RACE 07 Racing Club (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hya all

As a start lets kick some WTCC cars after the pause period. :)

Time: 19.00 GMT / 20.00 CET
Practise: 30 min
Qualy: 30 min
Race: 2*10 laps
Weather: Dry

Track: Istanbul
Cars: WTCC 06 and 07

Server name: RSC # RPMnet.org
Password: spa

Server 1 - RSC @ RPMnet.org #1
  1. Attila Domján - Chevy
  2. Gareth Hickling - Peugeot
  3. Pauliebhoy Harrigan - Seat Leon
  4. Gregory Degreef - BMW E90
  5. Mehmet Arikan - Seat
  6. Jerome Benard - Alfa Romeo
  7. Cristian Haba - BMW E90
  8. Christian Deparis - Seat 07
  9. Jens Hoeppner - BMW E90
  10. Patrick van Driel -Seat Leon
  11. James Yates - BMW E46
  12. Jari Vinnari - BMW E90
  13. Marcel Hulsbergen - Alfa 156
  14. Peter Böszörményi - Seat Leon
  15. Kent Karlén - Chevy 07
  16. darron miller - Peugeot
  17. Michael Herrmann - Alfa 156
  18. Nico Major - BMW E90
  19. Rami Kaukola - BMW E90
  20. Christopher Aponte - Seat LEon
  21. Simon Trendell - Peugeot
  22. big daddy Morpheus Lightning McQueen - car tbd
  23. Baron-Rouge[NO-B] - Seat Leon
  24. ingemar petersson Seat Leon
  25. Nevermind - Seat Leon
Server 2 - RSC @ RPMnet.org #2
  1. Driver
  2. Driver
  3. Driver
  4. Driver
  5. Driver
  6. Driver
  7. Driver
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
  25. Driver

Björn Thank u it will be appreciated, if possible i will be on TS usual time of racing 08:00gmt. if u can not make it i do understand, we can then try tuesday.
In this instance it might be that i do not have Track: Poznan as i dont see where it can be downloaded

I know I can't make this event but was curious about the track, because I never heard of it before. I also liked to give a FWD car a go, when I had some free time today. I see that Reggie often drives FWD touring cars and seems to be very quick, so I wonder how close my lap time would come to his... So here's a vid from my best lap (unfortunately lost a bit in the last corner) and my setup if you're curious.

Havnt tried any laps yet and don't no the track but hopefully will get a run later. :)

Sorry for the delay on replies, guys - had a rather busy weekend & now work's up again ;)

So let's see, what have we got:

