PC2 A Frustrating Experience: The Project CARS 2 Review

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Review 4.jpg

RaceDepartment take the new Project CARS 2 game for a spin and share our experiences.

Now I have to say something in advance of writing this review, I want Project CARS 2 to be good. I really, really do. Sim racing is my passion, and to have another big player on the scene vying for my game time is a very exciting prospect, and something which I found myself getting increasingly excited about on the run up to release last month.

Frankly I was sceptical after being bitterly disappointed by the original Project CARS game, so it came as something of a surprise when I gradually found myself being reeled in by the relentless marketing push for the new title throughout the build up to a public release, especially all the noise the developers were making about how the game would push the boundaries of realism and "redefine the genre of sim racing". These are all things that grab my attention, massively.

On face value many of the boxes one would like to see ticked prior to getting out on track have a resounding big fat happy smiley face next to them - loads of cars? Check. Loads of tracks? Check. VR support? Check. Dynamic weather and time of day? Check. These things are all good. These things give the game a massive leg up over the competition before a wheel has even been turned. Unfortunately turning said wheel is when things start to go a little bit wrong for Project CARS 2, and that is where the disappointment and frustration start to creep in to the experience, massively.

Project CARS 2 Review 2.jpg

Now I'm no technical expert but I've been around a while, and mixing together my own experiences and using the help of our community and my good friend Mr. Google, after literally hours of tinkering and a download of the epic Jack Spade tweaker file later I managed to get a pretty decent setup going through my wheel (Fanatec CSW V2). This is a massive improvement over the original title, however you still have to work to damn hard to get under the skin of the game to find something half reasonable in the force feedback, which frankly is a shame and unnecessary. Why after all the discussion and criticism from the community levelled at the developers following the original PCARS release do we still have to download a community made file to get the FFB half decent is beyond me, and something that SMS should really consider as a bit of an own goal once all the initial fuss has died down following game release.

Now don't get me wrong, I still don't think I'm fully in the sweet spot for the force feedback despite my trials and tribulations getting things setup, and the rear of the car still feels too vague for me to confidently begin to push past the outer edge of performance, but in comparison to the original release the overall experience is much better and doesn't kill off the game before it even starts. Not at the level of the other sim racing titles out on the market today, but definitely a decent base from which to build upon.

Project CARS 2 Review 5.jpg

So lets break down our impressions into a few key areas of the title:

UI - Vastly improved over the cluster of mess that was Project CARS. Looks neat, professional and functional. I find flicking through to the different menus easy and straight forward, but still keeping that stylish Project CARS feel and vibe. For me this is one of the most impressive improvements over the original game, and possibly the best UI of any of the sim racing titles currently available. Nice background music too and the bits of Ben Collins speaking about Senna are a nice touch, although these could maybe get a bit tiresome after a few hours of continual play.

Weather - Visually very impressive and aquaplaning is a thoroughly enjoyable extra dimension. Perhaps more grip than I would expect as my track experiences suggest more throttle steer and better modulation of the loud pedal out of corners would be needed than is currently simulated, however overall despite the limitations in some areas weather in PC2 is an area where the game stands out above its rivals. Some gripes I do have with it are when you get to the randomisation element of this feature, as basically selecting random weather means over 90% of the time you can expect some level of wetness, which is a shame as I would have liked to see more variety in the mix, such as dry running for a number of sessions then maybe a shower at the end of the race or something. Having tested almost 20 race weekends with random weather, I've had rain or snow during at least one session on every occasion...

Project CARS 2 Review.jpg

Speaking of snow, lets be honest now, this is a gimmick and one that any serious sim racer will rarely use in a race setting. Strangely this cannot be removed from the weather randomiser, so you could get seriously annoyed when it pops up in a race weekend and spoils all the fun. This really does need to be addressed, as who wants to race GT3's at Brands Hatch in the snow anyway?

