About sharing skins

Joona @JoonaaBug · Apr 24
@AC_assettocorsa On the same topic, will the modified car skins be shared with the other players automatically?

AssettoCorsa @AC_assettocorsa · Apr 24
@joonaabug nope

Joona @JoonaaBug · Apr 24
@AC_assettocorsa Can the players download them manually and have them show on the other players, then?

AssettoCorsa @AC_assettocorsa · Apr 24
@joonaabug yes of course

It is a bit strange why no sims do the online skin system. LFS has had one for something like 10 years already and forza has had one for quite some time as well - on consoles! So it can't be expensive to do. LFS even has a monetizing model on it. You can upload 50 skins for free and then after that if you pay 1£ you can upload 50 more. Also the standard lfs skin resolution is 512x512 and with paying little extra you can get 1024x1024 skins (I think). For 2014 that 512x is definitely way too low but I'd imagine 2k (2048x2048) is enough.

If the upper limit for one skin is something like 1,5mb per skin then for full grid that is like 30 megs. Obviously that doesn't mean you need to download 30 megs of skins for every race. And it shouldn't download while racing. And even more obviously it is a feature you can turn off if you have slow or datalimited connection.

Even if ac offered one skin for each car +5 extra it would mean that if average skin is 1,5mb and ac has 20 cars and 15000 people have then ac needs storage of 1,5mb*(20+5)*15000=562Gb. That's absolutely meaningless amount of data. The problem is the bandwidth I'd imagine. But if lfs has been able to do it for 10 years now I can't imagine it being impossible for ac...

As of now there isn't an automatic or even official skin sharing service, and you need to download skins others are using manually to be able to see them.

There is a nice package manager for Assetto Corsa which can be used to easily share mods but unfortunately I'm the only person to have put a package in it so far (I made the RevHunter app over on the official forums) which is a shame since it works really well. If you want to take a look at it you can find the thread on it here or go to it's website, www.acpm.io.

I already talked to the author and he said it's fine to use it to distribute things other than mods so send him a message on the AC forums if you want and see if he's ok with adding skins to it. He might add a subsection to the program to separate skins from mods and then maybe divide skins by car or something like that if it starts getting more users.

Mostly a skin is not only the exterior body painting.
Add to it: windows internal and external, rims, wheels, driver, helmet and sometimes even the pitcrew ! ... and more when interior of car may be painted and some other pieces.

Working with high res graphics ... weights more of course ... and AC deserves it.

Mostly a skin is not only the exterior body painting.
Add to it: windows internal and external, rims, wheels, driver, helmet and sometimes even the pitcrew ! ... and more when interior of car may be painted and some other pieces.

Working with high res graphics ... weights more of course ... and AC deserves it.
Including the pit crews, helmets and driver suits to a skin seems like a very bad decision to me. Not only it makes individual skins huge but it also prevents people from using separate skins for driving suits, helmets and the car exterior.
Most of the custom skin i have downloaded in AC is, (at least those who is more than simply a different color)
Could you link me one of these skins so I can take a look at it? Maybe I'm missing something here :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 182 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 498 39.1%