A couple of thoughts on AC - impressions / game development

H34d5h07

No money, no team racing.
Before I start, I just want to say, that I really like AC.
So please, don't make any personal insults towards me.

You are of course entitled to disagree with me.

Also, I apologize for my English. It's not my native language..

Okay, so here we go.
Right before AC went to 1.0, I were hyped. I sat in the front seat on the hype train.
And then 1.0 arrived, and I jumped right into the game, just to discover....
How it still felt like beta.

Let's start with the so called "career" mode. I don't know, maybe I had spent to much time in fantasy land, but I had hoped I could pick a car/team and then "pretend" to be a GT driver, and then just race for a "year" for this team. Similar to the F1 games, but with functions from GTR2/Race07.
You know, with pit crew/pit stops, day/night-cycle, pace/safety car. (for single player)
You know, with tools to actually feel like a (virtual) racer.

So my disappointment went through the roof when the career mode, were just a bunch of events.

On to another issue. This need to exit the game to get to options.
To me, this is incredible annoying, especially if you just wanna change sounds/keybindings.
This is something that should be available when I'm on track. GTR2/Race07 has this.
Why not AC?

Which also leads to my next issue.

I really like all the "apps, but the lack to re-bind these to certain keys is annoying.
When I race, I shouldn't been needing to use the mouse to do a couple of changes.
I use a G25, and in GTR2/Race07, you just press a key on the keyboard to do whatever you bound the key to do. Simple, and fast. But in AC it's a pain.

Firstly, trying to find the mouse pointer, and then enable/disable an app is difficult while racing.
I know there are some keybindings to a few apps, but they require you to press 2 keys to execute the action. But these pre-set (spelling?) keybindings is something I should be able to change to whatever I like.

I do like the interior sounds, but exterior sounds are a joke. They have no power to them at all.
I said, I like the interior sounds, I do, but they are still weak in my opinion.
Granted, I have never sat down in a GT car, but I watched the FIA GT1/Blancpain series, for years, and these cars are loud.
Anyway, it's not the end of the world, I just wished the sounds were more powerful.

When I race, I try to go for "realism" to get immersed as much as possible.
And by that I mean, Cockpit only, and no hud.
However, in a few cars (actually, I can only remember the BMW Z4 at moment) the shift indicator is too obscured by the wheel. To solve this, you need either to disable the wheel or lower the seat.
If I lower the seat, I can barley see the track. If I disable the wheel, I get confused, and also feel disconnected from the car. Maybe this is something you can learn to adapt to, but I like seeing the hands, and steering wheel when I race.
Especially if you race in the 458, where the shift indicator is located on the steering wheel.

Also, the lack of information when it comes to the dashboard/Gauge (not sure what the correct word is here). In some cars, you have no idea how much fuel you have. How many laps you have done, tyre pressure, and all that kind of stuff. All of sudden this yellow fuel indicator pops up, but I still really have no idea exactly how much fuel I have. it could be anything from 5, 7, 10?
I bet it also differs depending on the car.
As "modern" as AC is, I shouldn't be needing to download mods to get these features.

Anyway, I am not here to rant, but things like these actually hinders (no, put me off is a better word I think) me from playing the game. I keep comparing the game to GTR2, mostly because it feels more complete and has all kinds of championships and features, that AC has not.

Another issue I have is the lack of tracks and cars. Yeah, there tons of cars in the game, but why would I want to drive 5 slightly different Lotus cars or 4 slightly different BMWs?
(okay, maybe I exaggerated now) It's not the end of the world, and I know the problem lies within me.

When it comes to tracks, it's even worse. The amount is embarrassing low.
However, I'm still okay with that, I can always add more for myself.

But did you for example know, the finish line on Monza is wrong? As it is now, It's located almost at the pit entry. Which is wrong, the line is much closer to the pit exit.

How did this get past testing and made it to 1.0?

Okay, I'm gonna stop now. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the game so far.
I am still a AC fan, but right now I still have much more fun playing GTR2.

Maybe things that I have mentioned, will be fixed/added in the future.

Anyway, are there anyone who agrees/disagrees with me?

// EDIT

Post slightly altered. Removed the "complaints" I had about SPA, since I have learned something new about it. Can be found further down in this thread.

Last edited:
@Connor Caple

Ohh, I see. Looks like this wall can be removed. Strange, never seen it until now. I wonder why there is different exits for different events. Maybe has to do with safety or something?
On Spa there are actual two pit complexes, one parallel the start/finish straight and one up Eu Rouge. Both used during the Spa 24h in the Blancpain endurance series, the former for F1 events.

