4GB Patch still needed for Game Stock Car?

Many, many people including myself use the 4GB patch for just about any pre-rFactor 2 ISI engine based sim. I use it for rFactor 1, GT Legends, Game Stock Car, Formula Truck, and i'm pretty sure the Race 07 series of games as well.

I'm assuming this still is required in Game Stock Car in order to allocate more than 2 GB of system RAM to the game?...

Pre-rFactor 2 ISI engine based games can only utilize up to 2GB of system RAM, however the 4GB patch allows the program to use up to 4GB of RAM, however I know that Reiza do some additional programming from their side; so I am wondering if Game Stock Car Extreme and Formula Truck can use up to 4GB of RAM without the patch, or do they still only use up to 2GB?

It would be wrong to assume they use up to 4GB because, again, almost every other pre-rFactor 2 ISI engine based sim could only use up to 2GB of system RAM without the 4GB patch applied.

It only changes your GSC.exe file so make a back up and patch it if doesn't do anything just erase the patched exe file and rename your renamed file back to the original GSC.exe. I tried it and I didn't see any difference in the performance. Ran it for about 3 days. So I changed it back just because.

I'd hazard a guess and say that Reiza would not release a game out of the box that needs to be patched by a 3rd party program anyway.

The only reason rFactor needed it, was because custom mods needed it as it was way over the level of detail - especially polygon counts - that ISI had ever envisaged. Since you only run default content on GSC anyway, I seriously doubt the need for a patch. Reiza has most likely optimised it for out-of-the-box performance.

It only changes your GSC.exe file so make a back up and patch it if doesn't do anything just erase the patched exe file and rename your renamed file back to the original GSC.exe. I tried it and I didn't see any difference in the performance. Ran it for about 3 days. So I changed it back just because.
The program automatically makes a backup of the original EXE, no need to back it up yourself. And no, you won't just magically see more performance with the patch; it's used to allow the game to to use more than 2 GB of system RAM. For example, you might get a freeze if you try to run a really large track with lots of cars. The patch solves this as it allows the game to use more than 2GB of system RAM.
I'd hazard a guess and say that Reiza would not release a game out of the box that needs to be patched by a 3rd party program anyway.

The only reason rFactor needed it, was because custom mods needed it as it was way over the level of detail - especially polygon counts - that ISI had ever envisaged. Since you only run default content on GSC anyway, I seriously doubt the need for a patch. Reiza has most likely optimised it for out-of-the-box performance.
GSC is based on the rFactor 1 engine, and like rF1 it, of course, doesn't need to be patched :) . But, like in rFactor 1, you can download mods for GSC. Plus, the stock GSC content has much higher polygon count and other system demands than the stock rF1 content. Also, there are tons of track and car mods for GSC as well; I'm not sure why you would assume that one would only run stock content with GSC.
The problem happened, most often, with big tracks and lots of opponents.

Last edited:
The program automatically makes a backup of the original EXE, no need to back it up yourself. And no, you won't just magically see more performance with the patch; it's used to allow the game to to use more than 2 GB of system RAM. For example, you might get a freeze if you try to run a really large track with lots of cars. The patch solves this as it allows the game to use more than 2GB of system RAM.
GSC is based on the rFactor 1 engine, and like rF1 it, of course, doesn't need to be patched :) . But, like in rFactor 1, you can download mods for GSC. Plus, the stock GSC content has much higher polygon count and other system demands than the stock rF1 content. Also, there are tons of track and car mods for GSC as well; I'm not sure why you would assume that one would only run stock content with GSC.
The problem happened, most often, with big tracks and lots of opponents.

Nah. There's no real quality mods exclusively for GSC, so there's no real point in downloading mods converted from rFactor 1 to GSC and screwing up the standard GSC.

They work better in rfactor 1 in some cases anyway, and never work better in GSC.

What if the mod was previously converted from pCARS or Simraceway? Does that still makes it that bad and not on par with GSCE standards?

Then you can still play it in rFactor as well, since it would probably have been converted to there first. ;)

And who said anything about GSC's standards? If you read properly, you'll actually understand that I mean that you don't need to screw with GSC if you can just as well play it in rFactor 1, since it will give you the same result, and rFactor 1 is made for modding, but GSC is more a stock game with set menus etc. for the default game.

Let me know if I should draw you pictures and **** too.

Easy man :), not everyone knows how mods work, especially regarding "official" content on other games, and all that legal crap. Some people are new to this stuff or just don't know as much as some others about it.

It would be wrong to assume they use up to 4GB because, again, almost every other pre-rFactor 2 ISI engine based sim could only use up to 2GB of system RAM without the 4GB patch applied.

With Windows XP, we can circumvent the virtual Address space limit by doing two things:
- patch the executable to "handle more than 2gb address space"
- use the /3gb switch in the boot.ini

On a 64 bit windows , if you mark a 32bit application as Large Address aware, you may enable it to get more 3GB.

Moreover, through the use of AWE's, programs can handle more than 4GB of physical memory. Obviously, the AWE API must be used and the operating system must support AWE's (XP Home does not, iirc).

And indeed you're correct, ISIMotor2-based sims (from rF to SIMBIN sims) have to be patched to circumvent that limit in 32bit or 64 bit windows. Can't recall if GSC is already marked as LAA app, though.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years