31inch Screen vs Oculus Rift S

Hi everyone!
I'm new to simracing. Have been playing racing games for a long time, but only with controller. Recently I bought a G29 and AC and: OMG, pure fun!
My actual Monitor ist 24' HD; Computer I7 9750H, 16MB RAM, Nvidia 1660Ti.

My Question: I struggle to decide which upgrade makes more sense in terms of immersion vs. usability: A 31' 21:9 Monitor or Oculus Rift S?
Also, I'm not sure wether my Gaming Laptop really can handle the Oculus Rift well enough. So, any Ideas what I should buy? Can my Computer handle the VR? (Actually, thats 2 questions)
Thx for answers!

Last edited:
I think your card might be a not very decent one for VR. Maybe using AC without SOL graphics mods and stuff and tweaking settings could work.
"A gaming laptop"is mostly an oxymoron unless you invest A LOT of money.
I used Rift CV1 with a 1060. Live improved when I could afford a 1080.

But my suggestion is for you to try out a VR headset, from a site/shop where putting it back is no issue. It´s an awesome experience, but low fps induce motion sickness.

Upvote 0
VR and only VR. I had triple but when I tried VR I never looked behind. I have the Oculus S and I love it. 2080ti with all setting high/pp AA-3 and SS-200% and it’s 80fps steady.

Upvote 0
I've got an index and had a vive in the past, VR is an amazing experience but not great for long sessions. The index is the only peice of kit that I would consider "usable" for more than an hour and even then it's considerably less chill than an UW, Triples (I've never had these, but I'm assuming). or a large screen.

Upvote 0
I have both triples and an Oculus S and enjoy both but I think everyone is giving you pretty good advice regarding the limits of your system. A good monitor is probably much better for what you have. However racing is VR is an experience not to be missed unless it is a problem for you ( I can race in VR for hours but I know that isn't true for a lot of people). First off, the Rift S is a big upgrade over the CV1 which I used until recently and the vive Index is also very nice. But I still think you would be better off with a nice size monitor. I just bought some MSI Mag321CQR monitors and they are excellent for racing. Slightly curved, 32", and 2560x1440. Using one bigger monitor would improve your experience without having to upgrade everything else and it wouldn't be too expensive. Good luck and welcome to the Sim Racing community.

Upvote 0
I am a big VR fan, the immersion is just amazing, so my advice is try it before committing to anything, I’m my city, and I am sure they are almost every where now, we have a place where you can SIM race, it is perfect to try VR, or motion, or DD wheel.

Upvote 0
This.
I took a $400 dive into VR sickness and found it terrible. Some love it, some don't. I love triples.

I was able to get an Oculus Rift S as a loaner; I have a high end rig (i9-9900k@5ghz, 2080ti, 32Gb). I only tried Dirt Rally 2.0, and I nearly puked after 1 minute. It was cool to look around and looking out the windows was great, and sliding sideways and looking in the direction of movement -- great! -- until I nearly got sick.

I have an IPD of 59.5 -- maybe that is part of the problem? Also, things seemed very, very blurry. Menus are also a pain in VR, but I understand this is variable per game. I am back to my Alienware AW3420DW 34". Waiting to find out about the Samsung Odyssey G9 49", also considering triples.

Cheers,
Dominic

Upvote 0
Testing VR side ways in dirt2 is the equivalent of going on a boat for the first in the storm of the century, no surprise you got sea sick. A better way would have been a slower car on a track like Silverstone driving normally looking forward. We all had to get our sea legs before going sideways in rally sim in VR. Once you are used to VR you are feeling uncomfortable and can enjoy the amazing VR sim experience.

Upvote 0
Testing VR side ways in dirt2 is the equivalent of going on a boat for the first in the storm of the century, no surprise you got sea sick. A better way would have been a slower car on a track like Silverstone driving normally looking forward. We all had to get our sea legs before going sideways in rally sim in VR. Once you are used to VR you are feeling uncomfortable and can enjoy the amazing VR sim experience.

Yeah, I talked to a friend more experienced with VR at work today who said basically the same thing. I am about to build my rig (P1-X will be here any day), I'll revisit VR once that is all setup.

Thanks for your feedback.

djm

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline