3d Printing

G-Slev

Rubbish Racer & Amateur Motorsport Photographer
Premium
So, I've just been given a Monoprice Selec Mini Pro 3d printer for my birthday. I am just running a test print, but my plan is to use it to 3d print bits and bobs for simracing DIY projects.

Is anyone here into 3d printing, and if so, could you point me to any useful resources please?

Hi,
Check out:
Grabcad
Thingiverse
There is a thread in a German forum with multiple resources:

Cheers Dan

Upvote 0
So, I've just been given a Monoprice Selec Mini Pro 3d printer for my birthday. I am just running a test print, but my plan is to use it to 3d print bits and bobs for simracing DIY projects.

Is anyone here into 3d printing, and if so, could you point me to any useful resources please?

Been into it for a very long time. At one time I printed almost 24/7, but now mostly when I need something. Here is a great website for finding what you need to print.

Edit: I just noticed someone else already posted this. I would recommend you bookmark this site. It will be your friend.

Also, Simplify 3D is a fantastic slicer. It is pricy, but IMO is by far the best I have used, and worth every penny.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some tips:

1. PLA is the easiest to print with.
2. PLA love glass bed (direct, no tape, no glue) at 60 degree (I don't know if you can change into that!)
3. Fusion 360 (3D design) still available for free for non commercial use.
4. Cura (Slicer) is also free for most printers. Check it out to see if yours is supported.
5. the slower you print, the higher chance of getting a good print. (I usually print at 50mm/s)
6. Your room temperature must over 20 degree when print.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is something that will help tell you what is going wrong with your prints. It is a good guide.

Things to keep in mind.

1. Bed needs to be level.
2. First layer is the most important. Layer hight and bed level is very important here.
3. Temperature of bed and filament. You can play around with this, but most filament has a heat range listed on it. PLA bed temp typically around 60C, and ABS 100C.
4. Start with PLA as it is easier to print.
5. ABS is stronger, and what I use for most Sim Racing parts. I like PTEG, but not all printers support, and I have PEI on my bed, and PTEG can have a hard time coming off.
6. If having trouble with filament not sticking to the bed you can use painters tape, or glue stick to help.

After you learn to get that first layer right all the other stuff is much easier. Good luck, your journey will be a rewarding one :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the tips. I am already thinking my print bed is too small for some of the things I want to print!

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the tips. I am already thinking my print bed is too small for some of the things I want to print!
Your printer will always be too small no matter how big it is. The art of 3d design is how to print your design in multiple small components and assemble them into a solid piece with sounded structure!

Upvote 0
If you're a diy guy, you'll find lots to use it for.

Just tonight, I printed a set of air straighteners for my cockpit speed blowers, and a case for the electronics. Next up is a cup holder, and VR headset holder for the rig.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My favorite prints are the most lame. Toothpaste squeezy thing to get all the toothpaste from the tube, chip clips, spinner thingies, little toys for my niece and nephew.

For my sim rig...I have printed gear shift knobs, clamp to hold my direct drive wire back, mount for my phone that acts as a button box, Oculus Rift mount (however, don't race with this any longer, so not on my rig)

Here may be my next print, but just can't see that holding up well in the pocket ;).

1603560811263.png

Upvote 0
Toothpaste squeezy thing to get all the toothpaste from the tube
I could not believe how many people have posted designs for that!

If you are into coding at all @G-Slev , then I can recommend checking out OpenSCAD for doing designs. It has a few drawbacks, but I'm now a complete convert as I can knock up designs so much quicker in it than I can Fusion 360 and they are so easy to make fully parameterised. I miss the measurement tool, but it's a small price to pay.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing