About to purchase fanatec CSL elite LC

manu68

Premium
Hi everybody.
After pretty long checked of various options , I came to the conclusions that this pedals set is probably the best one for me.

I want to upgrade from my current G25. I must admit that I have always concernant regarding replacing something which is working perfectly.

Well, I could easily purchase the club sport V3, but the simplicity and the global design of the CSL elite seems very nice to me. I really think I would be fully satisfied, but I dont want to make mistake due to my lack of experience in such hardware.

I dont need to be convinced , just be sure I dont forget something very important based only on Web review.

I will upgrade the wheel itself later this year. I hesitate to go for the thrusmaster TS PC or directly for the club base v 2.5 fanatec.

I am not a hype or geek guy who absolutely need to have the most impressive gear around. Just something nice, reliable for the next 10 years (as my G25).

Thanks for any comment pros or absolutely cons

I upgraded from the g25 about 2 years ago to the Fanatec 2.5 wheel base, and the V3 Clubsport pedal set. Huge difference, and I have been completely satisfied with the purchase.
I have had zero issues, and they have worked perfectly since.
They work great with all the current simracing games, Assetto Corsa, Rfactor 2, Raceroom Experience, Project Cars 2.

Upvote 0
There are a few downsides to the CSL elite pedals:
1. I'm on my 2nd throttle pot. First one started spiking after 2 weeks. Received a new one within a few days, replaced it and the old one wasn't only spiking, the plastic gear was f*cked completely. No idea how...
Pots: I only have the dual pedals, not the LC. When I don't use the pedals for a few days, they will spike for the first few minutes. And to be honest, after watching this for a while, I always have the feel that they would spike. I'm basically waiting until I can send another email to Fanatec...

2. The clutch is only a linear spring. The longer throw is cool but the V3 clutch has this leverage that swaps around so you have a real "clutch is engaged or not" feel and not just a spring that gets compressed.

3. The LC is badly designed!
Now this is a bit more complicated but I know you will easily understand this:
The loadcell is a standard strain gauge but instead of being placed in the "footprint" of the brake pedal, so really just the pressure on the elastomer-axis is measured, the loadcell of the CSL elite pedal is in the pedal arm, not measuring the footprint-pressure but the flex of the pedal arm!

Doesn't sound like a big problem, but the issue is that you create more leverage on the pedal arm, when you press further to the top of the pedal plate.
Result is that you need your whole leg or basically get no brake input at all if you press onto the pedal arm where it connects to the elastomer-axis and if you press the very top of the pedal plate with your big toe, you max it out already.

Here's a little drawing:
upload_2019-5-28_14-58-42.png

This is why I won't buy the LC upgrade for my dual pedals. If I ever go clutch + loadcell, I will buy pedals with a decent clutch mechanism, the loadcell not being sensitive to position of my foot and no potentiometers inside.

V3 has a clutch mechanism, hall sensors and the good LC design. But it seems to have some issues too which is why I hesitate to get them (got the CSL in the xbox one bundle with CSW 2.5 and the round rim).

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you.
I see you want me spend more money !

The potentiometer is something that I have already read about. It may be indeed annoying. Difficult for me to judge. I also read that the V3 is not perfect too.
Regarding the clutch, I think that it should be real problem. I use shifter more for the fun as for racing.

The loadcell with flex.
Well, I know the theoritical limitations of the dedign, but I could not really find very bad comment on this on many review I could read. Of course it may not be as the V3 clubs port system, but for someone already used to the G25 ?

Paul Glover tested it and for him it is a fantastic pedal set with this loadcell.

The only real small hesitation I have is on the potentiometer side. With the V3 I am a little afraid with the complexity of the all thing

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you.
I see you want me spend more money !

The potentiometer is something that I have already read about. It may be indeed annoying. Difficult for me to judge. I also read that the V3 is not perfect too.
Regarding the clutch, I think that it should be real problem. I use shifter more for the fun as for racing.

The loadcell with flex.
Well, I know the theoritical limitations of the dedign, but I could not really find very bad comment on this on many review I could read. Of course it may not be as the V3 clubs port system, but for someone already used to the G25 ?

Paul Glover tested it and for him it is a fantastic pedal set with this loadcell.

The only real small hesitation I have is on the potentiometer side. With the V3 I am a little afraid with the complexity of the all thing
I guess if you're fine needing to always keep your foot at the same position (honestly I think I would be fine too), then it's apparently totally okay.

Pots: you got 2 year warranty and they will send you a new pot before you have to send the failed one back so at least for 2 years you're fine without costs. After that it's 15€ or something.

V3 indeed seem to have some problems too.. complexity isn't an issue though. It looks pretty fancy but they should be totally fine right out of the box!

Here's a source for the loadcell issue, quickly dug up one of them :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/8fg8tg/csl_elite_lc_brake_problems/

And the video one of them created, which shows it pretty clearly:

Upvote 0
In the real life I brake with my foot elevated from the ground. Other said I dont let my heel on the ground.
It means I should brake with the uppercut part of this pedal, which should be okay.
But I have pretty small foot, so it may be à problem to be constant.

Upvote 0
It's really annoying, I also have this problem with the Fanatec LC. I wouldn't have bought them had I knew before hand. I have to keep my heel in exactly the same position and foot on the same place or I just lock my brakes or don't apply enough force if my foot slides down a few cm.

