. All great, great drivers but single minded, me only drivers and damn the team.that made it possible.

I'll just say this. It was the right ending for F1. Nico wins amid Lewis controversy. But the point I want to make is the scene after Nico was headed to the room to await the victory podium. Several drivers gave Nico a hug or pat on the back which I can't say I've seen before. It was more than the usual awkward handshake that sometimes occurs. Alonzo and Seb were especially pleased. I know Lewis has a good number of fans in Britain at least and probably the U.S. but he is not loved like Red 5 or JB has been. In the parade vehicle he stands alone while the rest yuk it up. Okay, that might be his preparation but he has been at McLaren and Mercedes and both teams in controversy. Lewis and Nico, Lewis and Alonzo yet Alonzo and Button got on fine as did Schumy and Nico. Lewis is always thanking the fans, looking for support but the drivers don't care for him much it seems. Maybe he can find a buddy in Verstappen. At the end of a career I'd rather be a Stirling Moss without a championship or a Gilles Villeneuve tenacious but loved off the track than a Hamilton, Schumy or Senna. All great, great drivers but single minded, me only drivers and damn the team.that made it possible.

Sometimes despite best effort, certain folk are not liked as much as others. That's life.
It happens for all kinds of reasons.
You say it wasn't the usual awkward handshake... it shouldn't be.
He is a new WDC and I'm sure the other drivers see it as such.
That's an achievement they'd all like to reach for.
It's also 'new' to him...having never been there before.
Lewis gets paid lots of money to drive the car...not to make friends.
The team did not make Lewis...they did it together.
He makes the Mercedes brand and their sponsors hundreds of millions of dollars every year in advertising simply by keeping that car out front.
As to team harmony... You, I or no one else here knows what is said behind closed doors at McLaren, Mercedes or any other team he's ever driven for.
To assume he is the cause of any disharmony simply because he doesn't 'yuck' it up with all the other drivers in public, is a stretch.
He actually seems to get on quite well with Button.
As for the WDC... Should he have just 'open the door' and ushered Nico through because he'd never won a WDC before... especially when there was a chance to capitalize on a swarming pack?
I think not.
Drivers challenge everybody on track...even a teammate.
It's the reason they fight so hard to pass each other on track unless team orders are given.
Lewis did not put him in physical danger.
Even I would have been against that...had it happened.

Last edited:
Mod Edit: Racist comments are not tolerated. Such behaviour is so disgustingly abhorrent that you've got yourself a one week ban from our forums. If your behaviour doesn't change by the time you come back, then you'll be permanently banned from our community as we will not accept users behaving in such a manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod Edit: Racist comments are not tolerated. Such behaviour is so disgustingly abhorrent that you've got yourself a one week ban from our forums. If your behaviour doesn't change by the time you come back, then you'll be permanently banned from our community as we will not accept users behaving in such a manner.
That's for who?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back