A positive thought about... fanatec

About six months ago my CSWv2 started emitting a familiar and rather foul odor after just a few minutes of being powered on. That potent smell was cooked electronics. I had just returned from a trip and I have two young kids who love to play with my things. So when I turned the wheel on I wasn't sure whether they decided to participate in a 24 hours of Lemans race without my consent or if it was just my awful luck. My pedals (CSWv2) were also having a problem, with the gas pedal specifically. I decided it was time to contact fanatec support. Two separate emails and 24 hours later fanatec diagnosed and offered solutions to both problems. The good thing was my warranty was expired so it wasn't a surprise when it came time to ask "how much?". The pedal issue cost a whopping $12 for parts and 5 minutes of my time in labor. I enjoy fixing electronics, always have. I'm one of those weirdos who thinks taking things apart and breaking them is what you'd call an exciting Saturday! There was a short in the wiring that connects the hall sensor to the pcb. The magnetic pickup needed to be cleaned as well. So after replacing the entire $12 hall sensor I was good to go.

I'll keep the wheel base story short and to the point. I sent fanatec the wheel and after inspection the quote turned out to be less than what was previously given. Good news again! They replaced the motor, belt and assembly and both fans. Labor was $35. Parts $135. But all the parts used are CSW V2.5 parts. Very nice!

The biggest 'surprise' to me was the turn around time. I got the quote at 3:00am, paid at 9:00am and my base was shipped before 3:00pm the same day.

FedEx dropped my base off today two days early and it feels great! I had forgotten how much better it feels compared to the G27 that I was using until I got this one back from repair.

I've heard not so good things about fanatec support. Repairs taking weeks or months, but that was not my experience. In fact it rates with some of the best support I've received from any company. So bravo fanatec! Now if I could just find a limited edition black and gold F1 wheel somewhere I'd be all set! Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

My experience with Fanatec has been good too. Needed warranty on my pedals, couple of email exchanges later I had new parts sent to me. It's unfortunate that the minority with problems have the loudest voices. I expect at least of them will be here having a bashing session soon.

Upvote 0
A big thumbs up for this post! I try to voice my positive Fanatec perspective in threads that are bashing sessions but often those comments get buried. I am a self proclaimed Fanatec fanboy because... well... because everything I've owned by them has worked flawlessly (v2.5 base, Formula 1, Porsche and McLaren wheels, universal hub, CSL Elite pedals, shifter and handbrake). This doesn't mean i will buy nothing but Fanatec hardware (probably getting a set of Heusinkfelds this year) but i find their products to be well worth their prices.

Upvote 0
Well, I still adjust the pedal range on my Clubsport v1 every time I fire up a racing game. Not impressed. Also, who's first missing on any kind of USB hickup? I have 6+ USB game controllers on this PC. The one Fanatec item that is who is.

Upvote 0
I have nothing but satisfaction from my Fanatec gear and the customer service I've received from the guys too.
Bought a second hand Porsche GT2 wheel on eBay. Failed after 3 months, they sent a replacement sensor for free, still didn't work, item was under warranty so they honoured it and sent me a brand new replacement. I've not had top service like this from anywhere.

So, yes, I'm also a bit of a Fanatec Fan Boy too, (FFB), but that is due to a decent product and exceptional customer service.

Needless to say when I upgraded wheel and pedals they were also Fanatec. CSW V1 and CSR Elites which were purchased years ago and still going strong today.

Upvote 0
Yeah, they have their flaws but they seem to be aware of common problems and they provide solution quite fast all over the world. It happened to me on a brand new csl elite ps4 wheel, calibration problem, within a week I got a new sensor shipped home, (somewhere in South America). So they are definitely worth buying not only for the quality but also support is very good.

Upvote 0
Making me happy reading this thread as I've just invested in a Clubsport 2.5 base to go with the new F1 rim that I bought from someone on here. Good experience so far as delivery was very quick.

As for the hardware it's amazing, and a massive upgrade in quality, strength and feel from my T500.
I've just set it up today and had time for a little bit of testing....
I'm genuinely shocked how good it feels... It's so smooth... Can't see why I'd need a direct drive after this!
:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Making me happy reading this thread as I've just invested in a Clubsport 2.5 base to go with the new F1 rim that I bought from someone on here. Good experience so far as delivery was very quick.

As for the hardware it's amazing, and a massive upgrade in quality, strength and feel from my T500.
I've just set it up today and had time for a little bit of testing....
I'm genuinely shocked how good it feels... It's so smooth... Can't see why I'd need a direct drive after this!
:D:D:D
And unfortunately for me, I tried the V2.5 at a Virtual GT3 tournament on RRE so I know the upgrade from a V1 to V2.5 is massive too...

One day...

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 237 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 165 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%