A question about storage

G-Slev

Rubbish Racer & Amateur Motorsport Photographer
Premium
I currently have two SATA SSD drives, each with 500gb. One contains my windows installation and steam game files, the other contains all my RF2 and AC content.

I also have a 2tb HDD which I use as an overflow for my steam games, as well as a 3tb drive that contains my lightroom images.

I am thinking of buying a 1tb NVME drive as I am running out of space on the SSDs - principally because of the steam installation.

What do you feel is my best option with this setup? To put windows on the NVME as a fresh installation and then spread the steam files across the three SSDs? Or to leave my current installation on the Sata SSD and put the steam files on the NVME and one of the sata SSDs?

I am principally concerned about ensuring I retain my RF2 and AC content, as well as my settings for ACC, R3E, AMS2 and the other sims I use - is there an easy way to back all of that up?

Ta in advance.

I prefer keeping Windows on separate partitions from data and programs.
For example, that facilitates fresh installs of major Windows updates,
rather than often more tedious and problematic updates over current versions.
I have 3 bootable Windows (8.1, current 10 and beta 10) partitions on a single drive.
Backing up can be fairly easy with good software;
selectively restoring only what is necessary e.g. to recover a single damaged game is tricky.
GameSave Manager is an app dedicated to that challenge.

Upvote 0
Like Blekenbleu suggested, a separate partition for Windows is nice, but you can have other things on the drive.

Also, have you considered cloud storage instead of buying a drive? You could save everything online and always have it backed up, have access from anywhere, and have your data in a second location in case of disaster, etc. pretty cheap now. You can set auto backups of your system in case of virus or whatnot. It is a good option for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've found that a small Nvme, 128-256gb, for Windows and drivers only is a good way to go. If you have to do a re-install it's only windows and a few drivers, takes an hour, without the hassle of having to restore everything else that shares c:. Then go with a mix of sata ssd's and spinney disks for games/bulk storage.

Upvote 0
Like Blekenbleu suggested, a separate partition for Windows is nice, but you can have other things on the drive.

Also, have you considered cloud storage instead of buying a drive? You could save everything online and always have it backed up, have access from anywhere, and have your data in a second location in case of disaster, etc. pretty cheap now. You can set auto backups of your system in case of virus or whatnot. It is a good option for a lot of people.
Cloud storage is not viable without a high speed internet connection. I live in a rural area, my only option is DSL at 6Mbps.
I hope Starlink expands their beta program to my area soon.

Upvote 0
I live in a rural area, my only option is DSL at 6Mbps.
I am also reluctant to depend on cloud for restoring.
FWIW, I backup using bare SATA drives and a USB dock
41h2wAeo9AL._SY90_.jpg

... storing backup drives, not in use, in a fire safe
51W7Nyf3WNL._SX90_.jpg

Upvote 0
If you have to do a re-install it's only windows and a few drivers, takes an hour, without the hassle of having to restore everything else that shares c:.

But then you have to reinstall many (most?) of your games and other software which will have missing entries in the Windows registry. As a consequence, you don't really save anything by having Windows on its own drive or in its own partition. The old argument about having Windows separate really only applied to hard drive installations where it was useful to avoid fragmentation of files - SSDs don't have that problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most of games nowadays don't write anything to the registry. I have made some tests: install a game in D:, copy the game folder and paste it in another computer and it works. Maybe in some cases you may loose your progress, your game configuration or your savegames. For that you have to find where the game places its files in C: and copy/paste that too.

Upvote 0
Tbh it's been a couple of years since the last re-install but i'm pretty sure i just logged in to Steam (on d: drive) and it sorted itself out. Can't speak for other software as this machine is pretty much only for gaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most of games nowadays don't write anything to the registry.

Almost all of my add-ons and peripherals do. It's more efficient to just keep a decent backup of the drive and restore it if there's a problem. I use Macrium Reflect and keep the last 4 weekly backups so I can revert to an older version if necessary. No need to worry about reinstallation or configuration/setup problems.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.6%
  • < 5 years