A Modern BTCC Game: Will We Ever See it, Do We Want One?

Yeah, Codemasters made ToCA Touring Car Championship as their first modern racing title. ToCA 2 Touring Cars was the sequel, both on Playstation and PC. ToCA World Touring Cars followed, only on the PlayStation (horribly renamed as Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing in the US). This featured made-up series, but worldwide tracks.

ToCA Race Driver (aka Pro Race Driver/DTM Race Driver/V8 Supercar Race Driver) was next, on the PS2, Xbox and PC. As shown above, it had an abridged version of the BTCC in it. ToCA Race Driver 2 and 3 did away with the BTCC, something to do with licensing.

Codemasters did have exclusive rights to the BTCC, I don't know if it's lapsed. I think part of the problem was that even though they had the ToCA series name, I think there was something more complex involved in licensing that prevented them making a game, possibly they had to license the teams/cars separately or pay extra on top, I can't really remember, as they weren't really forthcoming with what went on.

I'd add to the list of possibles Forza Motorsport 7, and FM6 had several BTCC teams in the game. Likewise, if Codemasters wanted to refocus the GRID brand, they could always go back to their routes, assuming they could still license the series.

Yes. Yes times ten. Personally, I'd like to see the Sector3 chaps or ISI/397 doing it for R3E or rF2. (Biased, I don't have AMS but by the sound of it, it'd be in good hands.) With Ginettas too, HELL yes. Official licence, real cars, real skins, real tracks. Happy memories of TOCA too :) Some of the BTCC tracks are my personal favourites on the entire planet, and the racing in BTCC puts F1 to shame. If all else fails, and there is some weird devilry with the licence, Sector3, please, let us have the BTCC tracks! :)

If all else fails, and there is some weird devilry with the licence, Sector3, please, let us have the BTCC tracks

Couldn't agree with that sentence more! Donington, please for the love of god someone make a laserscanned official Donington! I've practically worn out the Assetto Corsa mod version by @Brun (which is beyond exceptional btw).

Actually thinking again, I wonder if the full licence for the whole support package would be up for grabs?

Just imagine:

BTCC
Ginetta Juniors
Ginetta G55's
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Clio Cup

Mama mia!

This will be awesome! I think S397 or Reiza should grab the licenses!
Both the games needs a boost, so why not? Diversity is the key to win, Reiza with AMS are a great example...so, maybe rF2 time now?
Also...dream with me...how many RD races we can have with a car roster like that?

Last edited:
I think any new racing Sims will always be welcome as long as it is represented correctly.

What interests me more is this :

"Now we know the team behind rFactor and rFactor 2 are working on a top secret racing game for a while now"

Where can i find more information on this?

Pretty sure theres a BTCC mod for AC out there somwhere? Would love to see a 'proper' btcc game though. If codies did pick it up they should definately do a 'modern' and 'classic' mode, with both supertourer and NGTC series available :D

Where can i find more information on this?

I don't know which game will be but they are looking for programmers:
"We are looking for a video game developer to join our team. Candidates should have a strong background in both C++ and full stack web development. Other responsibilities will include upkeep of remote servers, developing RESTful API's with Typescript/Node.js and maintaining eCommerce websites written in PHP.

Required Skills:
- Linux server administration.
- Front-end/back-end web development.
- Proficiency using relational databases.
- C++ programming.

Preferred Skills:
- Qt GUI development.
- Typescript development.
- Experience with Apache and Nginx configuration.
- Experience with virtual hosting environments (AWS, Joyent).
- Familiarity with IP suite protocols.
- Game development."

Source: Linkedin

I'd guess codies could do something similar with btcc cars as what they did with dirt rally. Also isn't reiza already offering something pretty close to this? Not btcc cars specifically but the copa marcas cars?

A modern BTCC, no thanks, but a Supertouring era BTCC game, oh YES , I want it sooo much :)

Now, if this license (modern or STW) would be accessible, I think most of the developers mentioned would have grabbed it already. ;)

Licensing is an interesting thing, Alan Gow who runs BTCC said on the Motorsport Magazine podcast last year that no one has approached them in years about making a BTCC game. Now it could be that no one has approached Alan specifically but he seemed a fan of TOCA and saddened when that partnership fell to the wayside because Octagon wanted to try their hand at making their own video game. But then again that was when Octagon bought the BTCC and tried to run it themselves, something they no longer do.

Now personally a BTCC game would be great, the jingoism in me wants STCC more though and that looks closer to happening with R3E's current track release schedule so... yay? BTCC would be good as well of course because some of the tracks they race on are gold.

BTCC would be nice to have (90s era or current) and thinking of complete series only Sector 3/Simbim offers something like whole series or how they call it "experiences".

yeah I know, it's taking too long, but it's gonna happen, I promise!
I just need to find a way to cut corners on the cockpit, because that's where I "lose" most of the time

supertourers.jpg

and above all else, to stay motivated. it's been too long with not much free time :(

Last edited:
90's era would be great. I used to own a Primera GT, and damn I miss that car, best I ever had :( Solid and rigid as a rock, although not especially fast. Tbh it's the tracks I'm most greedy for. I'd drive any old lawnmower on them :)

Piboso, this man deserves a push like nobody else. With such a license he'd probably finally get a few folks in the team. Update the gfx engine and there you go. A new player with a new physics engine.

The big boys would surely all do an awesome job. But buy the looks of it they have all hands full currently anyways. Getting just more and more and more is not gonna make any game better apart form the fact that 3 of them have allready announced to work on some projects and the fourth is probably aswell.

I still think Codemasters would be the ones to do it. Something about their more recent F1 and Dirt offerings makes me think they'd be perfect for a BTCC focused GRID game later on.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%