A mic set up for RD online races?

A slightly confusing title, but I wasn't sure how to explain it. Basically, I just wondered what other people's set ups are like because communicating via keyboard in TeamSpeak is frustrating. My dilemma is, I realise that there are a number of solutions. I could go for a gaming headset which would solve the problem completely but I'm not really keen on them. The main reason being, I like hearing the car through the TV, it gives a much better sound. Does anyone else feel the same way and just use a separate mic or is the only realistic solution a gaming headset?

Again, sorry for the confusing thread but I think the fact there is confusion, sums up my thoughts perfectly :D

Thanks

Right, I've done a bit of research, had a look at the P22s but remembered about these HyperX Clouds which I had my eye on around Christmas time. They've come down in price (£50) since there's a newer model out now (£75). Truth be told, my normal music headphones are broken (Sony XB500s literally taped together since I only use them at home) and have wanted new ones for a while so now is probably the time. These look like they work as both gaming (PC and PS4) and regular headphones since you can detach the mic and remote. They look about on par with the P22s but would you mind having a quick look just to see if anything stands out that the P22s have and these don't? Also, if anyone has these, should I go for the newer ones? I mean, I can never buy anything without heavy amounts of research so I'll keep looking this evening but any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Clou...G98/?tag=georiot-grd-21&ascsubtag=bestheadset

Upvote 0
Right, I've done a bit of research, had a look at the P22s but remembered about these HyperX Clouds which I had my eye on around Christmas time. They've come down in price (£50) since there's a newer model out now (£75). Truth be told, my normal music headphones are broken (Sony XB500s literally taped together since I only use them at home) and have wanted new ones for a while so now is probably the time. These look like they work as both gaming (PC and PS4) and regular headphones since you can detach the mic and remote. They look about on par with the P22s but would you mind having a quick look just to see if anything stands out that the P22s have and these don't? Also, if anyone has these, should I go for the newer ones? I mean, I can never buy anything without heavy amounts of research so I'll keep looking this evening but any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Clou...G98/?tag=georiot-grd-21&ascsubtag=bestheadset
They look fine mate, my ones aren't available anymore but these are the specs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Headset-Tur...1433508627&sr=8-13&keywords=turtle+beach+px22

Upvote 0
No problem, also read some of the reviews on the Hyper X so you get an insight of any issues people have been having if any.

Right, spent the last hour looking at reviews, watching YouTube videos and comparisons etc and decided to go with it..a little more than I expected to spend when I started this thread but its definitely a wise investment and with the benefits of Amazon prime, it'll be here tomorrow ...appreciate the help, thanks again! :)

Upvote 0
There is a mod for teamspeak (in windows) that reduces the volume of whatever you're playing while PTT is pressed, or other people are talking, this means you can get whatever you like in order to communicate, restrictive headsets are no longer required people :)

I use a full 5.1 surround sound set up, and a Microsoft Live HD webcam as a microphone. This works flawlessly. I did have to make sure the mic wasn't close to a speaker, or in conflict with a speakers EM field, but it was as simple as moving it from place to place.

Upvote 0
There is a mod for teamspeak (in windows) that reduces the volume of whatever you're playing while PTT is pressed, or other people are talking, this means you can get whatever you like in order to communicate, restrictive headsets are no longer required people :)

I use a full 5.1 surround sound set up, and a Microsoft Live HD webcam as a microphone. This works flawlessly. I did have to make sure the mic wasn't close to a speaker, or in conflict with a speakers EM field, but it was as simple as moving it from place to place.

Thanks, that's good to know :)

Upvote 0
Right, spent the last hour looking at reviews, watching YouTube videos and comparisons etc and decided to go with it..a little more than I expected to spend when I started this thread but its definitely a wise investment and with the benefits of Amazon prime, it'll be here tomorrow ...appreciate the help, thanks again! :)

Hi mate,

How are you getting on with the headset? I too am looking at this (been a member for over a year but still too scared to race!
Cheers
Paul

Upvote 0
Hi mate,

How are you getting on with the headset? I too am looking at this (been a member for over a year but still too scared to race!
Cheers
Paul

Hey mate,

Yeah the headset is good..great even. Sound quality is great and they are properly comfortable (and that's saying something coming from the sony XB500's cushion-y goodness). The quality of them is incredible, honestly, the build, hell even the packaging is quality! :) Really satisfied with my purchase, the only issue being the mic gets in the way when I need a drink :p .

As for being scared to race, I was the same it took me two months to summon the courage to race. (Joined in march, first online race in late may) Course, I'm not new to racing games but I doubt you are either being a member of a niche sim racing site. But I've done 8 now. My advice would be come to one of the Tuesday clio cup races on PCARS, the racing is close and the cars are easy but at the same time, we all seem to make mistakes..put it this way, I'm typing this now because I just crashed out of WTCC race 1 on R3E :whistling:

Hope to see you out on track! :D

***Correction, I joined April 1st haha so a little under two months

Upvote 0
Cheers Jack,
I'll badger our lass to let me buy the headset.. just makes me nervous because i use a nice music recording set and dont want to downgrade the sound quality, but need the mic bit... anyway, thanks for the advice.. i'll give them a whirl..

Im due to have an extension started next month (getting me a big ass man cave!).. soon as its been built and im settled back in im going to hit the club race scene with a vengeance!
So.. watch this space.. coming to the rear of a grid near you soon(ish)..

Upvote 0
Cheers Jack,
I'll badger our lass to let me buy the headset.. just makes me nervous because i use a nice music recording set and dont want to downgrade the sound quality, but need the mic bit... anyway, thanks for the advice.. i'll give them a whirl..

Im due to have an extension started next month (getting me a big ass man cave!).. soon as its been built and im settled back in im going to hit the club race scene with a vengeance!
So.. watch this space.. coming to the rear of a grid near you soon(ish)..

Glad I could help :) I get the part about being nervous about them being a downgrade and compared to nice music recording equipment, it probably is (though that's just an assumption) that being said, I did check out other options when I got my ps4 a year ago and I found a 'ModMic' which basically converts normal headphones into gaming headphones with a mic..here's the link: http://www.modmic.com so might be worth a look. Not sure how much it is, or whether you can get them in the UK but I'm sure with a bit of research you'll find out :)

Upvote 0
Yipiee.. just taken the plunge and bought it... should be here Thursday (in time for WTCC 14 at Suzuka in RRE if anyone wants a race on Saturday 27th @ 7pm?? - here
Thanks again for your advice & support (sorry to hijack your thread :))

Upvote 0
Yipiee.. just taken the plunge and bought it... should be here Thursday (in time for WTCC 14 at Suzuka in RRE if anyone wants a race on Saturday 27th @ 7pm?? - here
Thanks again for your advice & support (sorry to hijack your thread :))

No problem, honestly :)

I think sometimes you just have to take the plunge :) Yeah Kjell's WTCC races are incredible, race 2 at Bathurst (the race after I crashed out ;) ) was one of the best experiences I've ever had racing! I'll be on Wednesday, can't make Saturday because cricket runs on till like 8.30 but never know, could get rained off ;)

Honestly mate, if the numbers are up, you're in for a cracker!

p.s hope you like the headset :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 85 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.3%