rF2 2h WEC @ Nürburgring 24h - Saturday 31st January 2015

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Awesome racing this evening. Had two exams on Friday so didn't do much practice before today. Improved my PB by 8 seconds in the quali which was nice and the race went also pretty well, finishing sixth. Thanks everyone for this great event and see you in the next one. :)

... then someone in front of me got overtaken, and slowed down mid corner I think for a cutback and that made me spin trying to avoid it....
Sorry about that, that didn't quite go according to plan. I didn't want to hold Christian up, so let him take the inside. But then I got caught out by how slippy it was on the right side there, and had to slow way down to stay out of the wall. :redface:

I was looking forward to this event. But it wasn't my day. I woke up with a sore throat. :sick: I changed to the Leon instead of the SLS. Didn't work out to well...

So i think we should do it ... Again! ... Please :unsure:

BTW: night time was :inlove:.

Sorry about that, that didn't quite go according to plan. I didn't want to hold Christian up, so let him take the inside. But then I got caught out by how slippy it was on the right side there, and had to slow way down to stay out of the wall. :redface:
no problem, I lost controll myself and it probably made my race lots more fun :D

Great stuff.

Going to the loo at my second stop had a domino effect.
I was planning 4,3,3 4 lap stints. But needed the loo at the second stop. I decided to change strategy and fill the car to have more time in the bathroom.
I retuned to a full car sitting ready and poss 10 sec lost. This later rejoin put me behind Tal and Andrew.
Nice battle with Tal and one small error and I was through. Could not do the same to Andre.
Apologies to @Andre Gaida who was making good pace in front of me in my second last stint. I couldnt get past him despite parking on his bumper for more than a lap.

I really should have chilled out and just enjoyed the tow as I was on a 4 lap stint and needed to look after tyres and he was pitting a lap later anyway. But no-after thinking "as long as I'm on his bumper onto the long straight, Ill get a good tow from the Camaro" then enjoying that tow which gave me 270kph instead of 262. I just couldnt be smart enough to allow him more room for braking. I tapped him at the end of the braking zone. So I drove past him and pulled off onto the grass and waited till he got going again. Then I couldnt get it off the grass, so had to go cross country a little. 2 or three cars passed me by.

My original strategy would have had me in clear air 15 kg lighter and probably giving some grief to April and Yuri.

The fun part was after my final stop I rejoined +22 sec from the lead GTR and with just 3 laps of fuel. I made up 21 sec of that and was on his bumper as we finished.
P11 was ok too.

We GTR guys didn't have to trouble ourselves with pesky decisions about tyre strategy we needed a set every stop.

Awesome race, awesome track, lighting, big grid. Good driving It was Epic.
Thanks @Daiman Patel and
@Frederic Schornstein
for your work.

BTW where did all the AMG SLS's go. Was there a sale on for gold chains and toupe's somewhere and they stopped?

30kg off the GTR?

Thats what I call a starting grid :)
GRAB_035.jpg

T1
GRAB_027.jpg

Dunlop hairpin
GRAB_031.jpg

The field going onto the Nordschleife look at that train :D
First cars are entering Hatzenbach and the last cars are in the NGK chicane.
GRAB_054.jpg

Last edited:
[
. Could not do the same to Andre.
Apologies to @Andre Gaida who was making good pace in front of me in my second last stint. I couldnt get past him despite parking on his bumper for more than a lap.

I really should have chilled out and just enjoyed the tow as I was on a 4 lap stint and needed to look after tyres and he was pitting a lap later anyway. But no-after thinking "as long as I'm on his bumper onto the long straight, Ill get a good tow from the Camaro" then enjoying that tow which gave me 270kph instead of 262. I just couldnt be smart enough to allow him more room for braking. I tapped him at the end of the braking zone. So I drove past him and pulled off onto the grass and waited till he got going again. Then I couldnt get it off the grass, so had to go cross country a little. 2 or three cars passed me by.

A
Thanks @Daiman Patel and
@Frederic Schornstein
for your work.

BTW where did all the AMG SLS's go. Was there a sale on for gold chains and toupe's somewhere and they stopped?

30kg off the GTR?

