A Simracing Wheel That Works In A GT3?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Recently German sim racing hardware giants Fanatec announced an interesting new collaboration with BMW to develop a replica sim racing wheel... that isn't a replica, but actually works in the real car!

Yes you heard that right, the newly announced BMW Fanatec wheel has been created to work in both the real and virtual world, meaning that for the very first time sim racers will have the opportunity to use hardware on their rigs at home that is identical to the wheel attached to the latest GT3 specification race cars from the Bavarian marque.

unnamed.jpg

The announcement piece from Fanatec got me thinking, with the worlds of real and virtual racing seemingly converging ever closer in recent months, how big is this announcement for our sport? To see a brand as prestigious as BMW engaging with the powerhouse that is Fanatec to produce a crossover piece of hardware like this is something rather incredible, and can only mean exciting things for the future of hardware development at the very highest end of the market.

Think back 10 or even 20 years ago, playing with a plastic wheel on the old Xbox with it tightly pinned onto the sofa by your knees, and how far hardware has travelled in such a short space of time is almost crazy to comprehend.

This announcement, aside from being very, very cool in its own right, is potentially massive for our hobby. BMW themselves consider esport to be a key pillar in their motorsport adventures going forward, both in terms of competitions and hardware, and that extra influx of prestige and obviously exposure can only be a great thing for our community going forward.

Real cars using sim racing wheels, at the top level of international GT racing. Yup. We live in strange but absolutely wonderful times.

Fanatec BMW announcement | Read more HERE.

What do you make of the new announcement? Interested to see how the wheel performs in the real and virtual world? Do you think this is the start of potentially a golden age for sim racing hardware? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Thanks mate, but I wonder how many people bought that original wheel because of this white lie? I mean, how many will go out and buy this because they say it's the same wheel as the one's in the GT3 car? A dubious bit of marketing back in 2011 methinks which doesn't bring a smile to my face considering the cost of their gear.

Upvote 0
Some people spend little to nothing on a hobby, some people go all in...makes no difference. Spend what you want, don't envy what you can't have for whatever reason, and keep it moving.

What's the point of a Sports car? Expensive alcohol? Designer clothes? 8K TVs and so on? It's not for us to decide what gets made and who, if anyone, gets to purchase it. Live and let live, guys.

Upvote 0
And if the wheel is not enough, now you've got the full set :

There's no way this horror would be allowed in my house! :thumbsdown:

Upvote 0
Thanks mate, but I wonder how many people bought that original wheel because of this white lie? I mean, how many will go out and buy this because they say it's the same wheel as the one's in the GT3 car? A dubious bit of marketing back in 2011 methinks which doesn't bring a smile to my face considering the cost of their gear.
I think, people didn't care that much back then, I mean this video is over 9 years old by now

Upvote 0
Personally am trying really hard to convince myself that I don't need this wheel. I think it looks awesome.

I like sim tech which makes me feel like a real racing driver for a few hours at a time. This would tick that box.

Just not sure I'll be able to justify the cost over say a direct drive base or pc upgrade.

We'll see.

Upvote 0
Simple: who wants it, it will get it.
I wanted Playseat F1 and I bought it - don`t like it, bought Fanatec`s Formula V2 - don`t like it either. So, at least I know what to look for the next time. The point is, if you are not glad with something, you can still sell it, someone else might like it. Depends on how much time you spend using it.

Upvote 0
Some people spend little to nothing on a hobby, some people go all in...makes no difference. Spend what you want, don't envy what you can't have for whatever reason, and keep it moving.

What's the point of a Sports car? Expensive alcohol? Designer clothes? 8K TVs and so on? It's not for us to decide what gets made and who, if anyone, gets to purchase it. Live and let live, guys.
I wish I could like posts twice.

Upvote 0
Personally am trying really hard to convince myself that I don't need this wheel. I think it looks awesome.
This wheel comes with a new mount too, so everyone that wants the wheel is going to have to get the mount too. If they don't want to be switching the mount off the wheelbase to make use of their old wheels they'll probably have to replace the old mounts on all their wheels to the new mount type. There are going to be other costs and annoyances with buying this wheel.

I'm excited about the product but I'm pretty sure it's not for me. I'm still on CSW 2.5 and this wheel is complete overkill for that wheelbase.

Upvote 0
I thought about this a little more and summed it up in my mind as this being progress. It is another step in making quality gear. While I may not be willing to pay and early adopter price right now, this will result in better products for me down the line for sure.

Upvote 0
This wheel comes with a new mount too, so everyone that wants the wheel is going to have to get the mount too. If they don't want to be switching the mount off the wheelbase to make use of their old wheels they'll probably have to replace the old mounts on all their wheels to the new mount type. There are going to be other costs and annoyances with buying this wheel.

I'm excited about the product but I'm pretty sure it's not for me. I'm still on CSW 2.5 and this wheel is complete overkill for that wheelbase.
I suspect that this wheel will be DD only.

Upvote 0
I suspect that this wheel will be DD only.
I don't know why DD only, it will work on v2.x. Maybe like this??? :coffee:

BMWGT3.jpg

just replace with
CS-QRA-BLK-580x366_01_1280x1280.jpg

Besides there are plenty of v2.x (DD is not the total cats' meow) owners with $1000+ third party rims ...just Google it (they just go the USB Cable route) ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Get outta here with your reasonable logic. Who do you think you are making all kinds of sense. Dont you know this is 2020?

Please nobody get offended, just a stupid joke.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Communication protocol is different too.
How well that will work with existing wheelbases?
Is there planned backward compatibility for old wheels?
Does new QR work with them?

Upvote 0
This is pretty cool. I have to hand it to Fanatec, they've done an excellent job creating an ecosystem with incredible wheels from the Porsche to the BMW. That's what had me recently upgrade my DD wheel from an Accuforce. They didn't have a similar ecosystem.
I'm curious because I run an Accuforce V2. I love that wheel and I'm not looking to change it up anytime soon but I would love to hear how you think the Fanatec compares in feel. The rims are neat but I am mostly curious about how the base feels in comparison.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years