A bold claim...

indeed:

Attachments

• Modesty.jpg
    Modesty.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 386
If people are getting so excited over a few words then the marketing team are doing their job :) That blog entry six months ago really says it all. Its something that has amused me for years in racing and flight sim circles how everyone gets bent out of shape if someone refers to their 'hardcore simulation' as a game. The same thing goes when PC gamers deride console gamers. Simulation, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A game like Modern Warfare 2 'simulates' me firing a gun - to a degree. I can only imagine the wails from some corners of the iRacing community who take themselves far too seriously when Steve Myers made that blog entry. For me though iRacing is still the best online racing game right now and worth every penny I've paid for it which is why I like to frequent this forum to chat about it even if some only come to snipe.

You don't have to spend a whole lot of time with it to figure out the claim is true. When you look at the whole package, the physics, the graphics (they keep getting better and with everything max'd out, I have zero complaints) and, in my opinion, the most important thing, the governance with FIRST, it's a no-brainer. However, I realize that the haters are still going to hate.. Game? simulation? Who gives a flying leap. You can call it what you want, I'll continue to refer to it as the most enjoyable racing experience available, complete with increased heart rate, sweaty palms and a huge rush of adrenaline that takes 40 minutes to recover from, which, by the way, is not enough before the next race so you can do it all over again

All I am going to say is that they released the FW31 and I am in awe! I am spending season 4 just running laps in the open practice at the moment, so I can get used to the car, the options available to set it up, the differences these changes make to the way it handles and basically to just figure out how to extract the best I can from the car.

I've now run laps at Silverstone, Road America and Phillip Island. The grip is unbelievable, the sensory feedback mind blowing and the cheesy grin on my face (when I nail that lap) is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Game, Simulation. Po-ta-to, po-tar-to - it is (for me) money well spent and raises my expections of the genre each day.

NB - IMO, referring to the product as a game is probably about tapping into a bigger customer-base.

iracing is a game. It has no interactive cockpit, you can't stall the car and the tire model sucks. Netkar has the best and most realistic physics of any racing sim out there. iracing is just for rich kids and old guys with too much money. The iracing fan boys think the more money they spend means it must be better but that is not true. iracing is bad for the sim racing community because you dont' actually own the software you're just paying to use it. Iracing is nr2003 engine by the way.

First off, I can't see any reason why you'd have bad words to say about iRacing because of a conflict of interest. (Your "other" post over there was deleted I see)

Secondly, you don't technically own ANY game you have, they're all licensed to you
For example:
Rockstart EULA said:
Source

I. LICENSE

LICENSE. Subject to this Agreement and its terms and conditions, Licensor hereby grants you the nonexclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to use one copy of the Software for your personal non-commercial use for gameplay on a single computer or gaming unit, unless otherwise specified in the Software documentation. Your acquired rights are subject to your compliance with this Agreement. The term of your license under this Agreement shall commence on the date that you install or otherwise use the Software and ends on the earlier date of either your disposal of the Software or Licensor’s termination of this Agreement. Your license terminates immediately if you attempt to circumvent any technical protection measures used in connection with the Software. The Software is being licensed to you and you hereby acknowledge that no title or ownership in the Software is being transferred or assigned and this Agreement should not be construed as a sale of any rights in the Software. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are reserved by Licensor and, as applicable, its licensors.

OWNERSHIP. Licensor retains all right, title and interest to the Software, including, but not limited to, all copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, trade names, proprietary rights, patents, titles, computer codes, audiovisual effects, themes, characters, character names, stories, dialog, settings, artwork, sounds effects, musical works, and moral rights. The Software is protected by United States copyright and trademark law and applicable laws and treaties throughout the world. The Software may not be copied, reproduced or distributed in any manner or medium, in whole or in part, without prior written consent from Licensor. Any persons copying, reproducing or distributing all or any portion of the Software in any manner or medium, will be willfully violating the copyright laws and may be subject to civil and criminal penalties in the US or their local country. Be advised that US Copyright violations are subject to statutory penalties of up to $150,000 per violation. The Software contains certain licensed materials and Licensor’s licensors may also protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement. All rights not expressly granted to you herein are reserved by the Licensor.

