A Wild Idea

Folks,

I wonder if it would be possible to setup an occasional training session. What I mean by that is an event where some number of really fast guys agree to come and give advice/help to some number of slow guys who sign up for the event. For instance, having an event where fast guys act as coaches, and ride along with someone who needs some help, and critique their laps. Or, a clinic where a group of folks follow a fast guy in lapping one of the tough courses to teach the proper line, and to practice following without punting. At one event, Bram was kind enough to suggest that I watch him lapping in the race monitor, and that really helped me to drive the course and stay on track (it was Zandvoort I think, THANKS BRAM!):thumb:. On another occasion, Warren agreed to meet me at a track, and we just lapped together, practicing leading and following, and working on the line and setup and such (THANKS WARREN!):thumb:. This kind of help has really made RD a great place for me, and is a lot of fun. Such teaching would also help to make many of us better drivers, and proper encouragement and coaching might help to get people driving more cautiously and reduce the number of incidents at race events.

I realize that this would be some significant effort in setting up, and in arranging coaches to come help. It would also be a chore for the coaches. I am certainly not qualified to coach (in fact I really need help!:wink:), but I would be happy to help with organization if that was useful.

If this is a dumb idea, just kill the thread. I thought that it might help to continue the wonderful learning and growing atmosphere that was promoted here by Warren's FD events. I, for one, could benefit a great deal from this tyoe of event, and I suspect that there are many others in the same boat.

Chris

Not a dumb idea at all. I suggest contacting on of our racing club staff to set this up. Also hopping into one of the STATS servers will help you improving your driving. Maybe we should gather there for a teamspeak session ?

Hi,

This is a great idea, I be up for this, as I need help with driving, once I have my wheel etc... hopefully near the end of the week I will get it.

Since the vcr files now show a lot more info than what was visible in gtr2 then what would be nice to see is the log and vcr files being posted for each event so that people can then have a sneak peak at the fast guys driving styles and get to know how they set their gearing, how they use the power and how they approach corners and see just where they make up the time.

Hi,

I think the best way is being show, while you follow from behind, then you do it and the person follows you. Then during or after being told what you are doing wrong maybe on Teamspeak, and if/how you can improve, and then try again if time permits. I know this way takes peoples time.

I have tried watching the replays in the game and don't I think it as good as being shown.

• tamas sipos

it would be a good idea, but the problem is that everyone have different setups and driving styles, hence you cannot fully copy the intructor's every move.
on the other hand this would be good for finding the braking point, finding the apex and learn how to cope with situations (for example overtaking without collission).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 285 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 40.0%