4K ?? a peculiarity of painters?

Again and again, skins are offered as 4K. The result is a significant slowdown in the game. It's OK to train with just one car, but a race with 20 or more participants is a disaster. We have tested this with a new i9 with 8GB video memory, also here are record losses.
Graphics with more than 20MB eat power resources of the PCs. And most of the time, they are not even produced in detail. I know what I'm writing here, I've been doing 25 years of carpainting. 4K is only a relief for the painter, it is much more difficult to make smaller graphics. If you really want to keep a 4K skin, you should reduce the size of the file by half. The same applies to some additional graphics included. The templates included with the game with max. 2048 x 2048 pix. more than enough for this game if you run all the graphics of the game at a higher level.

Yes, max 16MB would be just OK, also affects the amount of vehicles in the performance of the performance of the PC.
A negative example: Car skin 22MB, SkinMap 22MB, Suit 16MB, Clovers 16MB, Pneu (standing) just 6MB, the same for the rotating tire, window or banner 8MB.
I now have all addon skins on my nephew on 2048x2048, tires on 512x512, windows and banners on max. 1024x1024, suits, helmets and govers to max. 1024x1024 reduced and converted to DX3, now he has fun again, and the graphical correction is not noticeable.

ContentManager could offer a downscale option for skins.

If you are proficient in scripting you could wrap a quick thing around ffmpeg or ImageMagic to grovel your game folder for 4k skins and downscale those.

Yes, max 16MB would be just OK, also affects the amount of vehicles in the performance of the performance of the PC.
A negative example: Car skin 22MB, SkinMap 22MB, Suit 16MB, Clovers 16MB, Pneu (standing) just 6MB, the same for the rotating tire, window or banner 8MB.
I now have all addon skins on my nephew on 2048x2048, tires on 512x512, windows and banners on max. 1024x1024, suits, helmets and govers to max. 1024x1024 reduced and converted to DX3, now he has fun again, and the graphical correction is not noticeable.
Noob question: how do you downscale this? In VR much detail is lost so I'd like to downscale in favor of performance.

First, you need a graphics program (Paint Shop, Photoshop) or the like with a plugin that DDS files in (PSD, JEPG, BMP), etc. can convert. A very good freeware is GIMP. After calling up the body file (represents the car) you can shrink the image but keep the aspect ratio.
For example, a picture of 4096x4096 pixels you can easily zoom down to a size of 2048x2048 PIxel, without a really noticeable change in the look. If you zoom in too much, it may well happen that the sticker etc. becomes illegible. Afterwards the file must be converted back to the picture format DDS. There are 3 important options (DX1, DX3 or DX5) which are also relevant for the data volume of the DDS file. Windows or banner with DX3 or DX5, all others can be converted with DX1 or DX3.
On the Internet you will surely find instructions for it.

We drive GT3 races with 18 makes and 36 starters. And that should be smooth.
My system:
WIN7-64-Prof.
32GB RAM
I7-4770
GF GTX 770 2GB (will be replaced on GF 1060 AMP 6GB)
Logitech G29

Again and again, skins are offered as 4K. The result is a significant slowdown in the game. It's OK to train with just one car, but a race with 20 or more participants is a disaster. We have tested this with a new i9 with 8GB video memory, also here are record losses.
Graphics with more than 20MB eat power resources of the PCs. And most of the time, they are not even produced in detail. I know what I'm writing here, I've been doing 25 years of carpainting. 4K is only a relief for the painter, it is much more difficult to make smaller graphics. If you really want to keep a 4K skin, you should reduce the size of the file by half. The same applies to some additional graphics included. The templates included with the game with max. 2048 x 2048 pix. more than enough for this game if you run all the graphics of the game at a higher level.

I agree that 4k is useless for playing, except for those who have a real beast of a computer. However there are many guys who enjoy making hires screens and for them a 4k texture is definitely better.

Skinning in 4k is as easy as skinning in 2k and vice versa. It's exactly the same thing.

If this is important to you and you have a general interest in colors and the like it might be worth learning GMIC. It is a commandline tool that does all these conversions for you, and that means you can easily script it. It has excellent dds support, and an integrated viewer with some interactive functions.

http://gmic.eu/

Learning it can also tremendously help with your photos or whatever else you are into.

I skin in 4K out of habit these days. Before I got my Rift, I used to drive from a roof cam, and any graphic on the roof looked ass in anything less than 4K. Hell, even in 4K they still looked low res.

Not an issue now that I play in VR and can't see my skin anyways, but I still do it out of habit. Downscaling skins is quite trivial, though, so I don't see this as being an issue anyways.

I've only been doing it a few weeks really, and will admit I sometimes forget to resize the map file in the final version. Just checked my latest one I put up last night and it has the following:
Skin 4K: 21.3MB (BC3/DXT5)
Skin_map 4K: 10.6MB (BC1/DXT1) - No Alpha
Window Banner 1K: 170KB (BC1/DXT1) - No Alpha
Crew (1K): 682KB (BC1/DXT1) - No Alpha

I could reduce the map size but it depends, as I do quite detailed maps now to get varying amounts of matte finish. The logos I usually make almost full matte and some of these can be quite small so might look weird if I shrunk it down.

I'm running an i7-4770K with 16gb ram and a gtx1070OC on an ultrawide @ 3440x1440, which I didn't really consider as being a beast of a PC, but I guess it kind of is compared so some rigs with older graphics cards. I can usually run at least 15 cars with 4K skins and hit over 60fps when recording with nVidia share/shadowplay - the track can have quite a big impact as well I think. When not recording, my framerate is usually around 80-90 with a decent size grid.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 355 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%