AI - A total and utter disaster. Period. How in the name of all that is sacred did this get past QA I will never know. The AI is simply awful. First corner crashes, no awareness and ridiculously slow wet driving are all regular occurrences that continually pop up to hurt the soul. One evening I endeavoured to do a race weekend at the Nurburgring in a Lamborghini GT3, a car and track combination I hadn't yet tried. At 105% difficulty with a default setup and no fuel removed I finished my 15 minute practice in P23, 1.6 seconds off the pace. This was good, I had some more pace to give in the limited time I had on track, but that is exactly where I wanted to be and I was a happy boy. Maybe another 3 tenths could've been won if I didn't keep crossing up in the chicane, but that was fine. Come my 10 minute qualifying and hey, random weather so time for rain. Ran two laps, put it on pole by 1.6 seconds. Parked it, remained on pole. Hmm.

Race day comes around and the rain has progressed to a thunderstorm (random weather rain strikes again). Get a good launch off the rolling start and by lap 3 I have 45 seconds of lead, without even pushing the car at all. ESC and back to menu. Little grey X button in the top right hand corner, shut down PC, walk away and mash a cup of tea. Not impressed. Sadly this is the case every time some rain falls, and let us be honest, I'm no Michael Schumacher in the rain. Something is wrong, very wrong indeed.

Project CARS 2 Review 5.jpg

Car selection - Excellent. Some really nice cars and a lovely mix of the old and new are included, giving pretty much everyone the opportunity to have a go in something they might enjoy. All the big brands are present, so Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes or whatever takes your fancy can be fired up and raced around the many tracks in the game. A nice nod towards official series such as IndyCar are also welcomed, however the lack of real drivers despite the series licence and liveries grinds a bit, and kinda spoils it for me. Regardless of that little bugbear, you can't really fault the choice of cars in game, and all seem to be of solid quality and look wonderful from inside the cockpit using VR. Very happy.

Tracks - Again plenty to choose from, however for me the quality varies massively between different circuit selections. Some of them are just downright bad, both the visuals and accuracy, leaving a bit of a hit and miss feel to the whole game and giving one the impression that quite a few have been thrown in just to bump up the numbers, rather than striving to match the quality level expected of a game of this level.

Quality variances aside, it is nice to see that all the different weather options can be used on all the circuits, and that the game doesn't artificially limit what cars can be used on which circuit. Red Bull Ring in snow driving a WRX? No worries, the option is open for you to try. IndyCar at Knockhill? Go for it. Quite a cool thing to see and something I'm pleased about, if only for the novelty value of trying out weird combinations you would never see in real life.

Summary - Now I started writing this review very soon after the game released (about a week or so after) and I've parked it until now, half finished, as I wanted to give a bit of space for the developers to patch up some things and get it firing on all cylinders. We've had two patches so far, and still the AI is a joke. Wet weather is pointless against the computer opponents, and the dry weather awareness of where I am relative to the opposition is still poor. Not PCARS 1 bad, but for me at least still not close to the big hitters in the sim racing world. Over a month from launch day, I would expect this to be rectified and frankly I'm shocked it hasn't been addressed yet, making it very hard for me to want to invest any serious time in the sim. Assetto Corsa took a long time to get offline right, but that wasn't too much of a pain as the online stability was pretty rock solid, and more importantly the actual experience of driving the car was first rate, making hot lapping and just simply enjoying the driving experience of the different cars a pleasure, sadly for me at least PCARS 2 doesn't give the same level of driving thrill, it just feels canned and not really an "organic" driving experience. Open up your mind a little and AC or rF2 etc can feel like driving the real thing, PCARS 2 feels like a game. In my experience at least..

Moving to the online portion of the title is where my experience very dramatically drops off, as the events I've ventured into have all pretty much ended in various levels of frustration and disaster. Netcode has been poor at best, with plenty of lagging and cars floating or spawning at random all over the place. I suspect this has been improved since my last try, but frankly I've not got enough inclination to fire it up and have another bash, so this element of the sim will have to wait a while until further updates are released to entice me back to the game again.

