Cars 3DSimed breaks other stuff when I try to fix the windscreen on a mod car.

McGherkin

Premium
So I've got a mod car which has a windscreen that doesn't work with CSP rain, the rain just falls inside the car and the glass isn't affected. Opening the fbx (exported from CM) in 3DSimEd shows it to have only one window layer. No big deal, clone, flip, paint in new material, set shade to ksWindscreen, profit. Loads in Assetto and whilst the drops don't actually move around the glass etc the rain does sit on the window, which is an improvement.

However, despite me touching nothing to do with any of them, this touch up in 3DSimEd breaks the dash needles which sit completely out of alignment with the gauges, and the brake light and headlight textures. I'm not really sure how this is being broken by 3DSimEd.

Anyone got any ideas? (or who can just fix the car for me for some beer tokens?)

You don’t need to open the model in 3DSimEd. You can replace the shader, move the cockpit and objects getting rained on inside the cockpit node. All through CSP!
3dsimed is probably breaking the hierarchy of the model
if the car is lacking any interior window mesh, CSP alone won't help here. Or is there a command to clone a mesh, invert normals and set a new shader?

You might need to open it for that, but you shouldn't overwrite the original kn5, just add an additional one with your new inside mesh.

I'm still absolutely none the wiser in how to fix this. I had a look at doing it in Blender but it seemed like it would cause as many issues as it fixed.

Update. Got it working in 3DSMax, and I think the shaders are now correct. However, I'm now having an issue with wipers.

When I export the FBX I have to change the scale (metres to inches) of the car because it appears huge otherwise. I've tried doing it on import too and I can get the car to appear in Assetto at the right size etc (although 3DSMax thinks the car is 100mm long), but when I attach the wiper animation in kseditor either the wiper objects are huge and the same scale as what they would be if I didn't fix the scale on the model, or they are the right size but very broken - the rear wiper starts in the right place, but just flickers between left and right, the front wipers, well one's sticking up through the bonnet and wiggles a bit and the other's nowhere to be seen.

Anyone who can help would be very much appreciated.
wiper in 3dsmax.png
wiper in kseditor.png

Update. Got it working in 3DSMax, and I think the shaders are now correct. However, I'm now having an issue with wipers.

When I export the FBX I have to change the scale (metres to inches) of the car because it appears huge otherwise. I've tried doing it on import too and I can get the car to appear in Assetto at the right size etc (although 3DSMax thinks the car is 100mm long), but when I attach the wiper animation in kseditor either the wiper objects are huge and the same scale as what they would be if I didn't fix the scale on the model, or they are the right size but very broken - the rear wiper starts in the right place, but just flickers between left and right, the front wipers, well one's sticking up through the bonnet and wiggles a bit and the other's nowhere to be seen.

Anyone who can help would be very much appreciated.
View attachment 406755View attachment 406756
when you import the FBX in MAX, you have to pay attention to the model's scale, in the import dialog. then scroll down and change the import unit to match the model's scale. Pretty sure 3Dsimed exports in centimeters, so you have to change the FBX import units to centimeters as well.

Then when you export, you can use 1 - meter scale and will look normal in AC

Last edited:
Sorry this model was re-exported from the original .KN5 using Content Manager. I have set the scaling upon import - which allows exporting at 1.0 scale factor and I have set the scaling on export. Either way, it doesn’t work.

Sorry this model was re-exported from the original .KN5 using Content Manager. I have set the scaling upon import - which allows exporting at 1.0 scale factor and I have set the scaling on export. Either way, it doesn’t work.
Just re-reading your original post.. yeah, changing from metric to imperial will cause issues, and theres no need to. Reset MAX to 1 unit - 1 meter.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Just tried that. Resaved both the car and car_wiper fbx's in metric, animation still working fine in 3DSMax (and the car_wiper saved as an animation) and it's still broken upon import into ksEditor.

Just tried that. Resaved both the car and car_wiper fbx's in metric, animation still working fine in 3DSMax (and the car_wiper saved as an animation) and it's still broken upon import into ksEditor.
Then Im not sure... But one thing to check is that you are exporting the dummy as well as the mesh with your animated FBX

Yeah, the dummies and meshes are all tree'd correctly. It seems somewhere along the way the axes are being flipped? The model is saved as Y up axes.

Could you take a look at the files sometime?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back