5.1 issues from soundcard

Hey guys, having a strange intermittent problem with my 5.1 output.
Now and then it's like it forgets which speakers are left, centre, right, sub, surround left and surround right. If I disable the Speakers option in the sound settings control panel then re-enable it, then run a test with the soundblaster or windows speaker config screens it works again. Play rF2 or ACC and at some random point in time, the speakers shift from front to back, I get mono sometimes and the sub is either always on or off. Then it kind of switches between different states of FUBAR until I go back, disable and re-enable it again.

I've tried the following;
Different optical cable
New optical cable
Different optical in port on the amp

No point trying HDMI, I dont get 5.1 sound at all when using it as it reads some eid or something from the TV meaning my TV is reported to my GTX1070 which then gets 2.1 only... even though testing DTS does give me 5.1 I can never reproduce it in games or movies.

Do you guys think its software or hardware related?

when using an optical cable for audio your limited to doby digital or dts which wont produce 5.1 in games, only films and things encoded for those 2 formats. its most likely a matrix encoding problem that its trying to simulate 5.1 from a stereo source and gets muddled up somwhere along the line. its most likely settings on your amp.tv causing it.

when using an optical cable for audio your limited to doby digital or dts which wont produce 5.1 in games, only films and things encoded for those 2 formats. its most likely a matrix encoding problem that its trying to simulate 5.1 from a stereo source and gets muddled up somwhere along the line. its most likely settings on your amp.tv causing it.
Thanks for the advice David.
I went and connected the lead to a different optical port on the amp, and also initiated a repair using the windows context menu to troubleshoot problems on the sound settings. It did seem to do something regarding a service that was stopped or not working correctly and it sounds ok now.

I know not popular but I swapped to BT and USB and disabled the on-board .(.save some process there )

TM Riing 7.1 headphones for sims ( only a few sims even list 7.1 headphones )
For motorsport / movies / music I use Sennheiser BT4.40
Both are middling at best still produce clean sound

P.S. I recommenced anyone has BT5.0 motherboard to test BT4.40 or better from Amazon
Unreal range, light, charge rapid, sound great

Last edited:
Last edited:
My amp doesn't have BT so that's not an option. Even though my motherboard comes with it.
Then again, if you're talking about headphones that isn't an option for me at all. I need to be able to hear the baby monitor. Plus when my wife yells at me she likes a response most of the time... :sneaky:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 347 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%