F1 2011 A question about tire strategy

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
In my experience generally yes but not always.
AI starting on same tyres as you will pit normally + or - 1 lap from the recommended strategy.
However not always. One or two AI have dropped a stop in certain races. Often its Massa for some reason. AI will sometimes (Bug) go too long on options.

if you have good pace...you shouldn't have to worry anyhow...esp against the computer...I usually try to stretch my tires one or 2 laps max more than i'm supposed to compared to the recommended strategy. Make sure when you pit to use the d-pad and select the compound you want to put on in the stop as well...I found if i was on primes and pitted late and was supposed to switch to options, the computer would put primes back on unless directed to switch. also figure out your pit delta time...say in brasil it takes a total of 25 seconds from pit road entrance, to complete the stop, and to come to pit exit and take over control of your car...you can use that to determine how big of a gap you need between the car in front or behind to pit and retain your running position, or possibly gain places (so in fact if u are abusing your tires, you can pit more times if you're getting a big enough gap)....in online races your pit strategy is extremely important to your results...as tire management (making them go as long as possible without losing too much time) and not losing time in the pits is most important. i know that in our last league race eric beat nic by about 3-1/2 seconds at the finish...they were almost even as far as pace...but eric pitted twice to nic's 3 stops.
I'm no expert...but this is the strategy I try to utilize...

if you have good pace...you shouldn't have to worry anyhow...esp against the computer...I usually try to stretch my tires one or 2 laps max more than i'm supposed to compared to the recommended strategy. Make sure when you pit to use the d-pad and select the compound you want to put on in the stop as well...I found if i was on primes and pitted late and was supposed to switch to options, the computer would put primes back on unless directed to switch. also figure out your pit delta time...say in brasil it takes a total of 25 seconds from pit road entrance, to complete the stop, and to come to pit exit and take over control of your car...you can use that to determine how big of a gap you need between the car in front or behind to pit and retain your running position, or possibly gain places (so in fact if u are abusing your tires, you can pit more times if you're getting a big enough gap)....in online races your pit strategy is extremely important to your results...as tire management (making them go as long as possible without losing too much time) and not losing time in the pits is most important. i know that in our last league race eric beat nic by about 3-1/2 seconds at the finish...they were almost even as far as pace...but eric pitted twice to nic's 3 stops.
I'm no expert...but this is the strategy I try to utilize...
Yeah its funny you should mention stretching your pit stops. I try to do that as well, one lap maybe two at the most. Usually when I set my pit strategy I go for option prime option as opposed to option option prime which is the default strategy. The way I figure, I want to be on a fresh set of options for the last few laps when I'm on low fuel. Especially if I've stretched out my previous stops. Now I can open it up w/o having to worry about tire deg.

What is also critical is a tactical awareness of what your rivals are doing.
With all due respect to Cody, you can't simply choose not to pit because you havent enough of a lead to rejoin where you want to rejoin. The advice also forgets that the guy behind you has to pit anyway so why do you need a pit stops lead? So the lead is not as critical as the in/out laps. Unless he is dropping a stop compared to you in which case you need to know your pace advantage on fresh options vs his worn primes.
What matters is track positions after all drivers have completed their stops, IE after all pit stops wash out.
In my view its more about defeating the guys that you are truly racing. In a grid of 16 thats probably on pace, 4 other guys.
So what are they doing? You should know from race director in first 60 sec of quali what their tyre strategy is.
If you have done your testing you then know what your optimum strategy is.
For example. My rivals went Option, Prime Option at Spa.
I countered with Prime Opt Opt. After running for 5 laps on mix 1, then 2 laps before they pitted for primes I went to mix 3, went like hell and when my pit stop came I rejoined on options and in front with only options left t use. Job done.
In essence by staying in contact on your slowest tyres and even saving fuel while they use their fastest tyres and then giving it everything when they are in the period about to pit, in pits and doing their slow outlaps on cold primes.

If you are on the same tyres then by pitting a lap or two earlier and using mix 3 in that critical phase you may again get an undercut whereas you could not pass on the track. You may also get clear air.

What is also critical is a tactical awareness of what your rivals are doing.
With all due respect to Cody, you can't simply choose not to pit because you havent enough of a lead to rejoin where you want to rejoin. The advice also forgets that the guy behind you has to pit anyway so why do you need a pit stops lead? So the lead is not as critical as the in/out laps. Unless he is dropping a stop compared to you in which case you need to know your pace advantage on fresh options vs his worn primes.
What matters is track positions after all drivers have completed their stops, IE after all pit stops wash out.
In my view its more about defeating the guys that you are truly racing. In a grid of 16 thats probably on pace, 4 other guys.
So what are they doing? You should know from race director in first 60 sec of quali what their tyre strategy is.
If you have done your testing you then know what your optimum strategy is.
For example. My rivals went Option, Prime Option at Spa.
I countered with Prime Opt Opt. After running for 5 laps on mix 1, then 2 laps before they pitted for primes I went to mix 3, went like hell and when my pit stop came I rejoined on options and in front with only options left t use. Job done.
In essence by staying in contact on your slowest tyres and even saving fuel while they use their fastest tyres and then giving it everything when they are in the period about to pit, in pits and doing their slow outlaps on cold primes.

If you are on the same tyres then by pitting a lap or two earlier and using mix 3 in that critical phase you may again get an undercut whereas you could not pass on the track. You may also get clear air.
I completely agree with you...I was just offering how I go about my strategy...I'm sure there is no right or wrong way to pit...just whatever works for each person.

I completely agree with you...I was just offering how I go about my strategy...I'm sure there is no right or wrong way to pit...just whatever works for each person.
Yeah, cheers Cody, I do find the strategy side very interesting. My best results have come from strategy rather than pure pace. I like that. Slow driver clear thinker!!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back