aa graphics Automobilista help!

i have attached a pic of the problem i'm having i have enabled aa threw nvidia control panel and inspector but even at 8 times i'm getting bad jaggies mainly on the wheel in game, looks 10x worse when moving any help appreciated as you can probably tell i'm new to automobilista

Here you go guys :)

EDIT: thanks to Reiza it's now built in the config tool to force SGSSAA. So ignore what I wrote, you don't really need it anymore!

Ignore the 4k resolution, just tested DSR... I'm playing in FullHD!
Important is to disable sweetFX to get the native, ingame msaa to work. I got microstutters if I force msaa with inspector!
Sounds mean but I won't explain how to get the inspector to look like this. If you can't figure out you probably shouldn't mess with it in the first place. If you have questions while figuring it out, I will gladly help, of course! :)
AMS_ConfigurationTool.JPG
AMS_Inspector.JPG

Last edited:
Here you go guys :)
Ignore the 4k resolution, just tested DSR
View attachment 210376 View attachment 210377
I probably should have mentioned that i disabled sweetfx already because i read this elsewhere. But i only tried at 4x. I will try it at 8. What I would really like to know is, what changed in recent builds. I used to be able to use sweetfx alongside nvidia inspector settings up until a few builds ago. (Not sure when it started because i was without a wheel for a few months). Thank you for the reply by the way.

Nothing has changed, you may need to update Nvidia Inspector and re-apply your settings if you updated your drivers though. If you have set Inspector to over-ride in game settings, setting a setting in game is pointless, and any perceived change should just be placebo... (but although who knows)

Nothing has changed, you may need to update Nvidia Inspector and re-apply your settings if you updated your drivers though. If you have set Inspector to over-ride in game settings, setting a setting in game is pointless, and any perceived change should just be placebo... (but although who knows)
Ok thank you. I always export my inspector settings when updating nvidia drivers. But i inspector itself might not be up to date. I will check it out tomorrow. Thank you for the advice

Absolutely agree. But I spent too much time on other games to test if "enhance" works or not so I just double it :roflmao:
I probably should have mentioned that i disabled sweetfx already because i read this elsewhere. But i only tried at 4x. I will try it at 8. What I would really like to know is, what changed in recent builds. I used to be able to use sweetfx alongside nvidia inspector settings up until a few builds ago. (Not sure when it started because i was without a wheel for a few months). Thank you for the reply by the way.
The important thing isn't the MSAA on 4x or 8x.
It's SGSSAA (Antialiasing - transparency Supersampling: 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling) what makes the image SUPER SMOOTH! :geek:
It EATS your graphics card for breakfast though so use with care! My GTX 1070 runs around 35% load though but if you have an older card it could be heavy on it!

Note: SGSSAA uses the "samples" from MSAA. So you can run 8x MSAA with 4x SGSSAA but not 4x MSAA with 8x SGSSAA!
If you need to lower the settings always go 1-step-down on SGSSAA, then 1-step-down on MSAA to, then again 1-step-down on MSAA etc.

I've been only using 2xSGSS and it's quite good already. But I'd like to test this, as I use 'Enhance...', not 'override'. Unfortunately the freezing has been so frustrating (still no working suggestions in the Reiza forum - FPS lock, disable superfetch, etc. past a year) so I haven't played it much in a while.

While at it, how do you create 'Automobilista' in the Profile name? I'm asking because Automobilista doesn't exist in the default list, so I have to add '...:\steamlibrary\common\automobilista\ams.exe in Profiles. It possible to change it to just 'Automobilista'? Using nvidia inspector 2.1.3.1 if that matters.

I've been only using 2xSGSS and it's quite good already. But I'd like to test this, as I use 'Enhance...', not 'override'. Unfortunately the freezing has been so frustrating (still no working suggestions in the Reiza forum - FPS lock, disable superfetch, etc. past a year) so I haven't played it much in a while.

While at it, how do you create 'Automobilista' in the Profile name? I'm asking because Automobilista doesn't exist in the default list, so I have to add '...:\steamlibrary\common\automobilista\ams.exe in Profiles. It possible to change it to just 'Automobilista'? Using nvidia inspector 2.1.3.1 if that matters.
I had some bad stuttering too but they are gone since a while. I have just everything maxed out, didn't bother with the settings in detail to be honest, it's running fine :)

I had to add the ams.exe manually like you had to too. I clicked on the "sun": *create new profile*, called it "Automobilista" and added the ams.exe with the little "A with a plus" button": *Add application to current profile*

I had some bad stuttering too but they are gone since a while. I have just everything maxed out, didn't bother with the settings in detail to be honest, it's running fine :)

I had to add the ams.exe manually like you had to too. I clicked on the "sun": *create new profile*, called it "Automobilista" and added the ams.exe with the little "A with a plus" button": *Add application to current profile*
Actually not stuttering, but rather, 'screen freezing' for a few seconds.

