A guide to Le Mans classic?

Hi, after years of enjoying the 1970 Le Mans race in rFactor with all the bells and whistles, and to some extent in Project Cars 2 with its dedicated DLC (which is visually stunning, but less historically accurate), I'm now committed to achieve the best possible classic Le Mans experience in Assetto Corsa.

First problem is you can't drive after 18:00 PM (i.e. at night) in stock Assetto Corsa, can you?

I keep reading I need to install Content Manager, SOL and CSP to achive such goals, but I've had problems with Content Manager in the past (in fact it made a mess of my AC install), so I'd prefer to avoid it if possible,

Even so, let's suppose I do install it. Will I be able to race past 18:00 inmediately? Will I have properly working headlights?

I'd much appreciate any advice on the steps I should take in this regard.
Thanks in advance, best regards.

I want to try and fill a 1970 grid too but I am way short so far! Also that starting list shows 57, I'm just curious what the other 2 are as you state 55 start?

I was wrong. If you closely examine that list and the associated ones for 1970, you'll discover that 57 cars were present in the qualifying sessions, but only 51 actually started the race.

All those cars can be found in AC but for one, the Ligier JS1, which doesn't exist at all in AC (that I know of). All the rest are available, mostly freeware and some payware.

Thanks to KrustyAAS, who has been doing a wonderful job these latter weeks creating all the missing skins, we do have now a virtually complete, accurate 1970 Le Mans grid of 50 cars. He has even created some of the skins which didn't make it to the start.

Thanks KrustyAAS, and my appreciation to all the other talented authors who had previously created some of the skins and all the required cars!!

Last edited:
A few Years ago I had made myself a private Mod with that exact Field of Le Mans 1970.That was in GTR2/Power and Glory- where we had all Cars- except that obscure Ligier- of course. One thing comes to my mind, though: some of the Cars we have in AC today are still the same Models! They were made for rFactor literally Decades ago and don't fit modern standards- I would rather try to build them myself (or wait till someone else does) than Download (or even worse, buy) some of those ancient Cars.;)
I would be all over a good scratch- made representation of the Grid in Assetto Corsa.
I sadly couldn't get all permissions from all involved and therefore never released my Mod. I'll look if I find some Screens somewhere...

Last edited:
I know some of the currently available Le Mans'70 cars in AC are below standards (specially the payware ones by Sim Dream), but having them all in AC to recreate the event has been a long time dream to me, since the times of the CSGT mod for rFactor
so I'm very happy with what we have now.

Moreover, I usually drive a 512s for the race, so I usually overtake them too fast to pay attention to their details ;)

Hehe yes here they are :D
It's your own choice, but I don't like to support shady modders that Rip Cars from other Sims/ Games.
I redid all the Skins with AO Layer, different Shading,usw... GTR2 was really good for 24h Races!
WSC70.png

Never used GTR2, so I can't tell. Any chances of converting your work to AC?
Sorry, but updating those Cars to modern standards wouldn't be worth the effort at all. I actually had the permission of the original CSGT Mod team (which seems to be something nobody cares about lately), but a convert to AC couldn't satisfy my own personal quality expectations.

Last edited:
Sorry, but updating those Cars to modern standards wouldn't be worth the effort at all. I actually had the permission of the original CSGT Mod team (which seems to be something nobody cares about lately), but a convert to AC couldn't satisfy my own personal quality expectations.
I understand your position.
However, thanks to different authors (wholeheartedly thanks!!), I've got now 50 of the 51 cars and skins which started the 1970 Le Mans 24h, i.e. an almost historically perfect grid.
That's the kind of things that interest me about Assetto Corsa, and even if among those 50 there are some which may be certainly considered below current standards, of course I prefer having those to not having any.

It's nice to see others fascinated with Vintage Endurance Racing, too, that's propably my favourite form of Motorsport. It will take some Time, but eventually I might have the courage to show my humble efforts in 3D- Modeling:cautious:

Hi there,

I'm running a 1970 project to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Le Mans film.

I'm racing all the championship in half distance / time.

Now I'm prepping the 12 Hoursof Le Mans, thebiggest event. I have almost all cars except the Ligier and the rightspecs/liveries for the Corvettes and Porsches 911. I do have both cars but the Corvette is the ACL made torace in the US categories and the 901 with some liveries.

I also don't have the right layout for the track, I'm using the 1967 version without the chicane, but would be awesome to have the right one. I saw someone above saying that the 1985 version have an option to run 1970 layout but the mod I have doesn't show me this option.

I'm trying to be as realistic as I can, even did myself some liveries, and I'm reproducing the full grid, with all the real pilots, modding the track when it doesn't have enough grid/pit slots. I also reproduce the weather conditions day and time.

Would be nice if someone could help in pointing me how to fiind the missing cars and track layout.

... and if someone became interested I'm streaming in Twitch live and have instagram profile where I post about the practices, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I like to run a 24 lap version of the 1970 race with 1 lap synced to 1 hour. Only 36 cars on the 60s Le Mans layout because of the limit on pitboxes but still great fun. I need to put a bit more work in on getting it even more accurate but the draw of getting behind the wheel gets in the way.
This is a replay with lots of exterior shots sliced in of a 6 lap race sped up to the full 24 hours (to keep it down to 20 mins in length) with the historic 24hrs of weather set in Sol so a very tricky night trying to keep it on the road.
I drive in VR for extra immersion so a really fun and demanding experience especially when doing the longer 24 lap races.

Last edited:
FYI: On GTplanet there seems to be some activities in creating an 1970 LM track layout. While for the LM’67 track, on the same GTplanet forum you can also download the classic LM startline, only without the running drivers, if the link is still being hosted.
Thanks I'll check it out. I believe the 1970 race was the first without the drivers running to their cars though but starting in them already buckled up for safety.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%