a few questions

1). my tires produce a lot of white smoke when braking. is there a way to reduce this?

(i know there are entries in the PLR file, but these don't seem to have any effect)

2). many self-made tracks have very grainy/flicker textures (especially trees and road surfaces). is there a way to improve this, without changing the whole texture?

3). as an example: i own the the ADR GT Masters mod. the AI drivers don't seem to be able to select rain tires at the start of a race. after the first lap everyone pits. what's wrong there and how can i fix this? do i have to reduce the tyr files to wet and dry entries?

1). my tires produce a lot of white smoke when braking. is there a way to reduce this?

(i know there are entries in the PLR file, but these don't seem to have any effect)
Tire heating can be reduced in .tyr file: Heating=(0.275, 0.00295) //heat produced from rolling, friction so a small reduction of the second number

2). many self-made tracks have very grainy/flicker textures (especially trees and road surfaces). is there a way to improve this, without changing the whole texture?
Often the best thing is to reduce mipmap negative bias of the materials. It is easy to think more negative bias = higher resolution = better looking, but mipmapping helps reduce texture flickering. The best setting depends on texture resolution and scale.
Sometimes it can also help to reduce the contrast of the white lines of the track, specially in lower mipmap levels of the textures.

3). as an example: i own the the ADR GT Masters mod. the AI drivers don't seem to be able to select rain tires at the start of a race. after the first lap everyone pits. what's wrong there and how can i fix this? do i have to reduce the tyr files to wet and dry entries?
It should (probably) be enough if the wet tyres are marked with WetWeather=1 in the .tyr file, but if that doesn't work you probably have to reduce the compounds to just slicks and wets.

• Deleted member 13397

1)
smoking when braking would mean blocking wheels
decrease brake pressuere or press less

Agree with AndreasFSC that track object and special trees should not have much negative bias.

While a lot bigger job I find fixing the Near Clip Plane in the individual cars *.cam file to have a huge effect
Typical cockpit settings
ClipPlanes=(0.1000000, 1500.000000)

I change that to between ClipPlanes=(0.2500000, 500.000000) and ClipPlanes=(0.3500000, 500.000000)

it does depend on FOV and seat position.
High FOV you need lower value on Near clip plane.
Those values are for FOV of 50-60% ~ 35-42 degrees.

The higher Near Clip plan and the low the far clip plane the less texture flicking you will see
Have every little to no flickering even on Brno in most cars.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%