TERRIBLE DESIGN. Does anyone know if I can rip this LC out of the pedal arm and relocate it to the end of the elastomer bumpers? lol

Upvote 0
I found most reviewers of most products that I own are morons, they don't pay close attention to anything even when they're supposedly enthusiasts of the product or genre of products. Randomcallsign, Gamer muscle, Insidesimracing, Sim racing paddock... All review this pedal set and all miss out this huge design flaw with the loadcell.

They also all miss out the design of the brake using 0 springs at all to brace the pedal and provide a slight constant pressure which causes it to wobble side to side making a loud knocking sound. If you just rest your foot slightly on the pedal it rocks side to side and feels terrible.

Clearly these companies should send the products to me to get thorough feedback and reviews of what's actually good/bad lol

Upvote 0
I personally like simracing garage.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Very informative.

I am building my rig slowly . I begun with the Pc and monitor . Then will come the pedals. And only later the wheel.
I also have already designed alu rig, but I am so comfortable with my super simple current race seat that I hesitate a lot I must admit
It seems totally cheap, and it is, but offers an almost perfect and comfortable driving position (the desk should be just little lower)

Attachments

• 20190528_182805.jpg
    20190528_182805.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 891
Upvote 0
Of course I will go for alu rig with a new wheel.

with my basic garden seat I have about this kind of position. Very comfortable.

Attachments

• the-custom-molded-drivers-seat-of-the-sls-amg-gt3_100381618_l.jpg
    the-custom-molded-drivers-seat-of-the-sls-amg-gt3_100381618_l.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 495
  • AY0F9269.jpg
    AY0F9269.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 946
  • bmw-z4-gt3-zanardi-images-30.jpg
    bmw-z4-gt3-zanardi-images-30.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 775
Upvote 0
It does look very comfy indeed! :D

I love simracing garage too btw and Barry really is great when showing details etc.
The funny thing about his csl review is that he removes the little spongy thing, puts an elastomer disc more in that thing and puts everything under pressure when attaching the rod again.
So he takes out the "very important and not removable sponge" out, as fanatec calls it (they have a line about that thing in their manual) and then puts the whole rod under pressure, which basically works like the spring that is missing to get rid of the wobbling.

Therefore it's a great pedal for him :p
He also has a rig and drives with shoes, which basically gets pretty much rid of the problem of pressing at different spots of the faceplate.

Not blaming him. The review itself is great but due to his little modification he couldn't get it.

He also removed any pedal travel with this btw. I asked two friends who have the csl set and they both say without the spongy you basically stomp on a brick. Not like a real car at all. At least not like any cars they know (no race cars but different road cars, mx-5 etc).

I guess you could simply practice to always press the pedal at the same spot. For me it kills the great stuff of loadcells a little. You want muscle memory instead of practicing to hit the right travel distance on a pot. Now you need to always press at the same spot. A bit... Well yeah :p

Upvote 0
Agreed 100% Rasmus, it does really detract from the loadcell experience.

I know F1 brake pedals are like stepping on bricks, same with some other fast open wheelers, it also depends on the driver though. Road cars like the MX-5 have assisted brake pedals so they have lots of travel and feel quite spongy, at least you can set it up either way on the CSLs, like Barry or like a street car.

I still want to re-locate this loadcell off the pedal arm and into the part where the elastomers get squeezed, it's probably impossible though without rewiring it a bunch.

Upvote 0
I still want to re-locate this loadcell off the pedal arm and into the part where the elastomers get squeezed, it's probably impossible though without rewiring it a bunch.
The problem is that you would need a different loadcell design, similar to the Clubsport pedals. No idea how to attach that and how to connect it... You'd need the same output from a different loadcell, re-wire everything...

Upvote 0
Same advice as always.
Think about which option you can afford, then think about what option you would prefer, then force yourself to spend more money than you really want to. You will almost always be glad that you spent a little more than you really wanted to. Nothing worse than splashing out and then not being happy with your purchase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mine failed and I wish I started off with the V3's instead of getting the CSL LC setup. Tried to save a little bit of money, ended up costing me more in the long run. I enjoyed my ownership of the pedals for the almost 2 years I had it, but wasn't about to spend out of warranty money on replacement.

Go with the V3's if you can and don't look back. The CSL line is proving to me to be too cheap in the long term. My CSL Elite PS4 wheelbase is holding up, but the plastic steering wheel mounting point has developed a crack like everyone else. Luckily I have a DD1 coming and gonna sell this bugger off.

Upvote 0
Agree with everyone's criticism of the CSL elite LC pedals. They're pretty ok for mounting flat and using fixed foot positions, but inverting then you're gonna have a bad time.

I tried inverting them on my aluminium frame and successfully did so (you can just invert the whole pedal plate) and while the ergonomics were fine the LC pressure point issue is even more pronounced. When they're flat mounted you naturally position the ball of your foot to the high part of the pedal, when they're inverted you are then positioning the ball of your foot to the bottom of the pedal (ie. towards the pedal arm) so suddenly your pressure readings go haywire.

Eventually you develop a muscle memory for it, but for me it was after a break in period of mental conditioning due to bad brake inputs.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 91 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing