A guide to make newbies aware of gentlemen rules in racing

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Hi guys,

I know its an idealistic idea of me, but i really am convinced that if we make a good guide people can be made aware of this situation and what problems it's causing in online play in public rooms.

I think a little bit of "wheelbanging" or touching each others mirrors is very good cause that's what racing is about and that will give you a very good feeling :D as long as it is fair!

The only problem with wheelbanging is that, on-line, the result of the touch can vary greatly depending on the Game, and especially on the relative pings and lag on the server. We have experienced some occasions where the slightest of touches can result on a major bounce (and horrible outcome for the one bounced). Sometimes heavy banging is fine. So some care and commonsense is needed to judge when wheelbanging is ok, but it is best to avoid it as much as possible when racing on-line.

Yeah I know what you mean I've eperienced it myself also in a few online races.. (Just started racing online srry:rolleyes:) So I think youre right and I need to change my oponion; try to avoid touching each other.
People who are attacking but aswel people that are attacked..

My only real peev with the people on public servers is is the way a driver will assume that because he can stick hi nose next to your door that he owns the corner and can keep you from apexing, toss you off your line or worse. You wouldn't so it with a real car, would you? It's not done on bikes.

Tapping the rear while braking seems a bit unavoidable in a sim car situation.

Well, when I get a blue flag, I know I will be a pain in the ass for the driver behind me. I know the feeling of getting in front, lead and run a bit away from the others, and then to be held up by a backmarker.
When I get a blue flag, for whatever reason, I mostly just lift my throttle a bit on longer straights to let him/her/them pass, because I know that I would have just a little to win, and not much to loose.

Worst situation for a leader when lapping, is when you must lap 2 drivers that are of the same speed. You want to get past, but mostly they are more in battle, because they both want to win from the situation. This sometimes results in wreckless driving, that will only be bad for that driver behind them that is faster.
I had this situation a few times, and one time it lasted for over 3 lps, with the driver behind me gaining on me very fast. After a few times of showing myself in the mirrors, and saying near them so they can see a blue flag, I noticed that they didn't really were going to let me through. This made me deside that I just had to try to overtake them like I do when gaining places. That is not the situation you want to be in. It ended up with one of them pushing me on the grass before a hairpin, I was braking full, but got one of the out of the race because I had no controle, and slided with a good amount of speed in the side of that guy.

That is why I think that, when you are going to be lapped, and you are in battle, you should both give way, and give eachother enough to keep the situation somewhat simular. This is something I consider real gentlemen-driving. But with the competition-instinct of a racedriver, this is something you won't see much. Someone just always want to gain profit from the situation.

Well its usually like this for most public sim racers. They never have competed in real motosport and therefore see no danger in contact.

The "real Physical consequences" simply do not exist so it's not even in the forefront of the brain regarding this situation. I mean even a 4 race penalty or a 4 month penalty IRL club racing make you realize that you WHOLE SEASON just got nuked because you were a dope is always on your mind.

Personally, I'd rather see who the good ones are public online and invite them to join RD and leave the clown out there in the mine field with magnetic shoes on!

then again, many times I talk to and realize the good ones ARE ALREADY RD MEMBERS! So we have fun shredding the goons and protect our great club image by beating em fair and square.

To be honest, I don't mind public racing in small doses. It's a different challenge and deffinetly helps me get better at reacting in un-expected situations. Too much in one go can get really annoying though.

Bumping this thread. Opened a STCC 2 server tonight to test some tracks for the RDTCC league and I was shocked by how some people are driving and behaving. Nobody is born fast but at least drive in a respectful way.

Hopefully they will read all the useful posts from the past displayed above!

Skidrows will never behave...
Skidrows shouldn't be on an RD server, and if they are, they need to behave. Else they will be kicked or banned.

I have to say that, due to some recent events, I was forced to look at some replay's from our servers. Not talking about all of them and everybody here, but there where a lot of incidents in which the gentlemen behavour is far to find...

Doesn't matter if you are not fast, or make a mistake from time to time. It's the way you act when it happens, that determines if you are a gentlemen driver or not.....

True, but unfortunatly, you can't always tell if its a legit version or not. Thats what I was referring to.

I do not approve them being present, but I fear it's not totally possible to eliminate their presence, since the crack is allowing them to compete online. I have no clue on how many of the RD members actually have a legit version. When I know someone has a non-legit version, I am pretty sure that his license will be revoked quite quickly, and a permaban will be the only reward for that :)

So the kicking an banning on the actual servers can only be done on driving behaviour.

Bram and Marco are certainly getting a glimps of racing etiquette the way its currently defined by RacesDepartment drivers actions. I agree, some of the drivers are too pushy when it comes to overtaking and at times it's very much like the first lap run on the public servers. I see more "barging thru" instead of passing. I don't like it because I t hink it's having an effect on me and I might unknowingly be going down that path.

True, but unfortunatly, you can't always tell if its a legit version or not. Thats what I was referring to.

Anyone called 'Skidrow' should be booted from RD servers as a matter of course. If you have a legit version then you don't need to use a crack, do you? Some may whine about Steam or whatever, but tough. I don't like it either, but it's part of the game. The majority of Skidrows are people that have downloaded the game illegally and should not have the privilege of coming anywhere near RaceDepartment servers. (Not to mention that RD should be seen to allow this kind of thing on their servers.)

I don't like it because I t hink it's having an effect on me and I might unknowingly be going down that path.[/COLOR]

Yeah, that's the problem. When people see others ignoring the rules and driving like idiots, it makes them think "well why should I bother then?". Before you know it everyone is driving like idiots and it's a demolition derby.

Anyone called 'Skidrow' should be booted from RD servers as a matter of course.
Sorry, did not know they where all with the same name. Drivers called skidrow are an obvious boot indeed.
Yeah, that's the problem. When people see others ignoring the rules and driving like idiots, it makes them think "well why should I bother then?". Before you know it everyone is driving like idiots and it's a demolition derby.
So true unfortunalty. Monkey see, monkey do. In the basics, we as humans do not vary much from animals.
Also, with people not following rules, having an honest fight is impossible. Try driving on a public server, track Curitiba with WTCC cars. 8 out of 10 just make a new corner out of the first set. A nice smooth line, over the sand and grass. Makes it almost impossible to keep up whilst driving over the asphalt. So it also takes the racing factor out of the game, and what is left if that's gone?

Sorry, did not know they where all with the same name. Drivers called skidrow are an obvious boot indeed.

So true unfortunalty. Monkey see, monkey do. In the basics, we as humans do not vary much from animals.
Also, with people not following rules, having an honest fight is impossible. Try driving on a public server, track Curitiba with WTCC cars. 8 out of 10 just make a new corner out of the first set. A nice smooth line, over the sand and grass. Makes it almost impossible to keep up whilst driving over the asphalt. So it also takes the racing factor out of the game, and what is left if that's gone?

Cutting in Race series is always a problem.. It all depends on a stupid corridor system that has to make compromises, you get cut warning easier with Mini than Koenigsegg.. Rule of thumb: the narrower the car, more strict the cutting rule becomes.. When you look at the line WTCC takes in Curitiba, they cut pretty much there. In Curitiba the corridor should be 1m stricter and don't get me started with Monza 1st corner which is way too buggyt... I've gotten S&G just avoiding a collision... The game engine has to trust on peoples own judgement and in public..

In publics unless you're in the top four, it's much better to take DQ in qualy which means breaking the rules deliberately by driving the wrong way in pits.. That way you are at the back of the back and often i'm in my real Qualy position in the end of 1st lap anyway, those who crash all the time won't survive long... When i'm in midpack, i'll go to the grass or otherwise go out of the way in the 1st turn voluntarily, there is ALWAYS one that brakes too late or not at all.. The race in the front is usually very good and fair no matter what server.. So it's a kind of hard thing for new kids to learn since they can't see that good racing, all they see is crashing, pushing, revengehits and so on.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back