69 Boss 302 & BMW 3.5 CSL @ Sachsenring 1967 - Tues Sept 28th

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
291dea2302.jpg

a947e3d7e5.jpg

Servername: RD GTL Racing Club
Class: Race1: Boss 302 / Race2: BMW 3.5 CSL (BMW CSL with 430HP - numbered #870 - #877)
Track: Sachsenring 1967
Practice: 20 min
Start Time: 19:00 GMT
Qualification: 30 min Note: Instead of having 20 minutes of practice and then 10 minutes of qualification, we will have the full 30 minutes dedicated just to qualification. Unlimited laps.
Race: 2 x 10 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins included with 302 only. GTC76 Skinpack 1.0 for CSL.

Note 3: Gents, remember that the GTL events aren't ranked anymore. So please enjoy the track and the company of your friends without worrying too much about where you place on the grid. You also don't have to worry about getting a DNF.

This is a very nice track but you have keep your eyes on the objects lining the road, some of them will render your car useless if you come in contact with them. It's better to have a slightly slower pace here then go all out and push the limits all the time, doing so could mean a very short race for you.

Lets have fun.

Wanna elaborate on the "new FOV" there Thommo? :tongue:

Something as was posted in this blog (Stuart's comment is down there somewhere). Basically it comes to moving your POV forward which is possible in GTL by pressing CTRL and push the mouse forward. (or backward if you're too close, not likely)

Roman: for me the links still work, but here's the track: link (let me know if I still need to upload the Boss-pack (100MB)

Ctrl + hold the left mouse button + move mouseforward

My advice would be to try it in practice - don't go into an event with it, as it takes some getting used to.

But - I honestly prefer it - me, Hutcho, Steve P, Nige all tried it, and it got a pretty much universal thumbs up. I've used it every event since then.

Doesn't make me quicker (I suspect my slowness is more fundamental than that), but it feels really nice and is more immersive for me.

Something as was posted in this blog (Stuart's comment is down there somewhere). Basically it comes to moving your POV forward which is possible in GTL by pressing CTRL and push the mouse forward. (or backward if you're too close, not likely)

Roman: for me the links still work, but here's the track: link (let me know if I still need to upload the Boss-pack (100MB)

Thx Kris looks like both downloads work now fine. Already downloading - see ya in the evening!

I can't re-stress enough Carlos's warning about trackside objects - some of them are brutal.

I'm definitely going on the basis of it being better to do 100% of the race @ 90%, than 90% of the race @ 100% :good:

Ah yes...I read that blog too, I have been in the habit of messing with my FOV for almost every race, even before reading the blog. I have tried the narrow view also, but even though it's better for driving I have a hard time seeing the cars next to me. So I put the FOV just wide enough that if you are next to me going into a turn, I can at least see a little bit of your front fender.

The narrow view would be freakin awesome on a triple screen setup though, that way you have the best of both worlds, you have the correct (realistic) FOV and an extended view of your sides.

It's a little different from adjusting your seat Kris...mess around with it some more and you will see what I mean.

Adjust your seat all the way back, and then narrow the FOV a bit. Drive like that for a few laps. Take notice of how much of your dash board and steering wheel is visible when you do it.

Then, adjust your seat all the way forwards and widen your FOV until you can see the same areas of your car's interior as before and go for a spin...you should notice the difference then between adjusting your FOV and adjusting your seat.

Hope that helps.

Well, that was fun :D. Lost control in that fast bit just after the second split, went wide, and ended up beached on the side of the road. Couldn't move backwards or forwards.

Tim was kind enough to come back and give me a push, but he got DQed for driving in reverse I guess :D. Sorry about your race, but that was too funny :D

Please someone post here when it's time for race 2.

No luck for me tonight. Was a bad start in Race 2, as expected, but I managed to get a couple positions back in the first lap. Then I braked way too late for that 90 degree left turn at the second split, and went straight into the barrier. I stalled the engine, and, since I had no idea what key the ignition was assigned to, had to retire.

Sachsenring is one of my all time favourite tracks on RD; it's long, it's fast, and it's scary. That final sector, with all the bumps, and that turn over a crest, going towards the bridge... Awesome.

Hope to see it again in the GTL club :)

Thanks to organizers, and to Tim for trying to help, and for lots of laughs in Race 1 :D

Great fun last night, amazed i finished both races, although in race one i drove a rolling BBQ for the last quarter of a lap :D that 69 Boss is just an awesome beast to drive around here and i would love to have a go with it on other tracks.

Thnx all for making it a great event :thanks:

Race 2:

Nice start with whole group, I haven't seen any accident. I drove 6th, but after small mistake Tim and Dragos passed me and I watched them together with Kris fighting for positions. Unfortunately turn under the bridge after long downhill straight ended fatal for Kris and Tim showing that these car really can fly. Then I made mistake in last corner and spun, dropped down to last. First and actually only person I met in this race was Jack, I had a nice and clean fight with Jack - well done, but finally I was able to make a pass on him. Then I started to chase Neil. I improved my Best laptime over 3 sec :) but last 3 laps were nightmare with lots of mistakes where I lost 30 sec. finished 6th - I think...

Lovely track - with all these classical DDR commercial like Pneumat - reminds my of past! Really good car choice.

Thanks Carlos and RD!

Not such a great evening for me. Not due to the cars, but more due to the piece of asphalt we had to conquer. In my first practice sessions I took around 10 to 15 laps before managing 1 timed lap, all those near-track objects simply mean 1 thing: Instant Death!
I kept practising with the Boss cause then afterwards the Beemer is a touch 'easier/more forgiving'. Slowly I started to get a grip on the Sachsenring, but Death kept lurking behind every (blind) corner & in all small obstacles. This in combination with superfast corners showed a rather big difference in laptimes amongst the drivers - it must be due to the difference in confidence in the car/track I guess.

R1: Got an epic start (I found a way to have a kind of launch-control in the Boss :D) so I got in front of some drivers who were almost twice as fast as me. Some busy moments in these first laps as they were trying to avoid me when I was braking miles to early for a corner (brave job guys) All clean passes when I went wide or simply to slow through the corners. When the field had spread some more I tried pushing a little more and that's something the Sachsenring doesn't forgive you: a lantern post in lap 5 and game over. I tried pushing coins in my pc, but no retry possible :(

R2: My shortest race at RD ever I think. Not a good start, so in the middle of the pack I was very carefully 'cruising' through the opening lap when I got pretty close to Tim on the long straight. Tim went wide when locking his wheels and for some idiot reason I just followed him and gave him a bump while he tried to avoid that big tree: result as described by Roman - Beemers can fly.... Very sorry Tim, I'm pretty sure you would have went off track without me, but at least you would have had a chance in avoiding that oak. Once again my humble apologies!
-Replays checked to make sure I didn't touch Tim before going wide- For you Tim: Link

Before impact.jpg

Overall: not that great feelings on the track

Edit: I'm missing the 'thanks'-buttons

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back