A couple of thoughts on AC - impressions / game development

H34d5h07

No money, no team racing.
Before I start, I just want to say, that I really like AC.
So please, don't make any personal insults towards me.

You are of course entitled to disagree with me.

Also, I apologize for my English. It's not my native language..

Okay, so here we go.
Right before AC went to 1.0, I were hyped. I sat in the front seat on the hype train.
And then 1.0 arrived, and I jumped right into the game, just to discover....
How it still felt like beta.

Let's start with the so called "career" mode. I don't know, maybe I had spent to much time in fantasy land, but I had hoped I could pick a car/team and then "pretend" to be a GT driver, and then just race for a "year" for this team. Similar to the F1 games, but with functions from GTR2/Race07.
You know, with pit crew/pit stops, day/night-cycle, pace/safety car. (for single player)
You know, with tools to actually feel like a (virtual) racer.

So my disappointment went through the roof when the career mode, were just a bunch of events.

On to another issue. This need to exit the game to get to options.
To me, this is incredible annoying, especially if you just wanna change sounds/keybindings.
This is something that should be available when I'm on track. GTR2/Race07 has this.
Why not AC?

Which also leads to my next issue.

I really like all the "apps, but the lack to re-bind these to certain keys is annoying.
When I race, I shouldn't been needing to use the mouse to do a couple of changes.
I use a G25, and in GTR2/Race07, you just press a key on the keyboard to do whatever you bound the key to do. Simple, and fast. But in AC it's a pain.

Firstly, trying to find the mouse pointer, and then enable/disable an app is difficult while racing.
I know there are some keybindings to a few apps, but they require you to press 2 keys to execute the action. But these pre-set (spelling?) keybindings is something I should be able to change to whatever I like.

I do like the interior sounds, but exterior sounds are a joke. They have no power to them at all.
I said, I like the interior sounds, I do, but they are still weak in my opinion.
Granted, I have never sat down in a GT car, but I watched the FIA GT1/Blancpain series, for years, and these cars are loud.
Anyway, it's not the end of the world, I just wished the sounds were more powerful.

When I race, I try to go for "realism" to get immersed as much as possible.
And by that I mean, Cockpit only, and no hud.
However, in a few cars (actually, I can only remember the BMW Z4 at moment) the shift indicator is too obscured by the wheel. To solve this, you need either to disable the wheel or lower the seat.
If I lower the seat, I can barley see the track. If I disable the wheel, I get confused, and also feel disconnected from the car. Maybe this is something you can learn to adapt to, but I like seeing the hands, and steering wheel when I race.
Especially if you race in the 458, where the shift indicator is located on the steering wheel.

Also, the lack of information when it comes to the dashboard/Gauge (not sure what the correct word is here). In some cars, you have no idea how much fuel you have. How many laps you have done, tyre pressure, and all that kind of stuff. All of sudden this yellow fuel indicator pops up, but I still really have no idea exactly how much fuel I have. it could be anything from 5, 7, 10?
I bet it also differs depending on the car.
As "modern" as AC is, I shouldn't be needing to download mods to get these features.

Anyway, I am not here to rant, but things like these actually hinders (no, put me off is a better word I think) me from playing the game. I keep comparing the game to GTR2, mostly because it feels more complete and has all kinds of championships and features, that AC has not.

Another issue I have is the lack of tracks and cars. Yeah, there tons of cars in the game, but why would I want to drive 5 slightly different Lotus cars or 4 slightly different BMWs?
(okay, maybe I exaggerated now) It's not the end of the world, and I know the problem lies within me.

When it comes to tracks, it's even worse. The amount is embarrassing low.
However, I'm still okay with that, I can always add more for myself.

But did you for example know, the finish line on Monza is wrong? As it is now, It's located almost at the pit entry. Which is wrong, the line is much closer to the pit exit.

How did this get past testing and made it to 1.0?

Okay, I'm gonna stop now. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the game so far.
I am still a AC fan, but right now I still have much more fun playing GTR2.

Maybe things that I have mentioned, will be fixed/added in the future.

Anyway, are there anyone who agrees/disagrees with me?

// EDIT

Post slightly altered. Removed the "complaints" I had about SPA, since I have learned something new about it. Can be found further down in this thread.

Last edited:
I stopped beta-testing for some of the MMO studios because I had the same issue - when the game released I felt like I'd already done it all.

I don't get the same issue with Racing games because I rarely play the single player content. For me, it's all about Club Racing, whether PC or Console, that's what I've always done. The SP experience is pretty boring in most race games anyway and it makes you drive cars you don't like at some point, so why bother? :rolleyes:

I pursue games that give me Minis, WTCC/BTCC and occasional GT racing. I've never got the hang of open wheelers and F1 cars just go too fast for my old brain - every corner becomes a panic.

If someone did a 'realistic' career mode where you started off in Ginetta Juniors and worked your way up through Fiesta/Mini Club Racing to real BTCC/STCC and eventually WTCC cars, that would be fun, but they never implement that sort of thing. :p

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 193 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 378 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.7%