Project CARS 2 Review 3.jpg

Now I'm aware that my opinions are probably going to be quite polarising in the community and probably come across a bit harsh, this isn't intended and saddens me to write them. I really, really, really wanted this to be good, and honestly the basics are in place for a very solid racing game. What has probably caused me the biggest disappointment is how I fell for the hype once again, having been promised something that would blow me away and having eventually just sat through what was eventually a light breeze. It feels like I've been promised the best Ferrari in the world, and eventually had a top of the range Fiat Punto delivered. Nothing wrong with the Punto, actually its a rather nice car, but when one expected a brand new 700bhp Ferrari on the drive and looking out over a nearly new Punto just fills you full of disappointment at what could of been.

Project CARS 2 claimed to be "redefining the genre of sim racing" prior to release, and having sunk plenty of hours into getting under the skin of the new title I can say one thing for sure: despite having quite a few compelling positives if you look hard enough at the game, if this is the new definition of sim racing then I'm not entirely sure I want to stick around for much longer.

Last edited:
No, simply don't hype it as "most beautiful, intense, authentic, and technically-advanced racing game on the planet" (Source: https://www.projectcarsgame.com/info.html) and then deliver something mediocre.
But it is more technically advanced than anything else but you're so blinkered and narrow minded that you'll never like it. You know, I'm glad all you people got refunds and I really hope that you never play it again.

Excellent, fair review even though I do like the game.

I hope they continue to work on the AI. It's really the only thing holding the game back for me, but it's a deal-breaker. Certain car/track combos work OK with the AI, others not so much. Right now, the AI simply cannot handle rain at all, which makes that aspect of the sim (for offline racers like me, anyway) somewhat superfluous.

It is fun to take all the various cars to the Nordschleife and try them out in various weather conditions, but what I really want is to race offline vs the AI - and I can't. ISR came to the same conclusion.

Let's just hope that SMS actually has the capability to do good AI. It seems like a consistent problem in their games, and in PC1 it never did get fixed.

One huge advantage of AC seems to be that users/modders can help improve the AI on various tracks on their own, without help from the developer. Many of the AC AI files hosted here on RD have helped transform tracks into awesome offline racing venues.

But it is more technically advanced than anything else but you're so blinkered and narrow minded that you'll never like it. You know, I'm glad all you people got refunds and I really hope that you never play it again.
You actually phsyically made me laugh, well done :D And I'm not talking about the "technically advanced bit". It may well be, it just doesn't translate to the driving/racing experience very well for me.

RD has gotten SJW's and snowflakes now who cant take one persons opinion? :cautious: I thought we were rugged, oily motor sports MEN over here. :p:D
No, we're (fan)boys playing with our toy wheels on our office desks in our underwear ;)

It's just constant pcars bashing and it just pisses me off.
Yeah I can sense that. It really shouldn't, though. If you like the game, good for you. Play it and have fun with it. I don't begrudge anybody their fun with pC2, but I do have my opinion of it and and will share it, even if nobody asks for it :D

Personal preferences aside, if a game gets criticized constantly (or bashed as you say), then that has a root cause. Maybe the fans of another title are jealous. Maybe the game is just not very good. AC was bashed relentlessly, mainly by the rF2 crowd until Kunos made it something worthwhile over the past 3-4 years, so much so that it managed to keep a steady playerbase according to Steamcharts. I can't say I have seen this kind of progress between the two pCars games. Then again, there was even less progress for rF2 in the same timespan, which it also receives its fair share of flak for at the moment.

I don't like Assetto Corsa but I'm not in their forum saying how shittt I think it is.
You should try that some time. The fanboys' reactions are priceless ;)

It's just constant pcars bashing and it just pisses me off. I don't like Assetto Corsa but I'm not in their forum saying how shittt I think it is.

But others are. It's just how it is when you have developers, company managers and similar who splits a community by various reaction. This then flows over to other games with more neutral devs, managers etc. Because you (as in a general "you", not you personal Jim), get in a situation where you "must" post negativity of other games than the one(s) you like.

Regardless, even after the whole legal action debate years ago (it's actually over 5 years ago now!) RD still posts all useful news on pCars and other game series', we have the occasional review, discussion threads etc.
We can't, and will not decide what kind of opinion users are, but as a whole, the staffies are extremely broad in what they like, not at least because most of us are staff for the games/series/style we like. This brings all kind of opinions in the discussions (and they can get heated, also in the staff forum).

Of course we have personal opinions, I still won't buy a SMS games after the whole thing 5 years ago, it was just compounded when I never got an answer of the questions I had regarding the investment scheme they had, and I tried a multitude of different ways to contact SMS as well about it.(Only thing that can change it, is proper RX)
I have pCars 1 in my Steam library, it was a gift from a friend. I have tried pCars 2, again, same friend have bought that as well. I tried it only for the RX, I really dream about a proper RX-game. It was way worse than the other games with RX atm, sadly.

Regardless, any official RD postings about pCars 2, will not be influenced by me, exactly for these reasons. I can have my personal ones, but they will not be in any RD OP's or official RD posts.

Damn, this got long and OT after a while.

Personally i dont like or agree with hyping a game up prior to release, tho SMS did launch a game with features that others titles dont have which is up to the user if they find important or not.

In all fairness.....in my 7 yrs of pc sim racing which ive bought all the current titles.

There hasnt been one that hasnt frustrated me, been bug free, finnished or polished at release so i am not sure why people expected this one to be any different......and why are some comparing it to titles that have been out for yrs and have recieved dozens of patches ?

The quality of games at release of late have been lackluster to say the least, as most are rushed to bring in money and released in beta state.

As a consumer we have 2 options.
Deal with it
Or
Dont buy or support titles till they start releasing the games in a better state.

Last edited:
Nice review, well written and justified in my view. We doubted and we were right to have concerns.

This title may of released prior to Halloween but it really always seemed it was gonna be trick or treat. So to the devs of Project Cars 2 and those who once again made bad decisions.

I've got something to tell you
Something you can't deny
I've taken all that you've given
I've had it up to my eye
Can't feel the hunger
Feel that you can't go on, now
Stand up and be counted
Don't push your luck too far
Stand up and be counted
Don't push your luck too far

:)

I'll get it but when it has had about 5 patches and is dirt cheap....
I'm confused. What does the attached video have to do with anything in this post? Am I missing something? Future school shooting?

It's just constant pcars bashing and it just pisses me off. I don't like Assetto Corsa but I'm not in their forum saying how shittt I think it is.

I really don't care how good or bad pCars 2 is, after my experience with pCars 1 and the way the studio handled the fallout SMS will never see one red cent of my $ ever again. You keep complaining about fan boys and yet you're doing the exact same thing. Why defend a product that is so massively short of what was promised? You would think that if they had taken only one lesson from pCars 1 it would be to not release the title until such critical issues were properly addressed.

Here's my take... I wanted it to be good too. I felt like the lessons they learned from the first Project Cars would flow over to the next one. Not really... many of the same problems that happened in the first one are still in this new title, and I'm really not sure why they keep making the same mistakes they tried so hard to fix in the first one. One thing is for sure they released a game on a Deadline, and it wasn't ready nor polished. But unlike many I hope and have faith they will fix the issues and this will become a great game. I just hope its sooner rather than later, as Motorsports is always evolving and pretty soon the NEW cars released in this game will have become obsolete and We're left playing with old technology, and inferior DLC releases that don't match up to the original release cars much like they did in PCars 1.

Last edited:
It's much improved over the original and a few of the cars are really very, very good. I certainly would not rule out coming back around to it someday (especially if I hear good things about patches), but after the new sim smell wore off, my interest level tapered off too.

If you were making me choose PC2 against Forza or GT, I would take PC2 every time. But, for me, PC2 head to head against AMS, AC, and R3E? It's a pretty uneven contest - I'm sticking the the sims in the latter group myself.

