A simulation here, a simulation there...but how real?

Tim Ling

It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work
The thought has occured to me that I have no idea how "real" these cars and tracks really are. I'm looking forward to hitting the Nordschleife in a DB9, but as exciting as that is going to be, how accurate, how real will it be?

For example: Porches are known as brilliant cars to drive, but they can bite you in the butt big time. How real is the experience in game, especially if the car is from a mod, PCC mod for rfactor maybe.

I'm not complaining. The fun is there whatever the answer. I am curious though, as I'll probably never get to drive one of these beasts IRL

For example: Porches are known as brilliant cars to drive, but they can bite you in the butt big time. How real is the experience in game, especially if the car is from a mod, PCC mod for rfactor maybe.

I think it will always depend on how well the mod is done. Some mods are great, some not so good. With mods eg. rFactor, you have to try them and judge for yourself.
If you use games from reputeable makers, such as simbin games, your chances of getting close to realism improves a lot.
eg. try the Porsches in GTL, they certainly bite you in the butt when you push just past the limit.

A friend of mine came to visit a few weeks ago. Having not seen each other for a while conversation swung round to what we did when we didn't work. Naturally sim racing was mentioned and a quick guided tour round RD followed. I then cranked up GTL for him and set him off in an Austin Cooper S round Mondello. What he said after he'd finished I think is relevant. He said (paraphrased) "..you know it's not real, because I'm aware of sitting on your sofa, but Jesus their were times I thought I might actually die.."

Vince is an ADI (advanced driving instructor) and was very helpful to me when I was doing my emergency driving course for the ambulance service and still remains a great help:thumb: I'll take his word for it.

Simon:)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 262 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 173 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 171 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%
  • < 5 years