8020 Rig: SimXPro, Sim-Lab or others?

So, once I've found a seat I figured it would be nice to have a proper rig.

My hardware so far is a Simucube 2 Pro and Heusinkveld Sprint pedals. Next upgrade, aside from the rig, would be adding shakers/transducers. I run VR and only need the simplest possible monitor mount to fit an old 27 inch display.

Anyhow, the two most interesting alternatives I've found are the Sim-Labs P1-X and SimXPro R160. SimXPro also has a more expensive version, XT160, costing about as much as the P1-X. I don't know what the difference is between the R160 and XT160.

I obviously want something with absolutely no flex, even if I were to run 100% force feedback. I also like the wider design of these rigs. 40x160 profile on the bottom rails might be a bit overkill but I imagine the extra height will make it easier to get in and out of the rig.

I've considered designing my own rig but when adding the nice-to-haves I want, it's hard to beat the price. Like, I want a front mount for the Simucube and the pedal tray brackets look nice and seem practical. Buying these separately, with added shipping costs, it's hard to design something similar to a lower price.

Does anyone have experience with SimXPro? I can't find any good reviews out there. From what I've gathered the quality of the profiles is on par with Sim-Lab. Where Sim-Lab uses anodized profiles SimXPro has their black profiles powder coated - doesn't look as good in my opinion, but it's more scratch resistant. However, if I god with SimXpro I might get the silver version. I believe it's anodized too.

I have no idea about SimXPro's front mount and pedal tray brackets. They're hardened steel instead of aluminium, but I can't tell if they're thick enough to have zero flex.

What are your thoughts on these two? Do you know of any other rigs I should consider as well?

I doubt many have owned multiple options. I also have a SimLabs P1X and have been happy with it. I would advise you to order all the options you might want to begin with. When ordering accessories later, the shipping costs make them a little ridiculous. I wanted a few things I did not order to begin with, and the shipping cost for those additions is about $100, which is enough that I decided I don't really need them but still wish I would have ordered them originally.

Upvote 0
I doubt many have owned multiple options. I also have a SimLabs P1X and have been happy with it. I would advise you to order all the options you might want to begin with. When ordering accessories later, the shipping costs make them a little ridiculous. I wanted a few things I did not order to begin with, and the shipping cost for those additions is about $100, which is enough that I decided I don't really need them but still wish I would have ordered them originally.
I actually cancelled my order. The store (Biesheuvel, not Sim-Lab) contacted me and said the seat was out of stock and they wanted 150 euro more for shipping, because somehow their system wasn't working properly. So now I'm back to: Sim Lab with a 5-15 days lead time (seriously annoying to be honest), a bit more expensive but also better looking and plenty of reviews. Or, SimXPro with faster delivery, a bit less expensive, no reviews and will the shiny powder coat get too ugly in the living room?

I'm still leaning towards the P1-X but we'll see...

I'll make sure the get the accessories I want right away. Speaking of which, do you know what the feet are like on the P1-X? Are they rubbered in any way, or just hard nylon? I live in an apartment and I plan on getting transducers in the future, so vibration mitigation is kind of important.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I can only speak for SimLab P1-X, excellent modular design with lots of options and a great customer service.
Not knocking SimXPro, it could be just as good, I just haven't seen any feedback on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Our post office also owns our largest courier company. I have seen my postie drop off with the mail a courier card saying I wasnt at home for delivery for a package too large for the postie to carry. What a joke :)

To be fair, the xl160 looks like it has all of the goods as well.

Upvote 0
Have the P1-X and like it a lot. One thing I wish I did when putting it together originally was to locktite some of the anchors/M8 which can vibrate loose over time. A couple of them end up in areas that are not accessible for tightening once everything is put together (uprights -> base, underneath the seat, and the armrest -> frame connections).

Upvote 0
Heh, I just placed an order on the XT160. We'll see how this goes. If I get another "oops, we miscalculated shipping" my head is going to explode.
Anyhow, what finally settled it for me was the price. I think the P1-X looks better and cleaner, but the XT160 is probably going to be okay. Because of my indicisiveness, adding and removing things from the cart and so forth, they gave me a 5% discount. With things costing more than I had anticipated (as they always do) and budget stretching thin, it's nice having a little extra to spend on other things (like shakers).

I'm hoping this will turn out to be a good decision.