Ah ok you were the little villain.:laugh: I mixed it up with Miroslav. You were faster than me, and it was a lot of fun to keep you behind, but it was very difficult on the old tire set, which i used from the beginning till the end of the whole race. So yeah the long straight was like holiday for me.:whistling:

Dissapointing Race for me...started pretty nice with a good start...think i gained two positions and were on 6th place....well but then Matt Richards decided to drive me off the Track at the first Lap in Turn 4....in a 2 hour race :rolleyes: so i lost 5 positions and were in p11...then got back a bit to p6 i think again and then my computer switched to the desktop on the döttinger höhe due to a print driver message..:D....i tried to get into the game but then rf2 exe crashed...and after that i were 2 laps behind...whyever 2...continued for a bit of fun but as i had no one to race it was a bit boring....sad cause i think i had the pace to get back to the front runners....but overall i think the camaro needs to get a bit of adjustment on the tire wear...you guys only changed once right? with the corvette you nearly had to change every stop as you have like 8%/laps...or even more when you are really pushing it. Maybe a little bit more drag would'nt be bad as well, but just a little bit.

Thanks guys for the hard but fair fights! And a big Cake for the organisators of this event. That was my best race i've ever had!

Wow...

But i had a few big server lags. My screen freezes two times for more rhan two seconds while driving the fuchsroehre and wippermann.

@Frederic Schornstein
and THE NOISE I forgot to write about the noise.
As I entered the Nordschleife proper 14th in that long train of cars in your last screen shot I heard a noise I have never heard in RF2. I've heard it at Bathurst IRL as a full grid of V8 Supercars headed up Mountain straight on lap 1. The sound made by that second half of that 18,000 horse horse power grid was IMMENSE. I heard them to my left and had to look. All I saw was labels the cars were out of view. The way the game accurately rendered the sounds of the cars that I couldnt even see as the headed up the uphill straight to the chicane on the short circuit made me draw a sharp intake of breath. It was real. Sounded like a cavalry charge, 26 cars on full noise ready to drive by if the slightest of errors were made.

Last edited:
@Frederic Schornstein
and THE NOISE I forgot to write about the noise.
As I entered the Nordschleife proper 14th in that long tain of cars in your last screen shot I heard a noise I have never geard in RF2. The sound made by that second half of that 18,000 horse horse power grid was IMMENSE. I heard them to my left and had to look. All I saw was labels the cars were out of view. The way the game accurately rendered the sounds of the cars that I couldnt even see as the headed up the uphill straight to the chicane on the short circuit made me draw a sharp intake of breath. It was real. Sounded like a cavalry charge, 26 cars on full noise ready to drive by if the slightest of errors were made.
Being one of the people you are referring to it was the same for us but obviously it was you guys making all the noise. It was a pretty special event really, 44 starters on a track that has an enormous reputation. The creators (all of them) have done an amazing job even with some of the things that need to be adjusted or fixed. The campfires, tents and signs all created an amazing atmosphere, especially at night and made visiting that armco barrier not so bad. :) we talked about it on TS but it was something else when the sun was setting, the track looked amazing as long as it wasn't in your eyes at a braking point. :thumbsup: Seriously probably the best race for me so far in rf2, It really had it all in my opinion. ;)

First a big thanx for @Daiman Patel and @Frederic Schornstein for organizing this epic event. It was a real adventure and hope this see it back in the future.

My first 2 qualy runs we ruined by impatient aliens who kept flashing their headlights... I was was on a "not so" hotlap too! :p My 3rd try was my personal best, so I could calm down a bit. :p

Race start was good, vould avoid the coming together of cars at the start/finish straight. In the Dunlop Curve Daiman went wide and I had the inside line, inside Daiman's blind spot and I was bumped off. :D Lost a few places and kept on going.
In the Flugplatz Curve there was a slow Corvette. I went passed him and when I was alongside I felt a little bump. I slowed down and waited for a black vette to pass me. When I looked in my rear view mirrors I saw a airborne car. After the race I checked that moment and the little bump was with @Steve Combey . I am so sorry mate, I really thought I left enough space on the inside, apparently I didn't. :notworthy::poop::redface::thumbsdown:
I drove my laps, mostly with no cars nearby. At the end I had a battle with Peter. We were like yo yo's. I was behind him, till he made a little mistake and I could pass. Then he was behind me, I made a mistake and he could pass... Yup that was fun. Somewhere in the race I got stuck side ways on the curb and could not move forward and/or backward. The car was sliding inch by inch, so when I finially was "free" Peter came around the corner and we collided, but thankfully no damage.