Last edited:
@Georg Siebert

Yeah, I know about the Eu Rouge exit. Actually, I knew about the other one as well, but I thought it were an "old" exit. I didn't know it were still in use for F1 events, since I have no interest in F1.
You learn something new everyday :D

Also I think AC is a great game with a huge potential.
But at this point we do not have a RC build, we have a Alpha build. The game needs to be heavily polished before release.
My concern at is point (despite some other bugs and improvements needed) is the massive stuttering/lag that started with 1.0.8 (at least to me) , with Vsync enabled is even worse.
My biggest concern is with sound, because I am not sure if Kunos will be able to fix this. Since FMOD the sound in AC is a big mess, not only in matters of sound effects, positioning, attenuation and quality but also some alot of weird stuff is happening like the echo that we hear when we are crossing finish line in Nurburgring sprint as if was there a tunnel.
Anyway I am trying different sounds with some cars and I am hoping, now that Kunos released sdk for fmod, someone is going to make a great sound mod, as has been said, the sounds inside car do not really have the power enough to add immersion.
AC is definitely one of my favorites.

Well since release of the 1.09rc, my sound has gone low and hardly useable. Terrible and I have deleted and re-installed too. Cannot play AC like this.

It does need work, but it's one game that'll be updated/improved way past release of 1.0; probably need to get it released pretty soon to get sim racers buying that dlc.
Small development team with good product worthy of support, imo.

I too wish there were more "official" tracks included (and hopefully this will happen as time progresses). We will be seeing more cars. I haven't even bothered with the "career" mode as it seems to be a joke. Regarding low sounds with the 1.09 release, I am not experiencing this. Perhaps it has something to do with the user's soundcard or speaker settings that no longer work with this update.

With the above said, I am enjoying the limited release immensely because it is the first racing sim that I have played where I can actually drive based on the feedback provided. And I am going back to the 1983 release of Chequered Flag on my ZX Spectrum. The only sim that stands out for me in between Chequered Flag and Assetto Corsa is Grand Prix Legends. Even with GPL I struggled to be consistent and being able to improve my times. AC is the first sim where I am able to improve and be consistent lap after lap. I can sense the changes of the car as the tires wear and the fuel load lessens. In other sims, these were not sensed through feedback. Onlne racing is once again enjoyable (even for this slower driver) due to the excellent "feel" of AC.

Give me more official tracks before cars..... pCARS will have AC trumped in both fields.

To be honest, I skipped on RFactor & iRacing, but have dabbled in most racing sim/games in between the 80's and now.

I hope they do more with the career mode, but they have said it is just a taste sofar and we will not see the full monty until they get pitstops done and have the ai able to use them.

We already see modders making their own series with full race sessions. And it not all that difficult for anyone to make a series with the cars and session layout of your choice using a text editor.

I am sure we will see more tracks but with them having to laser scan each track means they have to go there for a week or two get data etc then spend 2 or 3 months making the actual track. So i highly doubt we will have tons of official tracks even if they announce a new one every 3 4 months thats 3 to 4 tracks a year.

Sofar we have seen lots of new car license announcments but no new track info.

We have many modders that are doing amazing work however and now days with the talent and the data out there online and among the community scratch made and even converted tracks with enough work can be top notch.

We already have one modders car work included as official content.

I have no fear about content official or otherwise i have any number of mod tracks that i enjoy. Some of the mod cars are incredible in quality and attention to detail and things will get easier to do i assume as we go retail.

But did you for example know, the finish line on Monza is wrong? As it is now, It's located almost at the pit entry. Which is wrong, the line is much closer to the pit exit..

Wrong. Finish line is exactly right place. The line closer the pit exit is start line.
Those are separate lines, like many other tracks too.

Monza_track_map.svg

@Tomi Manninen

So every other game I have played, like GTR, GTR2, Race07, F1 2013 and rFactor and all races that I have watched like WTCC, FIA GT1 World and Blancpain Sprint / Endurance series has simply gotten it wrong then? I find that... Very strange to be honest.

I have never ever seen a race where they use the rear line as the finish line.
It has always been the same line as the start.
Perhaps the rules has been changed specifically for these events, but still.
Not a single race.

@Tomi Manninen

So every other game I have played, like GTR, GTR2, Race07, F1 2013 and rFactor and all races that I have watched like WTCC, FIA GT1 World and Blancpain Sprint / Endurance series has simply gotten it wrong then? I find that... Very strange to be honest.

I have never ever seen a race where they use the rear line as the finish line.
It has always been the same line as the start.
Perhaps the rules has been changed specifically for these events, but still.
Not a single race.
The rear line is the finish line/timing line.

Monza is one of the few tracks where the start line is ONLY used to start the race. The Finish line is used for all the timings, so the first lap of an F1 race there is actually a couple of hundred meters shorter than every following lap.

They do it that way so that the grid does not extend backwards into the Parabolica exit.

Before I start, I just want to say, that I really like AC.
So please, don't make any personal insults towards me.

You are of course entitled to disagree with me.

Also, I apologize for my English. It's not my native language..

Okay, so here we go.
Right before AC went to 1.0, I were hyped. I sat in the front seat on the hype train.
And then 1.0 arrived, and I jumped right into the game, just to discover....
How it still felt like beta.

Let's start with the so called "career" mode. I don't know, maybe I had spent to much time in fantasy land, but I had hoped I could pick a car/team and then "pretend" to be a GT driver, and then just race for a "year" for this team. Similar to the F1 games, but with functions from GTR2/Race07.
You know, with pit crew/pit stops, day/night-cycle, pace/safety car. (for single player)
You know, with tools to actually feel like a (virtual) racer.

So my disappointment went through the roof when the career mode, were just a bunch of events.

On to another issue. This need to exit the game to get to options.
To me, this is incredible annoying, especially if you just wanna change sounds/keybindings.
This is something that should be available when I'm on track. GTR2/Race07 has this.
Why not AC?

Which also leads to my next issue.

I really like all the "apps, but the lack to re-bind these to certain keys is annoying.
When I race, I shouldn't been needing to use the mouse to do a couple of changes.
I use a G25, and in GTR2/Race07, you just press a key on the keyboard to do whatever you bound the key to do. Simple, and fast. But in AC it's a pain.

Firstly, trying to find the mouse pointer, and then enable/disable an app is difficult while racing.
I know there are some keybindings to a few apps, but they require you to press 2 keys to execute the action. But these pre-set (spelling?) keybindings is something I should be able to change to whatever I like.

I do like the interior sounds, but exterior sounds are a joke. They have no power to them at all.
I said, I like the interior sounds, I do, but they are still weak in my opinion.
Granted, I have never sat down in a GT car, but I watched the FIA GT1/Blancpain series, for years, and these cars are loud.
Anyway, it's not the end of the world, I just wished the sounds were more powerful.

When I race, I try to go for "realism" to get immersed as much as possible.
And by that I mean, Cockpit only, and no hud.
However, in a few cars (actually, I can only remember the BMW Z4 at moment) the shift indicator is too obscured by the wheel. To solve this, you need either to disable the wheel or lower the seat.
If I lower the seat, I can barley see the track. If I disable the wheel, I get confused, and also feel disconnected from the car. Maybe this is something you can learn to adapt to, but I like seeing the hands, and steering wheel when I race.
Especially if you race in the 458, where the shift indicator is located on the steering wheel.

Also, the lack of information when it comes to the dashboard/Gauge (not sure what the correct word is here). In some cars, you have no idea how much fuel you have. How many laps you have done, tyre pressure, and all that kind of stuff. All of sudden this yellow fuel indicator pops up, but I still really have no idea exactly how much fuel I have. it could be anything from 5, 7, 10?
I bet it also differs depending on the car.
As "modern" as AC is, I shouldn't be needing to download mods to get these features.

Anyway, I am not here to rant, but things like these actually hinders (no, put me off is a better word I think) me from playing the game. I keep comparing the game to GTR2, mostly because it feels more complete and has all kinds of championships and features, that AC has not.

Another issue I have is the lack of tracks and cars. Yeah, there tons of cars in the game, but why would I want to drive 5 slightly different Lotus cars or 4 slightly different BMWs?
(okay, maybe I exaggerated now) It's not the end of the world, and I know the problem lies within me.

When it comes to tracks, it's even worse. The amount is embarrassing low.
However, I'm still okay with that, I can always add more for myself.

But did you for example know, the finish line on Monza is wrong? As it is now, It's located almost at the pit entry. Which is wrong, the line is much closer to the pit exit.

How did this get past testing and made it to 1.0?

Okay, I'm gonna stop now. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the game so far.
I am still a AC fan, but right now I still have much more fun playing GTR2.

Maybe things that I have mentioned, will be fixed/added in the future.

Anyway, are there anyone who agrees/disagrees with me?

// EDIT

Post slightly altered. Removed the "complaints" I had about SPA, since I have learned something new about it. Can be found further down in this thread.
I know exactly what you are saying.!.........and sadly I too want this sim to be 'oh so much better' :unsure:.
I appreciate that it is still 'work in progress' and that is why after each major update I load up AC and see what's what.
However, each time so far I just fail to 'gel' with the sim. I so much want this sim to be the best it has the potential to be; I just hope it doesn't get left behind with the improvements of RF2, GSC etc... and of course Pcars looming next year...(unless that gets delayed again a day before release.!??;))

@Daniel Linder

Look where they finish the race at 47:50

And By the way, those games you mentioned, they all have finish line exactly the same Place as AC have. According the YouTube videos I just watch.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you. I think some of it comes from the new model of early access. The issue is, in order to get the development money needed to develop a big game, they need early access. For those of us who get in on early access, we see all the bugs that stick around for what seems like forever, and on top of that we get bored with the content. When the game finally releases we're played out, or the hype isn't attained in our minds. Because we were involved so early we assume that there will be tons of features added by release, when in fact most times the early access features are mostly there, at least in skeleton form. For me, i think im going to stop getting involved in early access and just wait for games to be released, or at least very close to release...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 105 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.1%