90fps VR w/ Custom Shaders, SOL in multiplayer- is it possible? i5-6600k @4.3Ghz / 2070 Super

I feel like ive spent a 40 hour work week trying to get VR to run smooth with more than just my car on the track.

Single screen 1440p works wonderful, no issues, everything is beautiful. Just me hotlapping in VR w/ CSP and Sol also works fine, 90fps
I am using WMR Lenovo Explorer VR headset.

When I try to hop on a public multiplayer in VR, the framerate suffers. Getting some average probably like 60-70 fps. Looking at my stats in Afterburner my CPU and GPU are nowhere near even 100%, something like 70-80% for both, yet my framerates arent where they need to be.

Reading online people are talking about AC isnt so good using multiple cores, etc..

My CSP settings have all optimizations enabled

Post processing is AC is OFF during VR

My SteamVR settings are Motion Smoothing - Use Global Settings , Legacy reprojection off, enabling motion smoothing doesnt seem to make a difference.

Really i'm wondering if anyone with a similar setup has it running smoothly with multiple cars on the track on VR? Is it possible? Is there a magic bullet I am missing?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

My specs are Vive Pro with i7-9700k, RTX2080, 32gb ram and Asus Z390mb. After a few days playing with different settings I can now manage fields of 25 cars at 90fps. I used Andrew-WOT's VR guide (see link below) to start from, then modified some settings to suit my system. CSP if not set up properly will kill FPS in VR.

AC is not good at multi-core use and more cars on track will affect CPU performance more than GPU. I'm still learning myself but my setup in the pics works for me. Oh I do have 'no clouds' for big fields as that affects FPS as well. 14 cars on track allows me to run clouds etc.

Annotation 2020-04-25 230302.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 230425.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 230550.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 230717.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 2304215.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 2305501.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 2307171.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 23055011.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 23071711.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 230717111.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 230717211.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-25 230717221.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

Pretty sure you can disable Yebisest FX, it doesn't do anything in VR to my knowledge as needs Yebis PP AA which only works on flat screen, but may steal some performance.

Pretty sure you can disable Yebisest FX, it doesn't do anything in VR to my knowledge as needs Yebis PP AA which only works on flat screen, but may steal some performance.

I was actually wondering about that and was going to ask you. Thanks. I've since upgraded to CSP 1.52 and enabled smart shadows as you suggested to someone in the VR discod channel but it gives some weird shadows on far away mountains lo LAC so think I need to play with draw distance or similar.

• Deleted member 197115

WMR reprojection can steal some GPU power, unless you cannot maintain 90fps no matter what, I'd keep it disabled or it can sink performance even more.
On Smart Shadows, disable Matrices and double second number on interior split. I think it's in the guide as well.

WMR reprojection can steal some GPU power, unless you cannot maintain 90fps no matter what, I'd keep it disabled or it can sink performance even more.
On Smart Shadows, disable Matrices and double second number on interior split. I think it's in the guide as well.

It seems even on low settings I am CPU bound... unfortunately framerate is inconsistent if I dont turn on reprojection :(

Does that seem right? I feel I have upper tier system specs, was hoping to achieve 90fps in VR but seems VR is a beast!

It seems even on low settings I am CPU bound... unfortunately framerate is inconsistent if I dont turn on reprojection :(

Does that seem right? I feel I have upper tier system specs, was hoping to achieve 90fps in VR but seems VR is a beast!

What CPU? Have you run fpsVR? Great app for checking in game cpu and gpu performance for VR, available on steam. If you do make sure it doesn't change any super sampling, it put mine up to 150% by default so I changed the settings to custom (in fpsVR on desktop) tso it maintained 100% (no super sampling).

What CPU? Have you run fpsVR? Great app for checking in game cpu and gpu performance for VR, available on steam. If you do make sure it doesn't change any super sampling, it put mine up to 150% by default so I changed the settings to custom (in fpsVR on desktop) tso it maintained 100% (no super sampling).

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz

Well, I disabled a couple background things, restarted my computer, and what do you know, getting 90fps on multiplayer servers in VR... so not sure exactly but something was bogging it down :)

Thanks again for your help!

• Deleted member 197115

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz

Well, I disabled a couple background things, restarted my computer, and what do you know, getting 90fps on multiplayer servers in VR... so not sure exactly but something was bogging it down :)

Thanks again for your help!
Glad it worked for you. :)
ITCrow.jpg

I feel like ive spent a 40 hour work week trying to get VR to run smooth with more than just my car on the track.

Single screen 1440p works wonderful, no issues, everything is beautiful. Just me hotlapping in VR w/ CSP and Sol also works fine, 90fps
I am using WMR Lenovo Explorer VR headset.

When I try to hop on a public multiplayer in VR, the framerate suffers. Getting some average probably like 60-70 fps. Looking at my stats in Afterburner my CPU and GPU are nowhere near even 100%, something like 70-80% for both, yet my framerates arent where they need to be.

Reading online people are talking about AC isnt so good using multiple cores, etc..

My CSP settings have all optimizations enabled

Post processing is AC is OFF during VR

My SteamVR settings are Motion Smoothing - Use Global Settings , Legacy reprojection off, enabling motion smoothing doesnt seem to make a difference.

Really i'm wondering if anyone with a similar setup has it running smoothly with multiple cars on the track on VR? Is it possible? Is there a magic bullet I am missing?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!
I had same i6600k with a gtx1080 and it was struggling to play vr with CSP and sol and smart mirrors. It was a CPU bottleneck. I upgraded to a 7700k and man, it is night and day. I can play vr with all almost maxed out no problem with 20 ai

I had same i6600k with a gtx1080 and it was struggling to play vr with CSP and sol and smart mirrors. It was a CPU bottleneck. I upgraded to a 7700k and man, it is night and day. I can play vr with all almost maxed out no problem with 20 ai

Good to know! Don't think a CPU upgrade is justified at this point but nice to know it would make a difference in VR :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 335 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 227 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 290 13.4%