a big question what is the reason for paid mods?

okay so this kinda started in my head a few weeks ago but really amazing mods i hear about like the formula hybrid 2020 and 2021 mods and the formula junior cars from 1960 but they are paid mods and now I'm trying too fugue out the reason of it. why put a price tag some have even moved from free to paid just a curious person help me understand better

Last edited:
Solution
In most society, it is considered acceptable to ask for retribution in exchange for a service or a product.
The motivation inciting a modder to produce a mod can range from just for himself to intending on distributing it for profit. There is no bad reason to make a mod and the reason is no guarantee of the level of quality of the mod. Talent, work, passion and perseverance will produce great mods.
Expectations are usually higher if the mod as a price tag, but in my experience the best mods are not behind a pay wall but from passionate and talented individuals doing it predominately for them self, proud craftsman taking reward in creating an accurate replica of something they admire. Once their creation has reached a level they can be...
Its funny isn't it? for any non sim gamer their first experience with paid mods comes from skyrim and bethesda but the truth is that in the flight and racing sim communities paid mods has been around for decades. However usually not for greedy reasons, but instead because people go to insane quality control lengths for some mods and spend a rather incredible amount of time and money.

I dont know how much you've heard about a flight game called "DCS: World" but a decently sized chunks of its plane-DLC are actually 3rd party mods that give a cut to the developer to be put in the steam store. If you are looking for other reputable payware mods for AC i suggest VRC team. There's also IER simulations but they only offer 1 car, one of the highest quality mod cars for the game, arguably surpassing the original game's. The rest of IER mods are found for free here in RD.

It should not be deemed unreasonable for guys who sit down for countless hours to build mods, to be compensated a bit.
I've purchased lots of mods and donated to modders IF the content was good and reasonably priced.
My other requirement: They've previously offered something unpaid to the community.

It should not be deemed unreasonable for guys who sit down for countless hours to build mods, to be compensated a bit.
I've purchased lots of mods and donated to modders IF the content was good and reasonably priced.
My other requirement: They've previously offered something unpaid to the community.
I think pepole miss understood my question, i am not saying "WeLl AlL mOdS sHoUlD bE fReE" I'm trying to pick the brains of modders.

I make YT sim racing videos for free but I get enjoyment out of it and hope some other people do too. They can take hours to put together and upload.
Today, coincidently, I uploaded my first one featuring a paid mod car as I decided to try out the latest F1 cars (normally into older stuff) so I bought the RSS 2021 Hybrid car. It's good value IMHO.

I make YT sim racing videos for free but I get enjoyment out of it and hope some other people do too. They can take hours to put together and upload.
Today, coincidently, I uploaded my first one featuring a paid mod car as I decided to try out the latest F1 cars (normally into older stuff) so I bought the RSS 2021 Hybrid car. It's good value IMHO.
Indeed now that i started buying paid mods i see that some free ones have more passion, but the paid ones have just as much. My library is now more expansive than ever

This is back in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons.
Is anybody else picking up on this increasing trend with Assetto Corsa?
I am seeing folks 'massage' cars from Forza and other titles, then setting up a patreon page.
Another alarming trend, is established modding groups putting out content and then seldom looking at it again... little to no fixes/updates, etc... (Looking at you U*D).
These trend have the potential to partially derail our community.
I always look at past history and quality of work for any purchase of mods.
I have no issue with paid mods by people who have donated time and work to the community.
Guys like Fat-Alfie, Aphidgod, Patrick Marek, Ben O' Bro, Tiago Lima, Peter Boese, the guys at VRC and RSS, etc... to name just a few.
They have all contributed lots of good work over the years for ALL to sample.
They deserve to be supported IF they ever offer a paid mod.
Some of the others...not so much.

Last edited:
Well, here is my 2 cents worth. When I'm looking for something special in a Mod and find it, I check the reviews take what they say with a grain of salt and if it's free I'll give it a try. If there is a charge and it's what I'm looking for I have no problem paying for someone's labor that I am unable to do. It's an old saying but they say “Nothing is appreciated if it's free” I may be wrong, but that's how I feel about it.

Please don't beat me up for it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back