• too-well-known content/content in general: I understand where you're coming from.. well, kinda :D I've only been into simracing for something like two years, so there's still a whole lot of content that is new to me - e.g. Poznan this week.
    However, even with the vast amount of tracks R07 and its addons do offer (especially once compared to today's DLC-induced base content), it gets repetitive after some time, sure thing - though I feel we're running quite an amount of tracks, stock and mod alike: hardly any track, apart from Nords, gets run more than twice a year?
    As far as cars are concerned, I can relate more - unfortunately however, many classes and cars do not really get much attention once they're put up as an event (Caterhams, FBMW, Camaro Cup, to name a few) - hence those weren't run that much in recent months.
    Instead, we focused (apart from the obvious TC/Mini action) on GTs, IFM, Radicals and the like - classes that do get at least some signups.
    This was one of the "sparks" igniting my mini-series idea, maybe we can get more people out for the seldom-raced cars once there's further motivation :)
  • lack of competition due to low signups: Yes. Just yes ;) This is indeed a problem, and especially so whenever we're running "exotic" cars.
    However, this is, in my opinion, mostly due to the sheer age of the game. Comparing our signup numbers with RD clubs running games of the same era, it's not looking that bad: rFactor runs similar signup numbers with two events a week, the GTR2 club is.. nonexistent.
    Technically, one could add GSCE, but I'd categorize that one somewhere it between "old-gen" and "next-gen" sims, given what they've achieved with the engine. Still, we do beat their sheer club numbers every now and then, as well ;)
    More/new mod content might attract more drivers, one of the reasons I'd see the "member requests" and maybe even the "mini series" formats as very open ones - i.e. all mods allowed. However, running mods, especially car mods, always keeps other drivers out/uninterested, as well, so that's something to keep in mind.
  • lack of competition regarding fights: Yup, some of us tend to not put up too much of a fight, but IMHO, that's something everyone has to decide for himself - personally, I usually do fight for positions, but sometimes, I too choose to not fight in order to gain a strategic advantage - e.g. DriverA is two positions behind me and running slightly faster. In this scenario I'll let DriverB, who's loads faster and closing in on me, as well, by in order to not lose valuable time to keep my position against DriverA. I'll also act the exact same way in a league. As you see, it's not necessary the lack of willingness to compete ;)
  • speaking of which - leagues: Well.. yeah. As I mentioned before, the last effort to run a R07 league other than Presto was far from successful. However, I can completely relate to the wish of participating in one and am, in fact doing just that over at RlyRR.
    That being said, the aforementioned last effort was initiated by members and no rules were changed prohibiting others to try, as well - so if you feel like you can get a league up, feel free to open up a topic, evaluate interest and hit us up with a rough draft of what you're planning.
    To quote one of the many discussions in the staff forum regarding the premium move: "You're helping to pay for the servers, so you should be able to use them" :)
  • driving aids: Well, personally, I've never driven with aids after leaving GRID and DIRT2 for the simracing world, so I can't relate too much. I also don't think there are too many users out there wishing for them to get enabled, although there are - obviously - some.
    So, much like the mod "freedom", I'd say this is another potential feature the "member request" events might take care of - wanna run with low aids? Alright, request issued, scheduled, and off we go (without spinning ;))!
  • mod management/tool: Since some of my bullet points above were mod-related, I'll chime in on this again - while I'd like to pursue the idea, that likely won't happen until end-march considering I'm currently running quite a workload at my actual job, with this year's CeBIT fair approaching. Stay tuned nontheless, as this might render mod events more accessible to more drivers :)
Once again, thanks for the input so far, keep it up :)

Björn Thank u it will be appreciated, if possible i will be on TS usual time of racing 08:00gmt. if u can not make it i do understand, we can then try tuesday.
In this instance it might be that i do not have Track: Poznan as i dont see where it can be downloaded
Sure thing, will be on TS :)
Poznan is, as far as I remember, included in the Retro Pack, so you may already want to install that one :)

One thing I think could spice up R07 life a little, is live streaming. Last night I watched a little of that RDHCP (btw, is that GTL that is used?) and it was amazing to watch.

That was one of the reason I decided to sign up as a commentator.
But before I did that, I had some plans, to put some commentary on a few races.
Just for for fun, but still.

Why I haven't done it yet, is due to my space on my hdds.
Atm, I'm running very low on it, but if there would big enough interest in it, I would simply make space for it. (it's kinda funny, one is 2 TB and one is 500 GB, and they both are almost full) Also, kinda afraid of pronouncing some names wrong.
Hearing your name, get butchered can't be fun, especially from a Swedish guy.
I know that I hate hearing other Swedish people speak English :laugh:

I also don't think there are too many users out there wishing for them to get enabled, although there are - obviously - some.
So, much like the mod "freedom", I'd say this is another potential feature the "member request" events might take care of - wanna run with low aids?
Once again, thanks for the input so far, keep it up :)

If they don't want to run with low aids because they are too good for that, what's the harm in leaving the option clickable for those that do? Just a thought.
I think I get the idea though. If you are using aids, get back to Grid, Dirt or some other arcade game. ;)

But before I did that, I had some plans, to put some commentary on a few races.
Just for for fun, but still.
Go for it! No problems with my name, I'd say :D

Also, I think I got some spare HDDs lying around, might check postage to sweden ;)

I think I get the idea though. If you are using aids, get back to Grid, Dirt or some other arcade game. ;)

Nah, never said that :) However, the issue we're seeing is that some of those who don't "need" them might still use them and it'll (partly) be the same game again - "left in the dust". I'm not too sure on how much the aids actually do, so we might just try it. Fancy a specific car/track combo? We do have to get the first of the member request events up anyway (if no alternative comes up) ;)

Yeah, Road America, GT Sport. Low aids to include low TC, Low ABS and low Stab. ;) 2 races, 2nd one reverse grid. Forced cockpit view only,

Any aliens found using the low aids are to be publically named, shamed and made fun of.