It was epic fun and hope to see you guys on track soon again. :)

Last edited:
Dissapointing Race for me...started pretty nice with a good start...think i gained two positions and were on 6th place....well but then Matt Richards decided to drive me off the Track at the first Lap in Turn 4....in a 2 hour race :rolleyes: so i lost 5 positions and were in p11...then got back a bit to p6 i think again and then my computer switched to the desktop on the döttinger höhe due to a print driver message..:D....i tried to get into the game but then rf2 exe crashed...and after that i were 2 laps behind...whyever 2...continued for a bit of fun but as i had no one to race it was a bit boring....sad cause i think i had the pace to get back to the front runners....but overall i think the camaro needs to get a bit of adjustment on the tire wear...you guys only changed once right? with the corvette you nearly had to change every stop as you have like 8%/laps...or even more when you are really pushing it. Maybe a little bit more drag would'nt be bad as well, but just a little bit.
Yes, I thought tire wear would give the Camaro a big advantage before the race. The Corvette and GT-R will definetely loose a bit of weight and the Camaro has to gain a bit. I will look into tire wear as well, which is a good idea, but in the race there was no big advantage by not changing tires. I didnt change them, but Lars did at the stop and at the end of the stint we entered the pits with exactly the same gap. I will do a few adjustments in the next few days. The BOP is ok for qualy, but the Camaro shouldnt be able to qualy on pole.

Extended Highlights.
This is the unedited version. If you like it short and sharp go to the next post. If you like a bit of drama and colour you might like it.
Plans:
I did quite a bit of testing (that's just me, I like it and I need it!).
Motec said I could be more aggressive on brake cooling as I went to highest optimum temp only at two points on the circuit. One was the hairpin on the short circuit. Also temps were below optimum at many other points (405-695 deg) where a short jab of brakes was pretty useful. Needing any tiny aero advantage to mix it with the Camaro on the long straights I lowered it to minimum. I would manage the hairpin with more engine braking.

I had practiced pit entry and checked the time difference between a 65 litre fill and a 51 litre fill.
I knew my fuel use over a stint (4 laps left me 1 litre at pit entry).
Mental note-Need to make sure I have 17 litres on pit straight as I start my “in lap” or fuel save to be safe.
The car would need 3 stops but not 4 X 4 lap stints. Only two of them and then two of 3 laps to make the calculated race distance of 14 laps.
It was worth short fuelling for the 3 lap stints as the few seconds less of filling time (might jump someone!) and the 15 litres less weight all helped that little bit on that “sprint stint”.
Where to put which?
Settled on a strategy of..
4 65 litres(planned to be patient and consistent in the opening laps, watch tyres and avoid problems, so no sense r”unning light”)
3 51 litres(hope for clear air and a chance to “sprint”
3 51 litres(same)
4 65 litres (see where I am on pace and bring it home)

Quali

In Qualifying a PB of 8:43 put me P14 which I felt said more about the talent on the grid than my performance. Four days ago my PB was 8:54, later it was 8:47. So an 8:43 will do thanks. The 3 top drivers went 8:29. Wow.
Maybe I can get a top 10 in the race?

An improvement of .25 sec would have gained me 3 places but my last attempt failed to capitalise on a .5 sec improvement in S1 and 2 as I erred late in S2. Also did I really want two more fast guys on my gearbox in stint 1? Not really so I stopped and worked on something I was still not happy with. Starts and 1st gear ratio.

I had a longer 1st gear for quali which was nice and useful in the lap but bogged badly at the start. Did I need the shorter gearing? I certainly didn't want 2 or 3 drivers of similar pace to jump me at the start and then find myself behind them for 4 laps.
I found if I slipped the clutch mercilessly rather than dropping it I would maintain revs and get a good start in the longer 1st gear. Good news. Job done.

