A Leisurely Drive?

Sometimes I like to just take a virtual leisurely drive thru the countryside rather than race. (In fact, lately it's been most of the time.) What specific tracks and/or software would you recommend that would fit that bill? I already have AC's LA Canyons and PCH, but I'm looking for some more variety, I guess.

If it's software or a specific game that I don't already have, I'd like it to ideally meet these requirements:

1. Supports Wheel and Pedals (separate controllers).
2. Good graphics - the nicer the scenery, the better.
3. Supports cockpit view.
4. Free Roam mode with lots of roads included (or available for download) would be great.

Realistic FFB and physics isn't so important in this case. After all, this is supposed to be relaxing and leisurely.

So, what do you recommend, guys?

Thanks!

Bert

Last edited:
Thanks! - But I thought I've read that Forza doesn't support wheels and peds - just controllers? (I could be wrong though....)
From my own experience Forza Horizon 4 runs just fine with pedals and my wheel (Fanatec Wheelbase 2.5). The FFB is also quite alright.

Another game where you can just cruise around is GTA5. ☺️ Grab a car somewhere, switch on the radio and have a good time.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator might also suit your needs. Very relaxing sims. The FFB is a bit weak and undefined for my taste but that's not game breaking.

Thanks! - But I thought I've read that Forza doesn't support wheels and peds - just controllers? (I could be wrong though....)
Forza Horizon 3,4,5 are available for windows 10 and do have wheels and pedals support. Not great ffb though and questionable physics.
Rest of the game is very nice to play though if you like some "festival" feeling.
Horizon 4 is set in the UK, probably the most realistic regarding graphics.
Horizon 5 is very new and seems to have made a good jump forward regarding ffb and wheel support!

For AC: Union Island, Bella Vista, Glen Shiel, High Force, Shutoku Revival and many others. Search "Assetto Corsa Free Roam" in youtube and you'll get a lot of hits.

Been checking out FH5 this week, gotta say it's very well made and looks awesome.

I have played FH3-5 on a Logitech G29 with no issues, so I don't know where you got that impression.
Well, I don't know where I got that impression from either. LOL!

One last question about Forza 5 --- Does it support separate controllers? (I use a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer wheel and Fanatec pedals).

...and thanks to those who pointed out sources for the free-roam mods in AC too. Lots of good possibilities there.

Last edited:

One last question about Forza 5 --- Does it support separate controllers? (I use a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer wheel and Fanatec pedals).

...and thanks to those who pointed out sources for the free-roam mods in AC too. Lots of good possibilities there.
FH5 works just fine with multiple controllers. I initially had a few mapping problems but they were all fixed with the latest patch. I'm using wheel/pedals/shifter and handbrake all connected separately without issues. The controller support/force feedback is definitely a step up from FH4. The FF settings take a bit of dialling in but once you get there it's not bad at all.

The physics are also the best they've been - don't get me wrong it's still very much an over the top casual racer, but it feels great to drive and is very enjoyable to play. I still struggle with all the cheesy cringe BS that goes along with Horizon but FH5 has made good steps forward in all the right areas. It definitely fits all your criteria if you don't mind something that's not a sim. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. :)

and if u cant fix mapping issues.. just gram forza emuwheel if u using pc.. i use it to use a shifter in horizon 3.. and for some reason.. i have better ffb in horizon 3 and 4 with it.. and horizon 5 havent had to use it .. my wheel .. shifter.. and pedals are all seperate usb devices.. and it works perfect not a single issue..

• Deleted member 963434

BEAMNG.drive!
fit perfect and no mods needed, but there are Spa and nordschleife already available to it. physics imo better even than AC, tyres flex, bend, scrub surface and vibrates as doing so, i like to watch it in slow motion, it can even puncture frrom g forces what i experienced at first turn at nurburgring when i went too fast into downhill corner . there is best of all time crash physics using soft body deformation if you like to crash cars sometimes like fall from the clif.
but most important it fits all you ask it got big freeroam maps like west coast usa, east coast, italy map wit big airport. lots of roads there and recently there was big update to graphics , got 24 hour time, nice scenery big cliffs at nevada map and shiny big sun. got traffic lights and AI traffic with POLICE and you can run from cops when go at red light, but they sometimes head on collision at 100+ km/h xD
it got all you need check youtube videos.
my PC can make 6 AI cars the better CPU the more up to 100 (but its NASA computers i think) but 6 is good i dont even know when they spawn/despawn so you can speed up at highway and avoid traffic and run cops etc or just chill driving. sometimes i put on some music, drink beer smoke cigs and drive in west coast map and run cops when i go too fast and they start pursuit me.
has cocpit view, fov slider.
only minus is physics as better than AC overall its hard to drift not cause ffb but physicks leave too small room to catch slides. also ffb may be too realistic, it not doing much weight transfer but yo have slider 0-20% to make side forces, i prefer at 0% for realism feel on wheel.
another minus is there no licensed cars only fictional based on real, like recently added DODGE DEMON what a beast, but there are lot of mod real cars but sometimes they dont drive good

• Deleted member 963434

yo propably read it doesnt support DD wheels
only DD whel it "support" is fanatic DD1 or 2 but it just spring force and not even oversteer force i saw youtuber video
i played FH4 on t500rs and was very good and realistic feel but got DD wheel OSW and tryed it and fps capped at 25-30 fps and wheel sketchy and crazy i uninstalled game in rage

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 963434

I still struggle with all the cheesy cringe BS that goes along with Horizon :)
game should be rated 18+ for that shiiieeet also encourages 6yo kids to illegal racing on public roads

• Deleted member 963434

amount of trafic depend on CPu yo have or maybe RAM. i have 6 cars on ryzen 5 3500X, ram 16 gb ddr4 , fps i have capped at 60 and it runs smooth never drop below 60 fps (maybe when huge crash at 300+km/h and cars launch burning into space xD but never when normal drive
its default at AUTO but can override it to yo number and have less fps. i once set 100 cars and fps drop to 1 fps and my whole PC just freezed it took 2 min to open task manager another couple to force beamng to close xd so be carefull with that

• Deleted member 963434

Sometimes I still like to chill with Forza Horizon 4 after a harder session iRacing
i sometimes chill in pCARS2 setting road cars server at mugello , 10 hour practise to drive open track day in road cars

• Deleted member 963434

i beamng there also time trials you can choose highway time trial make 20 laps around highway, then got checpoints which tell you where to drive to stay only at highway, i make time trial at highway, press esc shortly after start an set AI traffic (no police) to have other cars and i try to run 20 laps avoiding traffic as fast as i can, never finished it tho..
there are some race tracks too at west coast, or only race track maps like hirochi , etk test track with skid pad and skid plate.
also mods of spa and nordschleife to download, there are even real gt3 cars to download.. just wait when official multiplayer come or racing AI and we have one of bestest racin simulator mixed with open world game.
fun fact those closed roads at west coast map not stay close forever, devs will soon expanse map. there was much more closed roads 2 years ago and map was lot smaller, they made roads closed but it will be roads to go soon.
there are castle in italy, high mountain narrow roads where to can fall off if not careful or speeding or escaping cops. game is biggest benchmark simulator. there are rally stages, rally time trials i mean and rally cars, race cars, road cars, drag cars, street tuned cars, drift cars, 3 wheeler cars, trucks, offroad cars, buses etc. there are even mods for tanks and planes which shoot bullets as physical objects in game that destroy other car (bullet penetration sadly is not implemented)

i sometimes chill in pCARS2 setting road cars server at mugello , 10 hour practise to drive open track day in road cars

Project Cars 2 is decent to chill. I like the California Highway and Azure Coast for testing out GT3 cars etc.

PC2 gets a lot of stick in legacy sim communities but in my opinion it is a step up from Forza in terms of realistic cars available and a step up from Assetto Corsa in terms of career mode and a feel good interface.

The problem with Assetto Corsa and Automobilista imo is the menu feels like it is running on Windows 97 and it had less original wheel / display support for my wheel and screen. So yeah, far from leisurely to operate imo.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back