Oh, and I'll definitely get me some locktite!

Upvote 0
My rig is from SimXPro, Hybrid SRX80. Very strong solid profiles, heavy duty steel brackets,
powder coating is very high quality (tough and good looking).
Fit very good, rock solid.
Ordered their cheapest seat, and it is quite comfortable.
Probably few reviews due to them being fairly new on the market.
Packaging very good, no surplus packaging.
Shipping was via UPS to Canada, all within the promised timeline.
Ivan

Upvote 0
My rig is from SimXPro, Hybrid SRX80. Very strong solid profiles, heavy duty steel brackets,
Ivan
Hey, that's great to hear! What wheel and mount do you have? I'm hoping the front mount will be rigid enough to not flex with full ffb on the SC2 Pro. I expect the uprights to have a few millimeters of movement under high forces, just like the P1-X and any other rig that's not triangulated, but that would be easy to fix if I want to. As long as the wheel mount is solid things should be fine.

My understanding is that SimXPro doesn't want to do the whole paid review kind of thing that's become very popular today. Might be a marketing mistake as there's at least some value in seeing the product assembled and in action (even though I loathe paid marketing posing as reviews, and I trust most youtubers about as far as I can throw them). But yeah, maybe the word will spread if the products are good. I'll certainly share my thoughts once I got it all assembled and tested.

A positive thing so far is that they seem to be handling things fast. I've already got a tracking number and the order is awaiting pick up at their warehouse.

Upvote 0
Update:

I've assembled the SimXPro XT160 now. SimXPro sent everything within two days, and then it was up to DPD and the local postal service.

Assembly took longer than expected. It was straightforward but I'm not, ehm... how should I put this... used to working bent over or on my knees. Some instructions and a few tips and tricks, and do's and dont's would have helped as well. For example, would have helped to know that you have to push the uprights apart to fit the wheel mount. The seat was a real bitch to get centered and straight, which was a bit surprising. I mean, it ain't rocket surgery but a lot of moving around to get it right.

Nothing unique for the SimXPro but anyway, could have been a bit easier with at least some pointers.

Overall quality is nice. These are sturdy pieces of aluminium profile. Judging by pictures I've seen they're equivalent to Sim Lab's. Cuts are nice and clean. I like the powder coating more than I though I would - looks better and more matte than in the pictures. After managing to screw up a few times I appreciate the tougher powder coating over anodized metal.

Front mount and pedal brackets are solid. I won't be having any issues with flex there.

My biggest complaints are the VESA bracket and the feet.

Unless I'm mistaken VESA brackets should have standard dimensions not just on the bolt pattern but on the plate as well. So, the bracket was a couple of millimetres too wide. Carved out some of the plastic on the display to make the bracket fit - it's an older display so I'm not too precious about it.

The feet are nice in that I'm sure they'll stop a lot of vibrations going to the floor, which I'll appreciate when I get shakers. However, they should've been larger in diameter and perhaps a harder rubber to avoid flexing. I haven't felt it while driving but they do flex quite a bit from side to side. I'll see whether or not I'll replace them later on.

Oh, and one last thing. The uprights. They're 20mm longer than SimLab's but I still feel they're a bit short. Never seen people complain about this, so maybe I'm weird? I've got the front mount set about as high as it will go. It's in a perfect position as it is now, but then my seat also sits as low as possible. A higher seat, sliders or whatever would get the wheel a bit low for my liking.

Anyway, all in all I'd say it's a good, high quality, product at a very competitive price. Delivery time and shipping cost was also good.

Upvote 0
Ivan
I'm very curious what the shipping cost to Canada was? Also was there duties fees?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm very curious what the shipping cost to Canada was? Also was there duties fees?
An xt160 with probably up to 1 accessory, is 65.1-70 kg or 279 euros shipping to US / Canada. I personally did not have to pay duties or fees to the US., probably 5% to Canada but I don't really know for sure.

For vesa brackets that don't quite fit you would generally use spacers or standoffs. I'm pretty sure the standard is actually just covering hole pattern, screw size, and maybe weight capacity... not whether the mount should be inset into the back surface of a curved monitor or flush with a flat surface like most tvs. Otherwise it wouldn't even make any sense to have a bracket with holes for 100mm and 75mm spacing as it could never fit a 75mm socket properly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 333 28.2%