Thanks for that "sun" symbol, :thumbsup: didn't notice that. :redface:

ok so i did some more testing, and the only way i can get the settings to apply is to use "enhance" vs override settings. And only with sweetfx off. Ive never had to do this before. So im not sure what is different. But it is what it is. As much as i like sweetfx its not worth the jaggies.

this happens to me as well, in the menus. whenever a car loads on the selection screen, i get a little stutter. And then it smooths out.
Like I said earlier, I don't get stutter, I get 'screen freezes'. While driving on track (exact point is random), the screen will freeze (no input is read from your wheel or keyboard,etc), then it resumes after a few seconds. So in some cases, you crash.

Like I said earlier, I don't get stutter, I get 'screen freezes'. While driving on track (exact point is random), the screen will freeze (no input is read from your wheel or keyboard,etc), then it resumes after a few seconds. So in some cases, you crash.
Had the same issue recently, so I went on and reinstalled Windows 10. So far so good since. ;)

Just want to say that in Windows 10 Fall Creator, the one that is going to be release on 17 October, with nVidia drivers AA is broken. I've tried everything. AMS config and nvidia inspector it's the same. Nothing works to correct alising.

Just want to say that in Windows 10 Fall Creator, the one that is going to be release on 17 October, with nVidia drivers AA is broken. I've tried everything. AMS config and nvidia inspector it's the same. Nothing works to correct alising.
I had the same issue with the current release version as well, all fixed after a clean reinstall of Win10. It's more like the update breaks something in the driver chain.

Thanks RasmusP for info and settings, works fine for me and also stopped stuttering on sata 3 drive. Do you know a setting to stop shimmering on track side railings ( 60s_ spa an rFactor conversion).

Thanks RasmusP for info and settings, works fine for me and also stopped stuttering on sata 3 drive. Do you know a setting to stop shimmering on track side railings ( 60s_ spa an rFactor conversion).
Don't have this track and only run AMS every now and then so I can't check it quickly, sorry.
But for all DX9 games there is the solution of SGSSAA (what you seem to already run?) and if that's not enough you can bring the LOD BIAS CLAMP back even on newer GPUs.
What GPU do you have?

EDIT: put my original post (not recommended but works) in a spoiler and quoted Alex' awesome post. I'm sorry that I didn't know that!

I strongly recommend that people do not do this. There is no reason to have people go around hacking their drivers files when we offer a built in solution by editing the following lines to this in your PLR file. In fact we may just add a Texture Sharpening option to the in game menu, to stop this type of advice full stop

Mipmap Adjust Mode="1" // 0 = Disabled, 1 = Clamp, 2 = Bias
Mipmap Bias="0.00000".

Anyway: if you need some help with it just ask, I'll give you a short instruction.

Download this:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downl...idia-drivers-patcher-tools-x86-x64-guzz.7083/

and this test programm:
AF Tester

Now you have two patcher executables for 32bit and 64bit.

Now put these two nvidia files (you need to do this everytime the driver updates!!!):
C:\Windows\System32\nvd3dumx.dll
and
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvd3dum.dll

in the same folder as the patcher executables and run both.

To test if they work: put both (if you aren't sure if it's 32 or 64bit) patched DLLs, it doesn't hurt to have both in the destination folder!, next to the D3DAFTester executable and run it.
If you now take the LOD Bias slider below 0, nothing should happen!

If it works put the patched DLLs next to your AMS executable and you now have a clamped LOD bias, which will reduce flickering! It will also make far ways things a bit blurrier, but I prefer it!

Only works for DX9 and yeah, written explanations are always a pain...
Here is a soundless video of it :)

And here are Screenshots of the CLAMP setting. It's not much but overall it reduces flickering quite well!
Clamp: left, Default: right
D_JQTzcERdy8znoVcURN8A3On9Ydg9e92znpFC-9kzs

Brn8Fbn2K-S8N5gf4BsC4QwH1rF99JCjauo2RKb_sXc

Clamp
ZSOnI_v1JkAkf7t_zeVIY1zygg34EPJfZ2_37ksrUUQ

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 379 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%