WIP a little time filler

ok so i know you guys dont like conversions, but this is something to fill in time, while i'm waiting for summer to finally hit us here downunder..('m a model builder and it's just too damned cold to paint anything outdoors at present)

there's still alot i dont understand about racer, i used the lambo car.ini and the view.ini as a base...

i'd love to get into converting a few tracks that i've got here, but there isnt alot of data on that, so i'll just do these for now...maybe once i get a bit more "schooled" on racer, then i may look at doing something more..but for right now these are just time fillers lol
both of these cars are from shift2 unleashed.

Attachments

• racer 2014-10-13 19-16-51-41.jpg
    racer 2014-10-13 19-16-51-41.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 441
  • racer 2014-10-13 19-18-10-50.jpg
    racer 2014-10-13 19-18-10-50.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 416
We don't all hate conversions ;) Just make sure you don't post links to any on RaceDepartment, tracciontrasera will host these for you though. :)

yep cool. there is still much i dont understand with racer, so i wont be releasing anything for a long time to come..

Haha, it's quite the learning experience, eh? lol

Was just looking on my hard drive and found a conversion that I started working on.. 5 years ago... I guess it'll be released roughly around 2025. Probably.. maybe. I'm still learning after all this time.

I've been running racer with stuff all the guys on this forum have made for years. Cracked me up when i started diving in to making stuff, found this place and there were so many familiar names!

I'm newb to making my own things here, wanted to share what i've learned from the know-nothing point of view.

For me, the console is absolutely the key. Especially for tweaking cars. The amount you can do through it is incredible. I think 'reload car' is my most used command. ; )

3dsimed3. Whoa. Amazing for tracks and cars. FBX export lets you keep original (long) texture names. Raw track assets can be converted to load up in tracked in minutes... Then build splines, positions and cameras. I think I did a whole track in 20 minutes the other day. To see textures in 3ds just run a script to swap map channels from 2 to 1. It's a two line script, I whipped up a scruffy one if anybody wants.

My current method is:

[3dsimed3-import] import track ->
[3dsimed3-tools] convert textures (tga) ->
[3dsimed3-export_plugins] export to fbx ->
[3ds] import fbx (double check scale)->
[3ds] export with the dof plugin ->
[tracked] import *.dof, grab the template track.shd from the dof exporter and go to town!

Pretty similar for cars, but you've got to do more prep in 3ds, lights, nullpoint, attaching everything into one object, blah, blah, blah. Make layers for everything: lights, shadow, steering_wheel, body_external and cockpit. Exporting and tweaking is much easier when you can just toggle elements via layer visibility. Fix object names so the dof exporter spits out everything just so.

I'm sure this is old news to most of you, but for anyone getting started i hope it helps!

There are loads of nice tracks out there without licensing issues, rfactor tracks seem to be the most straightforward to convert.

From scratch is the best, for sure. Much more rewarding and generally superior results. That said, conversions are great to see how other people approach things, and having things to play right away.

best, m

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 240 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years