There you go. :)

I'm interested in an R07 Cup.For the first 12 races and that old Pointsystem and Rankinglist (10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1 & 1 Point for the fastest Lap).Every championship race, should start every 14 days (prefers a weekend day).And The championship let start in autumn use,because no one would participate in summer.

this is my proposal ! ;)

Firstly, I fully understand the need to ask for people who use the servers to help pay towards the servers. I'm in the same situation and even with only 30 or so regular drivers racing once a week, it can be hard to pay for without donations from the others; let alone on RD which runs multiple servers for multiple games every day of the week for what must easily be over 100 people.

And I'm perfectly happy to pay €20 for a year, even if I only race once a week, that's 50 races with a group of friendly and mostly clean drivers. Considering other forms of entertainment such as maybe paying for cable TV, which can easily be €50 per month, I think what RD offer is good value for my money. Obviously not everyone is going to have the same point of view, and that's a decision they have to weigh up. But I understand and support RD's decision to do what they feel they needed to.

For me, Race Department is where I come for my casual, laid-back racing. For sure I'm going to try my best in each race and fight for position. I'm not going to give up a place for a faster driver just because I know they're faster, I'll still make them earn it. And there are several naturally fast drivers who race in these Race07 races. The likes of Arron and Reggie and Matheus. And I'm fine with never beating them. They're faster than me, so thats how it should be. When I do race I need to concentrate on trying to beat the likes of Bjorn who I know I have similar pace to in some cars, and set my own targets,

But because I run and race in my own league that takes up a lot of my time, I can only drop into races every now and again. I try to make the WTCC/STCC races as I'm a fan of FWD touring cars and usually go well in them. I try to make the minis if I can but Friday's aren't always best for me. And if a week rolls around where I'm not keen on the cars or the track or both (Porto, for example, or Muscle Cars) I don't race at all, because I know I won't have fun, so I stay away.

Moving to a race a day will surely allow for more variety. I hope that at the expense it doesn't thin out the grids, because that would be bad. Most of the RD races I've raced in have around 10 cars, which I see as a bottom limit. Any less and there's less chance you'll have a close race with someone.

Using all of the cars available in the base game and the packs would be good. the radicals are a lot of fun, the caterhams are good when you get the hang of them, the WTCC extremes are mad, the GT's require some finesse, the FBMW's can be chucked around, all the touring cars are brilliant, the Minis are easily the car that most people should be completely able to handle.

I'm not against using mod cars or tracks either. If they've been converted from some other game, so what? it's not like the racing is for profit, it's not like they're being illegally hosted or being sold on. They've been made to be used, and some of them are so old, surely it's all a bit irrelevant now anyway. Is anyone really going to get angry? I'm sure you'll agree Bjorn that that NFS Shift conversion of Bathurst for example is bloomin' brilliant fun.

Maybe bringing in some short championships would be a good idea though. Keep grid numbers up for several weeks in a row. Say for instance, starting at the beginning of March, you say "the next 4 weeks of Mini Fridays will be a 4 week championship", and at the end of the 4 weeks add up the totals, maybe have a single week dropped result to make it fairer for people who couldn't make all 4 weeks. But at least you'd have a lot more consistency, and maybe something a little extra to race for.

Then the next 4 weeks you say "ok, now STCC Tuesdays will be the championship", and everyone has to stay using a single car for those 4 weeks, no swapping cars to suit different tracks. Of course at the beginning of each mini championship, list the 4 tracks to be used up front so we all know what to expect.

As for driving aids. I've only ever know them to make you slower. Spinning out of the corners? Apply the throttle more gently and ease off the steering. Locking up into braking zones? ease the brakes on earlier. A slow, sure and steady lap will be much faster than an erratic overdriven one. I'm plenty guilty of that.

tl;dr: erm, yeah, s'all good. carry on!

I first just want to say I am completely okay if we stay with the current scheme of of three races a week. When I renewed my premium for a full year, it had nothing to do with that being a requirement to race, I just wanted to donate because I fully support the awesome community here at RD.

When I saw this topic first posted, I began to gather my thoughts on the matter, and I have an idea as to what we should race each day.

Monday- Retro/Supercar/Whatever Day: This day would have no real pattern to it like the others, but it could range from stuff like the Camaro Cup, Radicals to Retro Minis or even the road cars that come with GTR Evo.

