A Better DIY Brake Pedal Rumble Solution Than Fanatec's V3 Pedals or Game Controller Motors?

I'm very underwhelmed by the stock Fanatec V3 pedal motors. I can *barely* feel them through my shoe. The primary goal is to really feel when the brakes lock up. There's also numerous guides floating around using game controller rumble motors that are variants of this guide:

I want a better rumble feedback I can feel through my shoes than these solutions. There's lots of little hobby motors for sale on Amazon but I don't have the technical knowledge as to choosing the right one. I also read elsewhere (from an old guide) that someone used a solenoid successfully with different software and hardware setups.

Has anyone used stronger motors and attached them to their pedals successfully with a satisfying rumble effect? I am familiar with using the Arduino and Motorshield through USB in SimHub (I just did the wind simulation DIY project this way) so the experience on that part's covered. I just need feeback from others here who used better motors that are compatible with the motor shield (or if there's another way).

Last edited:
I browsed these vibration motors on Amazon and found a review for one where the reviewer uses them in their sim racing rig, so I gave it a go.

These motors are MUCH better than the low powered Fanatec ones and must be better than the gamepad rumblers. I can easily feel the vibrations through my shoes and I'm satisfied with the results. Wheel lock is assigned to the brake pedal motor and wheel slip is assigned to the gas pedal motor (this feedback during drifting is sublime too).

Here are the parts used:

The 1" clamps you can buy at Home Depot for $1 each if you want to buy them locally. You'll have to trim some rubber from the clamp so the motor fits in it but it's a solid, snug fit.

My SimHub settings for these motors are attached. Tweak them as you wish.

Make sure to solder the Arduino to the motor shield via pins as per numerous instructional videos out there.

Hopefully this helps anyone out there looking for much better feedback through their pedals.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Upvote 0
I’d also be interested to know if anyone has fitted any kind of bass shaker to a pedal - much more responsive than a motor. I have a Dayton exciter to try out but might be a little big for the purpose.

Why just the pedals James?
Simhub places no restrictions other than what the user can install and how well they install their tactile in the rigs they have.

We can create effects in Simhub that combine the application of gradual speed deceleration with individual high energy low bass effects for longitudinal G-Force representation. These could if desired transfer in activity from the user's seat to the pedals as the force increases with then also the potential to use a unique judder sensation for wheel lock scenario.

So yeah, its possible to go much further now with Simhub if we get creative in effects usage, having different effects work together (Speed / G-load Wheel slip & Wheel lock) each with its own character or felt sensation.

That certainly allows us to go beyond just a rather static rumble with only gain increase or with using the same approach but only a more powerful motor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea those fanatec motors are a gimmick. I used the cheap ebay "rumble motors" but welded a small nut on each one. Between my chair, handbrake, shifter, pedals I have 12 motors running on simhub. I tried the motors you posted above and the setup I have now seems a bit more responsive.

Upvote 0
I did the rumble motors on my old CSL elite pedals using Xbox controller and they are more than you really need.
I wear racing shoes and they vibrate my entire rig to the point I've had to turn them down to about 50-60% volume.

Upvote 0
Hello
I am looking for the brake pedal vibration mod/kit or some diy solution and want to ask you is this will work with iracing?
I spend some time searching the Internet for this but only found the oryginal fanatec pedals.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back