I will say that, like Paul, I started falling for the hype as the days started counting down to release day. They (SMS) really are good at the marketing side of things...I'm just not sure they are gonna produce the kind of sim I like to play.

First of all Paul my impressions on the review of Project Cars 2. Was more negative than positive. Like anything in life if you're looking for a fault, you'll find it. Is the glass half empty or half full. Not a good thing considering how long the game has been available to the public. I personally think the game has more going for it, than problems. But you made some interesting points which nobody can deny. Some people have some issues some people don't with the force feedback, which I would consider a question of taste like a car setup, suit your style. One thing about, what I would consider your personal point of view is your review being linked to the homepage. I hope when it comes to my review that I can have my review linked to the homepage. Not that it matters nor do I care, I just find it rather odd. After all it is just an opinion.

I have project cars 1, which I have played in the past for more than 100 hours or so. But stopped for the obvious reasons but overtime it got better, not much, but better IMO.

What I don't want to see from SMS is any DLCs before some of these major issues with Project Cars 2 resolved. I would consider that as a insult and I would drop the game like a hot rock. They did it with project cars 1 and I certainly won't tolerate it a second time. Fool me once, fool you, fool me twice, fool me.

I have not got Project Cars 2 as of yet as I've been waiting for unbiased, positive criticism reviews. Which are hard to find considering how long the game is been out. Far too much negativity at this stage. Which even now I would consider, even after Project Cars 1, unfair. They deserve to make amends over the coming weeks, yes weeks, if not sooner.

SMS have really got to work on their a reputation and gain the respect of SIM community, which has to be done quickly. Which isn't going to be easy considering project cars 1 and Project Cars 2 problems.
If they spent half the time they have on the content and instead ensuring the game was ready for release in the first place. I suspect none of these issues, well some of them wouldn't be a issues.
Like my missus says it's not the quantity it's the quality. So two or three times a year, I love her long time.:roflmao:

Anyway.
I will be buying the game sometime early next week when my new pedal set arrives and I will be judging it from myself.
I have played the game and I do believe it has great potential but I'll be certain of that once I own a copy of my own and gets more than 100 hours of playing time. But as the game stands at the moment I'm not so sure but I'm prepared to be patient one more time that's the least I can do at this stage. But I hope I'm not disappointed over the coming weeks.

Last edited:
PC2 has it's good and bad much like every title that is on the digital shelf today, and all of them have been bagged and canned at some time or another for there short comings, it's been going on for years and will continue on for many more, as long as the dev's produce these barely refined releases, and depend on us the community to tell them whats good and bad so they can fix it.

The days of dev's releasing Sims that are refined and tested to a reasonable degree to be 90% bug free out the box are long gone.
If we want to see those days again then we as a community must stop falling for the spin that the advertising dept come up with and stop buying alpha & beta releases. The big problem is they know we all want to own and race the perfect Sim, but the perfect sim is out of reach imo.

I have been bitten by the real racers bug, and my enthusiasm for PC racing has waned considerably, if you want to experience the same, go buy a go kart (I did) and/or take your car to a track day (I did), nothing compares with the real thing and imo no game, simcade or race emulation can simulate that experience no matter how refined they are, and no dev can replicate that or ever will.

My 2c

The AI needs work, mostly their speed on wet tracks and also on several other combos, even in the dry. Several combos offer good enough offline experiences, however. When it works, I find the AI on par with a couple of the other sims. FFB, I found it very good. The only two titles I feel give me better info through the wheel are rF2 and AMS. The handling and physics of the cars...many are excellent and the rest are good, but all offer detailed and nuanced (organic) characteristics/behaviours, which I struggle to feel in a few other titles, like AC. The weather and all that goes with it, loved it. Tracks, 'just alright' to very good ones. Graphics, sounds, performance, etc, range from above decent to excellent. I use/play all the sims and the only one getting now more of my play time, is rF2, tbh.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 306 13.0%