A New Central Assetto Corsa Modding Discussion Forum

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AC modding Forum Closes.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have released a statement informing the sim racing community of the imminent closure of some areas of their popular modding forum on the official Assetto Corsa forum.

Always a favourite location for modders to discuss and upload the latest and greatest community created content for Assetto Corsa, news of the forum closure will be a major blow to many fans of the sim.

With the normal discussion threads remaining open as usual, community members are now looking for a new home to discuss the many aspects of mod creation for the Italian racing simulator. Citing continual drain of developer resources to ensure forum compliance rules, Kunos have taken the decision to remove access to that particular portion of the site while focusing on more pressing issues with the game.

As many players are already aware RaceDepartment have a popular Assetto Corsa forum, where many individuals meet to discuss the game and access our sizable downloads library. As well as aiming to bring you all the latest news regarding the game and offering a safe and enjoyable club racing scene, RaceDepartment are delighted to inform you of our new "Modding Corner" sub forum for all your modding discussion needs! We at RaceDeparment are aware of the void created by the fallout from Kunos latest announcement and have created our own discussion area, a place to meet and share, discuss and ask questions about the world of modding in Assetto Corsa. As RaceDepartment look to further support the great work of our community modders with upcoming content in the form of our focus interviews with some high profile modders and our new regular mod roundup articles, we have taken this step in an effort to aid and grown the outstanding community mod scene.

Please see below the full Kunos announcement:

"The main purposes of the Assetto Corsa official support forum are helping users to solve issues with the game and give them the proper way to report bugs or suggestions to the developers. Thanks to the big success of Assetto Corsa, many users joined here, even just to talk about the game. Day after day, the forum turned in a community and we opened a new “Chit-Chat” room in order to have a place where to discuss about Assetto Corsa and other games, sometimes closing an eye on the off topics.

The big step happened with the creation of the modding section. Nowadays it is a place where to discuss about creating contents and apps for Assetto Corsa. We love the creativity and high quality achieved by some modders. However, the same section was targeted by some users that, careless of our rules and ethics, advertise contents ripped from other copyrighted software, making conversion without any authorization by the original creator and basically without any respect towards those modders that make their work from scratch. This has led to interminable discussions on the subforums resulting in a huge loss of time for the devs, moderators and those users that are very active in our community.

Due of this state of things, we as Kunos Simulazioni decided to close indefinitely the “3d Models”, “Tracks” and “Liveries” subforums of the modding section. We are sorry about that, but at the same time we know that there are many well known communities out there where modders can continue to share their work, while we can focus better on real issues. We see the modding section as a place where to discuss about “HOW TO modding” and not a download section, it is not its purpose.

That said, releasing a track, car or liveries is no more possible on our forum. Users can discuss about cars, tracks and everything else modding related in the general modding subforum. Links to external sites of which there is even just the suspicion of “not legit content” will be removed without any warning and proper measures will be taken. We will be very strict about this."

Looking for a new home to discuss and upload your creations? Interested in becoming a part of the sim racing community here on RaceDepartment? Pop over to our RaceDepartment Assetto Corsa forum and contribute in our new Modding Discussion Forum, browse our downloads section, engage with our vibrant community and have a go with one of the many user created car setups we have available to download right now.

RaceDepartment have a popular a club and league racing programme for Assetto Corsa players. Take a look at the Assetto Corsa Racing Club and Leagues for details of upcoming events and leagues here on RD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has word of this new "home" for the AC modding community found its way to the official forums yet? I assume it has, just curious.

I'm hoping this brings more premium members to the RD community since the official AC forums already have a lot of people scheduling races with one another.

I totally understand their decision. It's very hard to tell sometimes which mods are legal and which aren't. Are RD up to the task?

There are a good few mods on RD for download that didn't feature in AC's forums. I wonder why. ACU Bathurst? ACU Melbourne? Who built these? Why aren't they proudly on a forum somewhere saying 'I built this'?

Thanks RD and good luck.

Is this pretty much a case of We can't be bothered with you anymore as our focus is elsewhere Cough consoles cough.
That was a joke right? Or you missed the reason why it happened which is posted in this thread? Legal stuff. With console coming that forum gets even more eyes on it from companies with a lot of money that can wear Kunos down to its knees. Not something we want happening.

And we are here now! Business as usual. No more need for crying. We got taken care of by the friendly guys here. And Kunos support forum is 1 click away when we need the devs regarding info on modding. Hardly a physical move around the world, or to another planet, is it? :D

Would there be anyway of getting some sub forums introduced. As I think this would lure the moders to come and use RD for all there goodies
It works ok now by clicking the kind of tag you want to see. Click tracks and you only see tracks. I know we are used to separate sections but this seems to work. Plus the forum is already 3 steps in so yet another step seems a bit much.

I like the tags approach.

But I'm not sure if the mods forum generally could be rearranged.

Ie, once in Assetto Corsa Mods section, you should have a bunch of sub-sections at the top where Assetto Corsa Modding Discussion currently is.

So tracks, cars, sounds etc.

Then maybe a Releases sub-section with tags which would essentially hold what is in the root of Assetto Corsa Mods right now, and what that thread essentially is.

Just my 2p of course and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to change anything without a consensus between a great deal of the modders actually using this forum resource :D

yes please, it is not the same a thread to discus ramdom issues about a car/track/skin that the thread of your WIP project, at the end we will have a lot of threads in the same place, too much info in my humble opinion.

I belive the sticky threads are very helpfull like tutorials and share threads, you need diferent subforums to keep it organized... please, please. :rolleyes:

by the way... I also like the tags system, but I think is not enought to keep it clean and organized.

• Deleted member 130869

Considering the changes RD had to make to accommodate the ramifications of this whole ordeal, whatever we have now is enough.

I know many of you are used to the way the official forums did things, but for obvious reasons we won't restructure our forums just to copy the way they did things. We have our way and it works perfectly fine :)

Just give yourselves some time to learn and adapt, and pretty soon you'll see that our system offers everything and more than the official forums: Reviews, discussions, update logs, category filtering, speedy downloads and much much more all in the one place :)

That was a joke right? Or you missed the reason why it happened which is posted in this thread? Legal stuff. With console coming that forum gets even more eyes on it from companies with a lot of money that can wear Kunos down to its knees. Not something we want happening.

And we are here now! Business as usual. No more need for crying. We got taken care of by the friendly guys here. And Kunos support forum is 1 click away when we need the devs regarding info on modding. Hardly a physical move around the world, or to another planet, is it? :D

Didnt read anything about Legality . Just that they can't be bothered to employ a moderator. Ho hum.

Yep this forum is better in lots of ways.

It's just weird using a forum which is 'modern' and uses more metadata to allow you to frame your view, rather than the old style hierarchical folder type structure.
I'm surprised the filters are at the bottom in a drop-down panel and not open at the top. Is that something I can customise?

Not that I'm averse to such things, just that not many forums have gone that way still.

A bit OT, but I remember Windows 2K or around then having basic support for meta-data and a 'flat' storage system for files.
Really it does make oodles of sense... a shame it's not really ever been properly supported. I did try implement it once on Vista but then in Win7 I think some meta-data support was removed again?!
Or maybe the other way around... I can't remember but I'd started adding meta data to oodles of multimedia files at work and in the end the people who had problems searching for them in a hierarchical folder structure couldn't actually search using meta-data from their OS. Hmmm.

Dave

Last edited:
After writte my reply I realize that you have to do a lot of changes to "copy" the AC forums.... I don't want you to make a copy of... I belive that method is better, that's why I want the subforums in here.... but there is no problem, I try to acomodate to that way. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back