a dead Motherboard, CPU or PSU? (or all of the above :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

I have something for you to help me with
These last days I have been monitoring the CPU temperature of my parents computer running to high for my liking. Temperatures of @ 65 degrees Celsius.
(note: it actually has been running with that temperature for more than a year now, but the pc does not work 24/7.....more an average of 3 hours per day max)

I found the problem: the cooler wasn't placed perfect and case fans weren't working properly, either way...
After I bought some new cooling paste and fix the problem, I went on to start the pc again and here I came with a new problem.
The pc does not want to boot. I don't get any input or signal on my monitor, no beeping sound and also keyboard and mouse does not get any signal at all when the pc starts. And last all the fans works at a really low speed.

For me it all points to a dying or a death mobo, because yesterday when I boot up the pc, the booting procedure got stock in bios (never reaching the windows booting logo). After a restart or 2 then it booted completely.

But just to be sure I want your guys opinion on this problem before I head off tomorrow buying a new mobo.

Things I already did (and came with the same results)
* check power cables
* boot with no usb cables plugged
* boot with no HD plugged
* boot with no dvd burner plugged
* boot even with no mouse & keyboard
* 15 sec CMOS clear

System Spec
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus EN7900GS
WD2500YS 250GB SATA
Corsair 2 * 1GB PC6400
Cooler Mater iGreen power 500W

(oh maybe a good thing to point out...don't know if it might be something to do with the problem I have
where I am right now is at Aruba. We have a weather here that is really bad for electronics. As in there is a high concentration of (hopefully this is the right word) saltpeter in the air, where corrosion happens fast)

It could very well be the Mobo, but it could also be the PSU playing up as they can cause all sorts of problems if they get faulty.

Maybe it's worth checking it with a PSU tester or try another PSU, always worth a try just in-case.

tnx for the info Damian

well tomorrow up to the local pc shop (which is not cheap :S), hopefully can get something from the US asap

I just remember I have an old pc with a less wattage in the PSU
but it might be worth testing the current PSU with the old pc....if it doesn't work, then I know it's the PSU...if it works then Mobo
hopefully that logic will work lol

update
it is a faulty PSU
tested the PSU on the old system, and it did not work. Also lucky me the Cooler Master iGreen power has a red led that lights up when there might be a problem with the PSU.....and so it did lit on.....
at least it is cheaper to get this.

uhm if not mistaken 1 or 2 year
but I do agree that i.m.o. it should have run longer, but seeing how salt air eats pc parts here, it should not be surprised that part go bust quicker.

I went to check for a psu here....not even 1 pc store has 1 psu around 500W :S (although 1 showed a bit promise with some parts arriving today....will go back later)

I finally solved my problem
it was not the PSU, it was not the freaking Mobo after I replaced it.
It was actually the CPU. Oh man so much money invested. Oh well on the other hand I would invest into a new motherboard if i wanted a new CPU in it

now I have a problem that I want to know how to solve it
Now everytime when it has loaded the windows and is busy loading the background programs, the pc goes into full restart.
It still has all the drivers and software from previous board installed as I could not get rid of them yet.

Anybody has an idea how to stop the continuous rebooting problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%