rF2 2h WEC GT Racing @ São Paulo - Saturday 14th March 2015

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
This was fantastic! :D

This is the first time I've raced here, I finished in P5 (I was the black and teal Ferrari), I'm more than happy with that. The length of the race is phenomenal, I really like this endurance racing. I joined teamspeak 5 minutes before qualifying, but didn't have a microphone at hand, I'll try and get one next time. You guys chatting was another new element for me, really exciting at times. I especially appreciated an aussie accent that sounded just like Mark Webber (for an untrained ear I suppose), I think it was David.

I tried all the cars and felt most comfortable and quickest in the Ferrari, but I didn't develop the setup other than lowering the ride height and setting engine and braking to: 9000 revs (max), high radiator, 55kgf for braking and 20% closed. I have no idea which numbers would be borderline for reliability, I hope to test that for next time.

Qualified P8, I was really careful at the start, and the others were too, which was great to see. In the beginning I was hanging on to the leading pack, with a red BMW (Matt I think) chasing me, and passing me once or twice. With all the talk about 2-stopping and me on an easy one stop (2,1L per lap and tyres which could do at least 50 laps) I was hopeful of a good position in the end. In this phase I made minor contact with David (I think) on the climb to the back straight. David was catching me out of the last corner and got on the inside after the exit. I couldn't judge how far alongside he was, I tried to leave -some- room, maybe a car's width but didn't want to go too much off-line to not lose control and spin into him due to the camber change mid-corner. As I turned in, I think my rear left hit his right front. I wasn't sure what to do, and because I wasn't sure of the blame, I didn't slow down for him, rather I let him catch up with superior pace and let him past on a straight. I hope that was OK.

Coming from F1, the pitstops are really long! :O I went for a 40-36 strategy (with overfueling in the second stint to be on the safe side). In the second stint I was mainly alone on the track, racing with the clock. About 20 minutes from the end, I heard something like "I'm 15 seconds behind, there's 15 laps to go and I'm catching him a second per lap", and it turns out it was David catching me :O. He had the softer and newer tyres for now in the Nissan, so that was to be expected. I tried to drive my race and not overdrive too much.

Some 7 laps from the end, I made a mistake, braking too late into T6 and loosing control on the marbles and locking the wheels for a moment. Luckily no damage, but the tyres were flatspotted. I don't know yet how much that affects laptime. And immediately I heard comments, "number four made an error somewhere, a biig shunt", "you're pressuring him, you'll get past", that was funny because you guys didn't know I was listening :D. 3 laps later the changing shadows caught me out, I got accustomed to braking at one particular shadow into T4, but all of a sudden they were all over the track. The comments were funny too "oh another error, I caught right up to him" and "bad luck to make an error at the end of such a long race, followed by a sarcastic laugh" :D. After David caught up to me, within a lap or two I missed the braking completely into T4 again and he got past. I didn't feel pressured, but I didn't like making such silly mistakes. Still, I think I did great for the first time. The funniest quote was probably in the penultimate lap "yeeeah, tell you what, that Ferrari is hanging on to me, pressure my a**" :D. In the last few corners I was right on his gearbox, his car kicking up dust from the edge of the circuit, but I couldn't get past. A thrilling finish to a great race, thanks to everyone who participated and congratulations to the winner. :)

Also, I hear I'm locking my tyres under braking, can someone share on advice on how to monitor that while driving? In open-wheelers it's immediately obvious from the smoke, but in the Ferrari I had no idea, other than looking at the tyre temps, but I thought they were still in the OK zone (not over 130 °C after braking)

@Joao Fernandes how different strategies can be :D

I had an excellent start form P5 to P2. For a second i though about maybe trying to jump into P1 but cold tires and brakes gave me the decision to stay in P2.

For there the defense fighting start :cool:. Fightet a lot against Frederic, Joao, David and Marc in the opening lap. After a few laps Marc passed but had bad luck with his disconnect. So i was in P1. I knew some of the guy behind me would do 2 stops and i was planing to do only 1. So my target was to keep them behind as long as possible :whistling:.
But after 20min i realized that a the fighting hurts my tires a lot. After Joao and Frederic went by i only tried to manage my tires to the half time. But in the last 15min of my first stint Matt caught me and also went past. But i could stay relative close to him. I pitted to laps later but missed my spot. So i think i lost ca. 10sec there.
I reentered the track with maybe 15sec behind Matt. I could keep the gap to Joao and Frederic in front of us and slowly closed to gap to Matt. Then i the end while i was still trying to catch Matt there was again Joao on my tail. And so our struggle from the opening laps continued in the closing laps. Maybe i could have catched Matt without this fight. But this way i could only defend instead of thinking of P1.

