A simple fix to make the Halo better

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
Williams and Sauber.jpg
The Halo might be a hated addition for F1 in 2018, but there is a very simple way to turn one of its criticisms into something that the Halo does better than no Halo would.

Despite being implemented to remove the causes of recent high-profile fatalities in Single Seater racing, the Halo has been criticised for looking awful, making it harder for drivers to extricate themselves from their cars and making it harder to see the drivers, and identify them. But, can the Halo be used to make identifying the drivers better? Of course it can.

The teams have been forced to make the numbers larger and visible on the cars, and the T-Cams are different colours (barely), but the Halo obscures the drivers helmet, meaning even teams like McLaren, which has two drivers with different helmet colours, is hard to tell apart.

So why don't we paint the Halos different colours on each car?

Before the season, there was concept art going around showing Halos designed to look like a driver's individual helmet, therefore making identification very obvious. This works at a team like Ferrari, where the drivers paint them differently, but teams such as Red Bull, which share around 75% of the helmet the same colour, this wouldn't work.

Therefore, F1 needs to implement a rule that forces teams to paint the Halos on their two cars a different colour. There needs to be no regulation saying which colour they must be, but most teams will go for something that blends in with the rest of the livery. Shown below is an example of this I made, done with the Mercedes team.

01HamiltonSilver.jpg
01BottasBlue.jpg

Hamilton drives with a silver Halo, while Bottas has a Petronas blue one.

Once you have learned which driver has which colour, identifying a driver when you see their car instantly becomes a lot easier. The halo is much bigger than the helmet and much more visible from the Grandstands, so is not as hard to see as a tiny yellow T-Cam.

Here's McLaren to show this off too.
09AlonsoBlue.jpg
09VandoorneOrange.jpg

By changing the colours of the Halo in this way, it removes one of the problems it causes for fans of driver identification. In fact, it will do it far better than we had in the last few years without the Halo. The Halo gets a lot of unjustified hate, so any way to use it positively while it hasn't yet proved itself to people will do everyone a load of good.

This brings me back to the first picture in this article. Williams and Sauber have both got very similar white and red liveries, that especially from the front, look very similar. With a little coordination, the Halo can be used as an extra method to differentiate the two. With Williams using a Blue and Grey Halo, and Sauber using White and Red, they are more distinguishable apart from each other.

The Halo is here to stay until something better can be designed. It looks bad, but aesthetics is not an excuse for removing a life-saving device. It has had no effect on the racing this year, and the sooner teams and rule makers to solve the minor complaints shouted with loud voices from the fans, the better. This is one solution that would make the Halo a more positive addition.

But anyway, here's some more photos of the rest of the grid with coloured Halos.
02VettelWhite.jpg
02RaikkonenRed.jpg
03RicciardoBlue.jpg
03VerstappenRed.jpg
gVqJEAM.jpg
CmYeCgz.jpg
Jx8Q1dT.jpg
hvFxOqr.jpg
AV9mkYj.jpg
GVH0tbd.jpg
vVIylRT.jpg
08MagnussenRed.jpg

What do you think about this idea? How else would you like the drivers to be distinguished on track? How else can we make the Halo look better, while retaining it's life-saving design and purpose? Comment below...

Last edited:
I have decided if I can't say anything nice about F1 then I won't say anything.... except I have not a single positive thing to say about F1 in any way, shape or form.
So the positive is, nice work with photoshop.:thumbsup:

I didn't realize the TCam was hard to see, with one of them being fluorescent green on front and back. What bothers me, though, is the in-car camera like we see on TV. There's no identifying marks on the halo or anywhere else to tell us which car it is.

The only obvious answer I have seen (and perhaps it is more wide-spread than I know of), is that Haas has the driver's name stenciled on the back side of the Halo for the TV camera.

rq9RxNl3RX1HqJpXyeU2hzoVZNolYkeS3IdZwPHOaDk.png

Personally, I don't really like the idea of mandating this. If a team were to want to do this, don't stop them but don't require the teams to do this.

That being said, if we have to have the HALO it can just be the same for both drivers. The petronas green on Bottas' Mercedes in the picture does look quite good though...

Not a bad idea, but I personally don't think it should be mandated.

I have made peace with the halo myself, but I do think some of the teams need to rethink their paint schemes. For example, Ferrari painting theirs solid red to match the car, presumably with the intent to make the halo less conspicuous. To my eyes, I actually think it makes it worse - in the mock ups above, I think the halo painted white gives a much nicer/cleaner visual effect (which I would have not anticipated before seeing the pic).

Its a f**king great idea having the halos different colours as the cars usually have 2 main colours in the livery then just give each driver one of the liveries main colours on the halo , Ferrari Red and Black halos, Mclaren Blue and Orange, Renault Yellow and Black etc, it would definately make the drivers recognisable and not much cost involved, cant someone forward this on to the Formula 1 governing body before i go to watch the race at Silverstone.

This would have never gained any traction in the Bernie era. Cars MUST look exactly the same. Who cares about the fans! Well Bernie, I think it is a great idea although I think the colour selection should be left to people that won't go overboard. Can you imagine a Scottish tartan halo?

• Deleted member 99238

The best way to ensure safety is to remove drivers from cars and put AI in their place.
Soon...

NO HALO. Motorsport is motorsport for its attraction of the danger that come's with it. To many precautionary measurers turns F1 in to a softbal league. The heritage of motorsport will be questiond here.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back