Tuesday- Touring Tuesday Car Day: WTCC (06' 07' 08' & 10'), next week STCC (08' & 10') and then a mod touring car the next week (This could be DTM, Super Touring, or BTCC to name a few).

Wednesday- GT Day: GT Club one week, GT Sport the next, GT Pro after that then a mod GT car the day afterwards (I know GT1 and GT3 mods exist out there).

Thursday- Formula Thursday: FBMW one week, Formula Master the next and then either F3000 or Formula Race Room (I care for neither, but I think the more variety the better). The fourth week would be mod week for this class (Champ Car, Formula One and GP2 are a few ideas)

Friday- Mini Friday: Keep this as it is, this is a great format we have at the moment.

Saturday (Every Other)- Enduro Saturduro: Run whatever car/track combination that would be fun for an 80 minute endurance race.

Obviously, some of these cars (GT Club, Minis, Retro Cool) are a tad slower than the others and not as fun on long tracks that would be good for touring cars or GT Pro cars, so I suggest running or shorter layout or a different track altogether for slower cars.

I don't think we need a mini league or series or anything of the sort. This is fun as it is. When it comes to drivers aids, I think we should allow them for those that want to use them. As ajokay points out, these do not make anyone faster, so I see no danger in letting people use them. If anything, this will help since some newcomers may be intimated by something like the GT Pro car.

Just my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em. I love sim racing and I love this community, so I will stick around no matter what happens :thumbsup:

Had another extra time and found the flow of the track really nice, so had to test the BMW. I'm slightly quicker with it than the Seaz and it's real fun to "play" with its tail and the curbs. Recorded my best lap live, unfortunately with a small sound delay (don't know why...).

Attachments

• R-E90-STCC2.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 253
Sign me up Dennis please. :thumbsup:
2e59cb5e-1655-4534-81cc-721b5de54e6c_zps7pxzeqt0.jpg

Whee, more input, and by two of those users whose feedback I'd still been waiting for :)

I hope that at the expense it doesn't thin out the grids
Our concern exactly - if this whole "7 days a week" thing doesn't work out, we'll gladly try to cut back on the events again, but for now this is the way RD will start off the premium-only mode :)
I'm not against using mod cars or tracks either. If they've been converted from some other game, so what? it's not like the racing is for profit, it's not like they're being illegally hosted or being sold on. They've been made to be used, and some of them are so old, surely it's all a bit irrelevant now anyway. Is anyone really going to get angry?
Personally, I tend to agree - however, with RD offering news from both real and virtual motorsports, as well, it's likely not too good of an idea to get Codies, SMS or any other studio too mad at you regarding review copies etc. ;)
I'm sure you'll agree Bjorn that that NFS Shift conversion of Bathurst for example is bloomin' brilliant fun.
Fully agreed ;) Also, I should put in some Adelaide laps.
Of course at the beginning of each mini championship, list the 4 tracks to be used up front so we all know what to expect.
Yup, announcing events will likely change in some way, as well - we've come to announce a week's races in advance, but with 7 races, I guess it would clutter up the forum too much, so I guess a "schedule topic" for the next few weeks that gets updated might be the way to go.

@Nelson Ullinskey - thanks for the suggestions, seems nice and not too far away from what we're - spoiler alert - likely going for for next week's Mon-Fri as of now.
As before, I'm not too sure about too much (car) mod content, but then again, there's still a bit of time left till the stock car content is cycled through. Speaking of which, WTCC Extreme might be one more class for the GT day? :)

As far as the mini series idea is concerned, it seems to be somewhat controversial, but from what I gather, the majority would kind of like it? Not too sure whether we can sort everything out to head-start it next week already, though :)

EDIT: oooooh, almost forgot - another change coming due to the premium move: There's now a public server hosted by RD in order to attract new members - no password, stock content, and it's packed already, so if you're looking for some quick action, there you go :)

Re the Public:
Our first race event began at 20:00 gmt today and as Bjorn said, it was full, and so was the second race! Third race is in quali right now.
Here's how it looked
Race_Steam2015-02-2315-12-41-118.jpg

Race_Steam2015-02-2315-12-46-178.jpg

Race_Steam2015-02-2315-32-08-160.jpg

Pretty typical stuff for Pub's but both races were fun, hehehe! I ended up out in both races with punctures that I got all by myself.

Maybe once in a while we could storm our own public and force a good couple of races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%