I had a lot of fun and many hard battles :thumbsup:

After Joao pitted the second time I knew I could bring it home and left as I had problems with my stomach before the race and felt pretty bad with 50min to go.

Just a questiom for the GT-R drivers was the fuel tank to small for a one stop strategy or was it to have fresher tires?
It was tyres, the fuel would have worked.

Freddy, after 25 laps my front tyres were on 16% and indriveable. The notion of doing 37 laps was just not on. I know @Simon Christmann feels that if the Vette can do with the same tyres the Nissan can but personally I dont think so.

It was a great race and full credit to Freddy for his BOP. The GTR was faster but you needed a perfect run to use that and make up for the extra stop.

I had the thrill of my first pole in a race in RD after trading pole a few times in the session.
But a drive through for rolling backwards at the start put my first stint under more pressure than ideal. Instead of making a gap to pay for my extra stop I did my drive through and re-entered dead last. The next 12 laps were fun as I fought my way back to the front and by lap 12 was in a fight for the lead with Joao and Simon. I think that tells me the win was possibly on. Joao had a moment in T2 which let me slip under him and then Simon and I had a mis understanding in the run to T3 about who was going which side of the track and a spin and damaged tyres resulted. I rejoined in P9 and had to chase again.

The Nissan had pace but it came at a cost of tyre wear. Once the weight and power had done their thing to the tyres the lap time eroded.

After the stops Joao had really found his groove in the GTR and while I was pondering how long it would take to catch him I was flicking through the MFD and saw he held the fastest lap! Hmmmm, maybe not.

After the second stop I rejoined in P6 and had to push.
Ante in the Ferrari 458 was metronomic in his consistency and with about 15 laps to go he was 15 sec ahead.
The beauty of RF2 is you have to decide, " do I use the tyres now or save them" I had to sprint or P4 was lost.
Simon was chasing @Matt Horst for the win, but Joao was putting Simon under pressure for P2.
@Stefan Woudenberg found a good rythm in the GTR and save for his disconnect would have been on the lead lap too.

I chased Ante down and got the pass, the Nissan felt strong, BUT it had used the tyres and once I was ahead the tyres were gone. My advantage of over 1 sec a lap had deteriorated and I couldn't sahke him. My fronts were at 16% and turn entry was by appointment only.
I held on - just. a lap or two more and I could not.
So P4 and plus 39 sec after 75 laps a drive through and 3 spins.
As Joao alluded a perfect run was needed in the GTR to make that gap in stint 1. With that a win was possible even with a 2 stop.

P1-5 were 39 sec apart.
So there were multiple battles over the closing laps of a 2 hours race.
Big well done to Freddy.

Thanks all a great pleasure.

@Wolff Lynx
great write up there sir. and yes a great debut drive, well done.
About the contact, racing incident i guess, my move there was poss not the highest percentage move on the chess board, so no stress.
and yes I was the Aussie and a Webber fan so cheers.
Hope we werent too cheeky in team speak, join us next time.

I decided to join this race just before quali since i had nothing else going on in my life today and was kinda itching to race.I did not expect to much out of myself,but quali was an hour long and that gave me enough time to get some practice and develop a setup.By the end of quali i found pace and was in the ballpark of the rest of the field.I think i started 6'th if I'm not mistaken.

Race start was clean but i got caught out in a bad spot on the outside of turn 1 and lost a few positions.No big deal i figured in a 2 hour race,so just went to work taking what i could when i could.Had a real nice battle with ante Markic and @David O'Reilly in the first stint,giving up positions with the only real mistake i had when a missing sign i was using for a breaking marker got ran over by somebody and i went to deep into the corner.Put my head down and drove on getting back the positions and more eventually catching @Simon Christmann and getting by when he made a little mistake into turn 1.Pit stop could have been better and nearly drove past the pits when i realized at the last second i was down to less than two liters of fuel.Then i overshot my pitbox by several meters and had to back up.That all cost me probably 20 seconds witch i could have used with my tight fuel situation.

Second stint was more about consistent laps and saving tires and fuel.Not really any battles or close racing but instead a constant eye on fuel state,gaps and time left.I found myself in first place,i think after @Frederic Schornstein left.Simon was in chase mode and with the fuel saving i was forced into i would give up a lot of my gap to Simon.I caught a break when Simon was forced into a fight with Joao for second position witch slowed him down.So it would all come down to weather i had the fuel.I saved just enough and crossed the line with 0.4 gallons left.

