About to purchase 2nd hand rift s for sim racing

Question is, my sim rig is under my stairs (family man) away from kids and life.
Its great, my worry is that i hear about VR needing at least 1m by 1m space?
If i only really use it sitting down in my race seat, do i still have to set it up to have 1m by 1m?

Oh and does it come with cable as standard? I ask as CEX sell a cable separately as swell for 75 quid.

Last edited:
You need to setup the seating area, it's really just to guage the ground level, and once done, you can forget about it and the need for the hand controllers. It should come with the cable as it is not WI FI.

You need to setup the seating area, it's really just to guage the ground level, and once done, you can forget about it and the need for the hand controllers. It should come with the cable as it is not WI FI.
Well I got it today, about to set it up once the kids are in bed.
For some reason they think I'm the coolest dad ever right now, they seem to be under the impression its for them...how wrong they are...
How very wrong they are....

God this is brain melting.
Issues so far keeps uncentering my view in various games mainly race room and AMS2.

Oculus just won't leave me alone its constantly there popping up.

Got the fpsvr app and it doesn't work in AMS2 as far as i can tell.

Do i run games in steamvr mode or oculus mode?

I think I'm too old for this.

Also confused if my nvidia settings affect VR as i run in 60 fps rate in there for my monitor.
I mean its great, but its another layer of stress in PC gaming.

Also i find my FFB is less powerful when running VR, maybe the USB plugged in affects the TX wheel USB?
Or placebo.
Also i never run 'prefer max performance' in control panel i do optimal.
And underclocked GPU to max 1740mhz
Anyway RTX 2070 with Ryzen 5 3600 so is capable even if i don't max its power (for temp reasons).

Hey ho all fun and games, right?
Is it fun?

I have the HP Reverb G1, so take my answers with a pinch of the proverbial!
Issues so far keeps uncentering my view in various games mainly race room and AMS2.
You mentioned at the start that your rig is under the stairs? My rig is right up against a completely flat and featureless wall and when I turn to face it, the headset would often losing tracking. I ended up putting a picture there and haven't had a problem since
Got the fpsvr app and it doesn't work in AMS2 as far as i can tell.
Hmmm... I use it in AMS2.... I'm wondering if you are bypassing steamvr? The Q&A for fpsVR does say that some games override it: https://steamcommunity.com/app/908520/discussions/0/1735462352484917218/

Also i find my FFB is less powerful when running VR, maybe the USB plugged in affects the TX wheel USB?
Or placebo.
I think that is placebo. I guess the FFB updates might be less frequent if the game is running at a lower FPS, but the way the updates work is that they set a constant value for the wheel, so I'd expect it to maybe feel less smooth

Last edited:
Make sure you have the guardian setting set up properly - about a few feet around your rig. Again, it's important to establish the ground so you are seated in the car properly. You should be using the Oculus start up option in AMS2. If you want to add some super sampling or adjust the FOV down to increase performance, then there is a programme called the Oculus Debug Tool that is in your Oculus folder, maybe leave that for now, you can always come back to it later. Turn off your FPS limiter in Nvidea Control Panel. You want to hit 80fps with the Rift S. In the Oculus device settings you should opt for performance over quality. The same goes for the NCP settings that concern performance. There are loads of tools and tutorials out there to aid in getting the most from the Rift S, but to get up and running, just aim for a solid 80 FPS and work from there.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back