abnormal file tree for Race 07

Hello - I am trying to instal a mod for Race 07. I have the Steam version, and also have GTR Evolution and the Steam Simbin bundle.

The normal route is to copy the mod file into this folder:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\[USERNAME]\Race 07\

But inside my steamapps file there is no username. In fact, when I search my hard drive for my user name the only place it comes up is in the Documents folder. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

Heya,

this "normal" path seems to mix up setups/skins and mods. Downloaded skins or car setups go into "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\SimBin\RACE 07", which is your user's documents folder.
Mods, like new tracks or cars, go into different subfolders of the Race07 installation, which is indeed located in the SteamApps folder: "\steam\steamapps\common\race 07" - no username over here :)

Often enough, the mod's zip file will already contain the subfolder structure so you can easily extract it right there. If it doesn't, tracks will go to "\GameData\Locations" :)

Bjorn - Thank you for the help!
I extracted the files and it made a new folder: race 07 cart indycar 94-94 v1.1.
So I opened that up and copied the contents:
Gamedata folder
UIData
Readme
Changelog
Simbin Front – Ends

And pasted those into the Race 07 folder. I did not see the mod in the sim. I aLso tried dropping that whole race 07 cart indycar 94-94 v1.1 folder into the Race 07 folder, and didn't see it either. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again!
Rob

Phew.. well, putting both the GameData and the UIData straight into the \Steam\SteamApps\Common folder seems pretty solid as they should contain all further folders needed. Not sure about the "Simbin Front - Ends" thing, it's not something the R07 folder is usually sporting.
Dropping the whole folder as a new subfolder to the R07 folder will definitely not work, though.

You might try checking out \GameData\Teams for new cars, just to be sure the extraction process itself worked out alright.

Edit: Alright, went ahead and downloaded what I assume is the mod you're talking about. Judging by the file structure, putting both GameData and UIData into your Race07 steam folder should work out. With the (annoying) unnecessary extra folder inside the archive, I'd try opening the archive in your extraction tool (I'd recommend 7zip), navigating into the "CART..." folder and then copying both the GameData and UIData by dragging them out of the extraction tool's window into your Race07 folder. This way, everything necessary should definitely be copied.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 222 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 116 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%