Start:
Got away fine with the new found clutch technique. Kept it safe and smooth as planned.
and THE NOISE I must write about the noise.
As I entered the Nordschleife proper 14th in that long train of 41 cars I heard a noise I have never heard in RF2. I've heard it at Bathurst IRL as a full grid of V8 Supercars headed up Mountain straight on lap 1.
The sound made by that second half of that 18,000 horse horse power grid was IMMENSE. I heard them to my left and had to look. All I saw was labels the cars were out of view. The way the game accurately rendered the sounds of cars that I couldn't even see as the headed up the uphill straight “Hatzenbachbogen” to the chicane on the short circuit made me draw a sharp intake of breath. It was real. Sounded like a cavalry charge, 26 cars on full noise ready to drive by if the slightest of errors were made.Made my skin tingle.

A few drivers had moments in the opening laps and I gained places. Couple of pesky Camaros on my gearbox. One of them had a moment, later I turned on labels to check and found it was @Stefan Erxmeyer that remained, my great protagonist from Bathurst months ago, and a good driver. I shouldn't have done that. I tightened up and made an error in the approach to the (Zufahrt?) bridge at the bottom of the valley. Stefan was through.
I chased hard and got close and any Camaro is a good Camaro to hitch a tow from Dottinger Hohe to the pit straight.

The Rest:
End of lap 3 and a fuel check showed 16 litres. Marginal, now needed to short shift for to be sure. This meant Stefan pulled 3- 4 sec and offered no tow this time round. The GTR felt a bit lonely and slow in the wind on the final straight.
Still I pitted from P9. Things were going fine here.
Rejoined in P11 as some Camaro's had not stopped.

Stint 2 was good and pitted P10. On target. I think I saw Christian Michel in this stint recovering from his PC issues. He appeared behind me and I figured no sense in racing him as he was at least a lap down and so I slowed and allowed him by.

Stint 3:
Here the problems began. I changed my carefully crafted strategy and ran a 4 lap fill so I could go to the bathroom. It was still not long enough and I hurried back onto the track having lost places to April, Dennis, Yuri, Andre Gaida, and Tal. I was P14.

I closed on Tal and we had some mega close racing. After a half lap of about .25 sec gap I managed to squeeze by at Tal ran a little wide on the exit of Klostertal (B4 Karousel).
Surely I could do the same to Andre Gaida? who was now making good and similar pace to Tal in front of me.
I couldn't get past him despite parking on his bumper for more than a lap. Nice drive. It was costing me about 5 sec a lap but Andre was inch perfect on worn tyres and there were no errors. The consolation was I had hitched another tow on the long final straight.

I really should have chilled out and just enjoyed the tow as I was on a 4 lap stint and needed to look after tyres and he was pitting a lap later anyway. But no-after thinking "as long as I'm on his bumper onto the long straight, Ill get a good tow from the Camaro" then enjoying that tow which gave me 270kph instead of 262. I just couldn’t be smart enough to allow him more room for braking. I tapped him at the end of the braking zone. So I drove past him and pulled off onto the grass and waited till he got going again. Then I couldn't get it off the grass, so had to go cross country a little 2 or three cars passed me by.

Strategy change plus 10 sec on track, driver error plus at least that again DOH:sick:.

The conclusion:
Stint 4:
With the improvised strategy was now a “sprint stint”. It would need to be.
I rejoined P11 and +22 sec from @Marcel Kühnel in another GTR. He had two things I wanted. A top 10 result and (what I thought at the time was )a “Class Win”. As first GTR home. (in Fact @Marçal Bonet Andreu took this with a great P4) This would be a challenge. No need to watch tyres, no traffic other than lapped cars.
End of lap 12 the gap was 15 sec. Maybe I could do it?
End of lap 13 the gap was 7 sec, it was going to be close.
I got close at the entry to the final straight and there was no speed advantage either way.
Marcel held his cool and took P10 by 1 sec.
Still I set a new PB (edit and 6th fastest driver on lap time)on the final lap so can't be sad.
Phew that was a race.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%