Race 07 EULA said:
Source

1. License.
(a) Viva Media LLC licenses the application(s), demonstrations, data files, graphic images, and other software accompanying this License Agreement, whether on disk, compact disc, in read-only memory, or on any other media (the “Software”), and the related documentation to you.
(b) You own the media on which the Software is recorded but Viva Media LLC and it’s licensors retain all rights to the Software and related documentation.
(c) This License Agreement allows you to use the Application Software on a single computer.
(d) Provided that another party reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License Agreement you may transfer all your license rights in the Application Software, the related documentation and a copy of this License to another party.

rFactor EULA said:
Source

GRANT OF LICENSE.
Image Space Incorporated grants to you the right to use one copy of the Software on a single computer. You may load one copy into permanent memory of one computer and may use that copy only on that same computer.

LIMITED USE.
Without the prior written consent of Image Space Incorporated, you shall not, directly or indirectly, at any time:
* Exploit, or permit the exploitation of, this Software or any of its parts commercially.
* Publicly display or permit the display of or charge a fee for the use of this Software or any of its parts.
* Reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble this Software, in whole or in part.
* Remove, disable or circumvent any copy protection or proprietary notices or labels contained on or within the Software.

OWNERSHIP OF THE SOFTWARE.
All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Software and all copies are owned or expressly licensed by Image Space Incorporated. The rights of the Software are protected by national copyright laws and by international treaties.

NetKar Pro EULA said:
Source

END USER LICENCE AGREEMENT
THE COPYRIGHT AND OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS IN THIS SOFTWARE (“THE SOFTWARE”) AND ITS ASSOCIATED DOCUMENTATION ARE OWNED BY OR LICENSED TO Kunos Simulazioni di STEFANO CASILLO. PLEASE READ THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LICENCE TERMS. IF YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, PLEASE CLICK YES AT THE END OF THE TERMS AT WHICH POINT THE SOFTWARE WILL, SUBJECT TO PAYMENT OF THE LICENCE FEE, BE LOADED ONTO YOUR COMPUTER. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT BE LOADED ON TO YOUR COMPUTER AND WE WILL REFUND ANY LICENCE FEE YOU HAVE PAID TO US FOR THE LICENCE OF THE SOFTWARE.

Software NetKar Pro
Licence Fee the fee payable for the Software

SOFTWARE LICENCE TERMS
1 This Licence is NON-TRANSFERABLE. It is only valid when obtained directly from Kunos Simulazioni di Stefano Casillo (“we”, “us”, “our”) of c.o. Autodromo Di Vallelunga, Via Mola Maggiorana 4/6, 00063, Campagnano Di Roma, Italy or our authorised dealers.
2 In consideration of your payment of the Licence Fee, we grant you the right to use the Software on a non-exclusive, non-transferable basis on the terms contained in this Licence for an unlimited period. Specifically, you are permitted to:
2.1.1 load the Software in to and use it on a single computer under your control and which meets the specifications set out at the end of this Licence;

2.1.2 transfer the Software from one computer to another provided it is used on only one computer at a time;

2.1.3 use the Software on a computer network (other than for commercial use) provided you have purchased such number of copies of the Software equal to the maximum number of copies of the Software in use on that network at any one time.

2.1.4 make a single copy of the Software for back-up purposes only in support of the permitted use. Such copy must reproduce and include our copyright notice. Such copy and the media on which it is stored is our property and this Licence shall apply to such copy as it applies to the Software.

Simon, the difference's you can't be completely shut out of nKPro, you can't even be banned from servers. That's the main reason I've never "invested" (as some call it) in iRacing, as they can just pull the plug whenever they want.

I was going to list all of the 'goods and services' that I could think of, where the consumer pays for the pleasure of 'experiencing' the product without ever owning it. I was then going to list the ones where you pay with the chance that the product will no longer be available.

But I decided that I couldn't be bothered.

I also keep asking myself why it is that people who seem to dislike or have so many issues with iRacing keep finding themselves in the iRacing forums :confused:. It's like the guy who tagged details of how to cheat in iRacing on every iRacing video I had uploaded to YouTube. I then noticed that he had spent the best part of god knows how much time doing to same to all the iRacing videos he could find.

Just wierd.. Reminds me of all the Man U fans that make their way to the LFC forums and vice-versa.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%