65 Corvette @ Watkins Glen - Thu 5th January 2012

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyergtc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Chevrolet Corvette 65
Track: Watkins Glen Nascar / Watkins Glen Long (download)

Practice start time: GMT 20.00
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (15 laps)
---------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 (15 laps)

Note1: Default skins only.
Note2: We will no longer be adding people as "maybe" or "possibles" - you sign up, you show up.

Server password & Racing Rules: click here

I still use Warren's settings to this day too - they are the settings I posted for Magnus in his "help" thread the other day - and I use 75% effect strength by default, so we're pretty close. :D

Warren is The Man.
Agreed:)

Ah, I didn't see that thread until now. Could have just linked to that one.

EDIT: I see you use spring and damper in the Logitech settings. Do you prefer this? I keep them both at zero so that the force is only coming from the sim.

From what I can tell, these forces has little to do with the simulation, but forces that are added by the logitech software. I think these values should only be used if the game does not have FFB support. I would recommend to set these to zero or at least a low enough value so that these forces does not dominate the FFB output.

In an actual steering system there isn't really any damping either. However, there is friction and rotational inertia, but these cannot be modeled with a damping term. The inertia should be handled by the sim by adding the [inertia of the steeringcolumn+wheel]*steering_ratio to the spindle Iz-component, and friction is neglected.

The spring on the other hand is a representation of the linear range of the tire slip and self-aligning moment which is much better modeled in the sim!

I'll probably end up in a black book of sorts :eek:
As far as black books go I am right there with you as well.:rolleyes: In race 2 stayed behind everyone and tried so very hard to slide it around corners but it was stubborn and miserable. I am pretty sure I recall seeing "no drifting" in the rules thread... I wonder how big of a bribe.er..donation would be needed to stay under the radar?:p
Driving this car is just a chore for me, not having much fun, and other tasks await.
I have to agree, I do not have fun while trying to drive or trying to slide this car. Other muscle, yes. Corvette, no.

Had a great time tonight and thoroughly enjoyed the Vette around here. I even had some practice last night and came prepared for once.

In the first race I got a good start and had a comfortable lead after the first few corners. Was able to set some decent laps, but the gap down to Bob remained almost constant throughout the race.

In the second race I had a really nice battle with Stuart. It was quite hard work and it was not easy to keep close, let alone overtake him. Changed positions a few times as the tires started to deteriorate but I spent most of the time chasing him. Good stuff.

Thanks Stu for a great event and thanks to all of you that showed up.

Had a good time and I must say that I enjoyed driving the Vette. I used a setup in Race 2 suggested by Roland ( Amir's I believe) which was balanced pretty good for me but I was still hard on the tires. I know some expressed their dislike for this car but I somehow felt confortable in it.

Well done to podiumers, great track/car event Stu and thanks to all for the great, clean racing.

...Stuart have 900 as he post to me and it's very interesting to hear what others have.
I've recently moved from about 300 to using full 900 degrees, so I may be found standing on the starting grid with my front wheels fully sideways without even knowing it...:D

.... I would recommend to set these to zero or at least a low enough value so that these forces does not dominate the FFB output.

In an actual steering system there isn't really any damping either. However, there is friction and rotational inertia, but these cannot be modeled with a damping term. The inertia should be handled by the sim by adding the [inertia of the steeringcolumn+wheel]*steering_ratio to the spindle Iz-component, and friction is neglected.....
Because I am so smart that of course I know exactly what Knut's talking about, I instantly agreed with his reasoning and set both damper and spring from 100 to 0 in my profiler for last nights race, and TBH I did not notice any difference:rolleyes:. I probably have instructed my game somehow to ignore the Profiler altogether..

Other than that, I had a fun evening in my roofless Corvette. This car is strong, quick on the straights and makes great noise (a lot of it!:) ) . And contrary to the high-powered '76 Vette it does not want to kill you in every corner. So what's not to like??

True: it is not the easiest car to drive, and true: I've become quite knowledgeable on Watkins' Armco barriers and gravel particle sizes during practise last night, but once I figured out again to let the car do most of the work and I should just loosely guide it around the track instead of trying to enforce my will upon it, all was fine. And fun too.
Heck, I even managed 3rd in Q1, albeit with some help:cool:. My 6th place(?) in R1 was a more realistic reflection of my abilities..

P2 and Q2 both were quite OK, but unfortunately I was a little too eager to get going at R2 start..
Went sideways shifting to 2nd and hit the concrete wall. Dropped a few places so while I was desperately trying to be a smooth as possible to conserve my tires I was also determined to recover some of the lost ground... to no avail however.
I spent almost the entire race trying to catch Jack, but my advice to try a different setup worked out a bit too well.. :confused:
And Alexander proved to be too quick too, but I could regain a place as he suffered from a spin going downhill. He then came to chase me but my tires were still relatively good and race end was near.

I must add that I very much like the atmosphere and attention to detail on this track. I read somewhere it's a straight conversion from the old RSDG version of this track.. These guys really did create some exceptional mods and tracks back then!

Congrats to the podiums, thanks Thommo for another entertaining combo. Hope to cya next time!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back