Great race and much better result than i expected.Great driving from a lot of guys today.Very enjoyable race!:)

Last edited:
Well, could have been a really fun race as my consistency was really good 1:33's and low 1:34's.

In the video from Freddy you can see that I was "pushed off" track at 4:47 and also on 5:14 by the light green GTR as I was along side on the right of him. I just could keep it out of the wall. I was not happy with that move.... :( I lost 5 spots there and 2 laps later got a DC :mad:.

When I reconnected I was already 2.5 laps back. I drove my laps consistent and gained 1 spot, later I was closing on Daiman, but it never came to a battle as he had to leave. Overall a lonely race and was happy when it was over.
One to forget quickly, had fun TS though which eased the "pain" a little.

@Stefan Woudenberg That was me in the green GTR. I'm sorry about that i really didn't saw you. :redface: As you can see i was battling with Simon and was focused on following on his draft so i could recover from the lost speed after trying to overtake him. I should have looked in the mirror to see if someone was going on the outside it was my bad.

@Stefan Woudenberg That was me in the green GTR. I'm sorry about that i really didn't saw you. :redface: As you can see i was battling with Simon and was focused on following on his draft so i could recover from the lost speed after trying to overtake him. I should have looked in the mirror to see if someone was going on the outside it was my bad.

No worries Joao.:thumbsup: At the moment I was not happy, but I was way more unhappy about the DC (my first in a rF2 race), which killed my race completely. There was no way to race back into the same lap as everone else. Very frustrating for sure. :)

Marcs (Bmw) onboard from that incident is funny. Three cars Simon, Joao and him scraping in T1 and Stefan shoots like a rocket through the middle. That would have been a mighty move, if Joao would have seen you. You just came from no where is a lot of speed and nearly took two guys in one corner.

Hurts a bit watching that vid, too bad i got a freeze and was still DQ when i rejoined :(
@Matt Horst what strategy were you on? I was aiming for three 40min. Stints depending on tyre wear and i guess it wouldn`t make it for 1h with max fuel?

Hurts a bit watching that vid, too bad i got a freeze and was still DQ when i rejoined :(
@Matt Horst what strategy were you on? I was aiming for three 40min. Stints depending on tyre wear and i guess it wouldn`t make it for 1h with max fuel?
I think he 1 stopped, but not 100% sure.
He had to fuel save in second stint and had 0.4 litres left at the end.

Hmmm, so the ingame fuel calculator isn`t representative in rFactor? Sorry that stupid question but i`m still new to that game :notworthy:

@Frederic Schornstein do you need something like a RD-WEC-Trailer? Do you still have the replay files from the 2 Nords Races as well? Let me know if i could help out a bit, np.

Hmmm, so the ingame fuel calculator isn`t representative in rFactor? Sorry that stupid question but i`m still new to that game :notworthy:

@Frederic Schornstein do you need something like a RD-WEC-Trailer? Do you still have the replay files from the 2 Nords Races as well? Let me know if i could help out a bit, np.
No it isnt at all Marc.
Either do a reasonable length test say 10 laps and calculate your consumption or
Dash meter pro (an android device required and about £5.00) will do it and give your fuel per lap within .00 of a litre
or
The track Map plugin.
I use Dashmeter Pro as I dont want so much clutter on my screen.

I can most highly recommend trackmap for it. It gives you the last lap by 0.1 L and caculates laps as well as time based on fuel usage and laptimes. If you do only a few representetive laps you get really good data without calculating and writing down. Just go out do two to four laps and then you can start from the pits again with a full tank and it says you exactly the time and laps. Helps as well if you have to save fuel as it tells you for example, that you can do 6.8 Laps when you cross the line, so you know if you save a bit you can extend your stint. Doing all that math will driving works for me, but only if you have a few straights and you can never get it 100%.
I once had a race, which was two stop for everyone, but with saving and monitoring trackmap I managed one stop and finished with 0.1L in the tank. Even if you dont like the other track map stuff you can only show the fuel info, because for me that is one of the things for what trackmap is best.

I really had no strategy going into the race because i joined only an hour before,but i knew i was probably going to be good on tires so i would run the first tank as low as possible and then pit.When the first tank was almost gone it was just past halfway point by a few seconds,so by that i knew i would close on fuel.I did some math on the fly partway into the second stint and knew i had to save a little to make it.It was really close but yeah i got to the end on one stop.:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back